New York Philharmonic's Opening Night Gala

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The New York Philharmonic gets a shot of star power as Yo-Yo Ma joins the orchestra for its season-opening gala concert on Wednesday, Sept. 25. WQXR brings you the concert live from Avery Fisher Hall starting at 7:30 pm.

The broadcast features Ma as the soloist in Osvaldo Golijov's Azul, a cello concerto written for him in 2006, and Astor Piazzolla's Suite from La serie del Ángel. Alan Gilbert conducts two Ravel favorites to open and close the program: Alborada del gracioso and the crowd-pleasing Boléro.

AUDIO: Yo-Yo Ma describes the inspiration for Golijov's Azul:

Program:

Ravel: Alborada del gracioso

Osvaldo Golijov: Azul

Piazzolla/arr. Brunetti: Suite from La serie del Ángel

Ravel: Boléro

Alan Gilbert, conductor
Yo-Yo Ma, cellist

See more tweets from the New York Philharmonic opening here.

Howard from Florida

I'm sure you mean tempo and not meter.

Sep. 29 2013 06:21 AM
Howard from Florida

I'm sure you mean tempo and not meter.

Sep. 29 2013 06:21 AM
Les from Miami, Florida

I thought "Alborada del gracioso" was a complete delight in every respect. I didn't like "Azul" at all and don't wish to hear it again. Yo Yo Ma's artistry would have been better served in Tchaikovsky's "Rococo Variations" or even as a "member" of the 'cello section in Bachanias Brasileiras No. 1, which I think would have been novel as well as musically satisfying, in my opinion. The Piazzola/Brunetti suite would have made a charming encore. I feel "Bolero" had a serious miscalculation in a slight rallentando before Number 18, where the key changes from C major to E major: isn't it more telling to pause only one bar before the last and otherwise hold to the same meter throughout? If one's quick to criticize, one should be just as quick to praise, and I have nothing but praise for all those who had solos: flute, E flat clarinet, bassoon (wow!), oboe d'amore, trumpet, tenor saxophone, sopranino saxophone, soprano saxophone, horn and celesta, trombone, (wow!) and,of course, the snare drum (s). The score calls for two. I can hardly wait to see as well as hear the concert again when the delayed broadcast is aired; and I urge one and all to luxuriate in the Ravel pieces and Piazzola/Brunetti pieces, and to give the Golijov piece a second chance, if you're so disposed.

Sep. 28 2013 09:15 AM
Frank from Crooklyn

Good question Bernie. This program is too fluffy for me. Why does the Phil feel the need for concerts like this? I know it's a gala and all but couldn't the challenge us just a little bit with these?

Sep. 25 2013 08:58 PM
Bernie from UWS

So did Golijov compose that piece or did he "compose" it? I know he has a slippery relationship to originality.

Sep. 25 2013 08:48 PM
Claudia from New York City

It has been broadcast live in the past. "Live from Lincoln Center" airing a taped concert three months later doesn't make a lot of sense. But whatever.

Sep. 25 2013 03:22 PM
Jonathan Brown from Lawrence, New York

The concert will be taped for a broadcast later. It will not be broadcast live.

Sep. 25 2013 02:34 PM
Claudia from New York City

Les, I was just wondering the same thing. Is there no television broadcast??

Sep. 25 2013 01:55 PM
Les from Miami, Florida

Thank you, WQXR! If you don't do it, who will? Where are our pals at PBS?

Sep. 25 2013 08:44 AM