This week's new releases feature John Dowland's melancholic lute music, Mozart's homages to Haydn, and dances played by pianist Benjamin Grosvenor.
With autumn comes a fresh new lineup of symphonic, vocal and chamber music concerts to hear in New York. Below are 20 notable events taking place around the city.
Throughout history, composers have recognized and celebrated the efforts of working men and women. Here are our top five, in honor of Labor Day.
One critic says the word "maestro" (and "maestra") has been overused and it's time to give it a rest. Another critic accuses him of sexism.
Hear how Sir Neville Marriner became the oldest conductor to lead the Proms, in a program with Joshua Bell. Listen to the archived show.
- 'Maestro' or 'Conductor?' Terminology Sparks Critical Spat
- Fall Preview: 20 Classical Music Concerts to Watch For
- Suspects in Murder of New York Violinist Held Without Bail
- Minnesota Orchestra Announces $13.2 Million in Gifts
- Throwback Thursday: WQXR Discusses 'The Lincoln Center' in 1961