Just Say No

Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 07:10 AM

As the New Year approaches, people always talk about their resolutions, primarily what they plan to do. But what about what you plan not to do? I saw a piece on the news about a woman who was encouraging mothers not to volunteer so much! Horrors! Seems like a very non-PC thing to say, but what with PTA, non-profits, religious and other volunteer organizations, people are finding less time for their themselves, family and friends.

So I don’t want to know what you plan to do in the New Year... what are you not going to do, so you have more time for you?

Arthur from Kew Gardens

off topic....but please identify the theme music at the end of the Monday night Chamber Music Society program. Thanks.

Dec. 24 2010 04:06 PM
Karen from Long Island, NY

Yes, I heard the end of that last song. It did sound weird.

Dec. 14 2010 10:14 PM
John J. Christiano from Franklin NJ

Saying "no" is hard. Especially after reveling in the glorious exhaustion of saying yes to a cause that you very well know was worthwhile.

This year I am saying "no" to participating in our Christmas Eve music. I will wake up on Christmas Day with the bittersweet memory of not singing with my fellow musicians. Yet I will enjoy being with my family, especially my son who is home from college.

To everything there is a season......

Dec. 14 2010 11:49 AM
Kate from Yonkers NY

This topic has very much been on my mind. Last year, I just said "no" to meat after watching Food Inc., but being the carnivore I am, I'm going to have to go back to my bloodthirsty ways. Trying to think of something else to say no to ... it's actually an easier way to modify behavior: to say "I won't" rather than to say "I will" on Jan. 1st.

Dec. 14 2010 10:55 AM
Michael Meltzer

Just as we all like to believe that deep down inside, we all have a secret poet, Mr. Forrest awakens in all of us our secret accountant!

Dec. 11 2010 04:55 PM

Well Elliott, I'm NOT going to think about what I DON'T like....and I'll focus my attention on what I DO like. ( Like Midge Woolsey's lips!)

Dec. 11 2010 11:31 AM

I'm just going to try to say no more often. We'll see if that works.

Dec. 11 2010 08:23 AM