Music of the Marathon

Friday, November 05, 2010

This weekend, 45,000 people (including one rescued Chilean miner) will double-knot the laces on their running shoes and take to the streets for the New York City Marathon. Many of them will also secure their iPods and earbuds to keep their pace and inspiration up throughout the grueling course.

For this week's Arts File, Kerry Nolan talked to Daniel Bishop, a music researcher at Brunel University in the U.K. and a marathoner himself. Jesse Ruben, a singer songwriter and first-time marathon runner also stopped by our studio to chat with Kerry. He's running the marathon this weekend for the first time to raise money for the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation in honor of his best friend who was paralyzed.

Guests:

Dr. Daniel Bishop and Jesse Ruben

Hosted by:

Kerry Nolan

Produced by:

Julia Furlan

Tim

great segment! i always find music's physical/emotional effects on people fascinating.

Nov. 12 2010 12:43 PM
WQXR

Susan,

You can always listen to WQXR and Q2 at home through an internet browser by clicking the Listen Now button in the audio player.

For more specifics, check out Audio Help (http://www.wqxr.org/audio/help/) or email Listener Services (listenerservices@wqxr.org).

Nov. 12 2010 09:53 AM
Susan tatum from New York City

How can I tune in to Q2 at home?
I can only get WQXR Q2 in my car.
I like it and would like more!

Nov. 11 2010 06:54 AM
Fred from NYC

This is so stupid and bad programming. Why do QXR announcers always feel like they have to be clowns on radio?

I can't listen to anymore of this.

Nov. 07 2010 12:24 PM
Frank De Canio from Union City, NJ

When I see movement I not infrequenly think of Enesco's Roumanian Rhapsody.

Nov. 07 2010 12:09 PM
Kenneth Bennett Lane from Lake Hiawatha, NJ

Being a long-time runner myself, I would gauge my running in the marathon by starting out at a comfortable pace for me [playing on my ipod perhaps, Ravel's Daphnis & Chloe Suite #2] and then as I "warmed-up" speed up my pace, [playing Tschaikovsky's 1812 Overture], and in the last quarter mile, geared for maximum effort, [playing Wagner' s Ride of the Valkyries.]

Nov. 06 2010 03:39 PM