Sounds of the Season

next episode »

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Trinity Choir, New York Trinity Choir, New York

Today's show features some of Kent Tritle's favorite seasonal music, spanning hundreds of years and performed by some of the world's leading choral ensembles. We sample works by William Byrd, J.S. Bach, Claudio Monteverdi, Nico Muhly and others. Plus, find out which recording of Handel's Messiah is one of your host's favorites.

Is there a recording of Messiah that is special to you? Leave a comment for Kent below!

Don and Joyce Porter from Surprise, AZ

Wonderful music, Kent! We're always so pleased and excited when we hear or read of your great musical career! I still remember listening to you play in the Methodist hall, and asking you to play the Bach (I think) in rag time and you doing it!
We live in AZ in the winter and on a lake north of Brainerd in the summer. If we ever get to NY again, we'd love to come hear you play. Don and Joyce Porter

Feb. 13 2011 01:09 PM
Fletcher from Westchester

Yes, but isn't it unfair to present such work without a printed list of songs, arrangers, choirs and directors? The O Magnum Mysterium at about minute 45 here is gorgeous enough to set off a search like Evangeline's for Gabriel. And what of the seraphic, altogether uncredited Lullee Lullay that closed the program? Shall I now spend my whitening days stumbling across the steppe, Yuri seeking his Lara? Have pity, pray. There is so much winter ahead.

Jan. 26 2011 07:25 PM
Kevin McKeever from New York City

Kent - I love The Choral Mix. The Christmas broadcast was wonderful. Hope it comes out as a podcast very soon! Bravo!!

Dec. 30 2010 09:55 PM
Carol S from Mt.Vernon, NY

Phenomenal programming! This is as good as it gets. The pieces selected are superb and the performances are all, without exception, dazzling.
I would only wish for it to be on at a more congenial hour. Thank you so much for airing this
wonderful addition to the WQXR lineup.

Dec. 27 2010 05:27 PM
paula from tarrytown,NY

Congratulations to Mr. Tritle
for being the first host on WQXR who says it correctly. It is "the classical music station" as he says it not the "classical station" as all the others say it. The station is not CLASSICAL. The music being broadcast is CLASSICAL. Kudos to Mr. Tritle for using the language properly.

Sincerely, Paula Nelson

Dec. 25 2010 06:55 PM
Gev Sweeney from Ocean Grove, New Jersey

Re Sounds of the Season: There is a PERFORMANCE of Messiah that is special to me: The performance by Trinity Church's choir in December 2001, when the WTC was still a smoldering funeral pyre. It seemed to me that the performance, which I heard live over this station, was as much a memorial as it was a celebration of faith and the season.

PS: I really do enjoy The Choral Mix. A program like this requires an incomparable mix of knowledge and entertainment, and Mr. Tritle fits the bill wonderfully. He's a master teacher!

Dec. 25 2010 06:16 PM
Michael Meltzer

Very few people have done as much for choral music in NYC as Lee Ryder.
WQXR would do well to pay attention to anything she has to say on the subject.

Dec. 22 2010 10:59 PM
Lee Ryder from New York, NY

I love choral music and love the fact the WQXR is devoting an hour of programming to it. But if you want to build an audience for choral music it would be great to have the program broadcast at a time when people would be more inclined to listen. I'm a devotee but even I won't get up at 6:45 to tune in -especially on a Sunday morning. Nor am I likely to listen in at 11pm on Sunday. Yes I can stream it when I want, but there's nothing like feeling like it's live, even though we all know it's pre-recorded:) If you're commmitted to this project, please put it in a time slot where fewer people will have to make an effort to hear it.

Dec. 22 2010 07:01 PM
Ben P from NY and CT

Love the format and the mix. Thank you Maestro!

Dec. 22 2010 11:58 AM
Karen from Brooklyn

Loved the selections and commentary, especially the Lauridsen. The Gloria section of the Bach Bminor is the most joyous music...makes one happy to be alive.
Great to have a focus on choral music, great choirs, and Mr. Tritle's insights on my Sunday morning menu. Thank you WQXR.

Dec. 21 2010 10:45 PM
Gary Ekman from New York City

Kent Tritle -- a national treasure. Looking forward to downloading this program each week to play back and savor at work and at home.

Dec. 21 2010 07:27 AM
Steven Lanser from Manhattan

I finally listened to the re-broadcast last night at 11:00 and the program was wonderful. Thank you, Kent! I will certainly be listening to this program whenever I can (probably on-line as I saw that it is now archived). As a long-time avocational choral singer in New York and a long-time member of The Dessoff Choirs, which Kent led so well for 8 years, I regard this as a great benefit for the choral music community and our beloved art.

Dec. 20 2010 04:08 PM
Jody Spellun from New York City

Choral Mix is a wonderful addition to the airwaves! I loved the mix of selections... truly a musical coat of many splendid colors and textures!
Jody

Dec. 20 2010 10:10 AM
Melodee Kornacker from Columbus OH

Lovely! Thanks, Kent and WQXR!

Dec. 20 2010 09:26 AM
Greg Tritle

A wonderful addition to WQXR programming. Loved the guided tour, leaves one longing to return. Bravo Kent!

Dec. 20 2010 12:52 AM
Timothy Parsons from UWS

Absolutely a keeper! Such a necessary addition to the airwaves!

Dec. 20 2010 12:17 AM
Sara York from Novato, CA

Kent,
Thank you for making the holiday season just a little more wonderful! Wish I could see you in person again, but I am sure I will be at home when you are one of these years!

Dec. 19 2010 09:53 PM
Michael Meltzer

As a heretofore unseen ability, Kent Tritle has shown the juxtaposition of musical programming selections for broadcast to be the fine editorial art that it is, like the professional hanging of photography in a gallery.
This is a banner day for WQXR.

Dec. 19 2010 05:43 PM
Bob Kuiper from Spirit Lake, iowa

I started Kent on his Baritone in fifth grade and now to see what he has done with his musical abilities makes me so very proud of him. We love you Kent. (:-)

Dec. 19 2010 03:39 PM
Mallory from Peter Cooper/StuyTown

I'm not much of a singer but this program started my day with "glee" (popular reference intended.)

Dec. 19 2010 02:57 PM
Steven Lanser from Manhattan

I hope I can listen to the program tonight at 11:00 or on line later if it is archived. My wife heard it this morning (she generally gets up earlier than I do) and she said it was wonderful.

Dec. 19 2010 12:25 PM
Alejandro Nolasco from Bronx

Thank you WQXR for yet another exciting addition to your extraordinary line up of programs. I can't think of a more wholesome way to start a cold winter morning than with the beauty that the Western choral tradition has to offer. Major kudos to Mr. Tritle. His passion for choral music seeps right through the speakers, not to mention his erudition. I'm glad that Mr. Tritle opened with For Unto Us a Child is Born (in the setting Handel originally intended!), as opposed to the somewhat hackneyed Messiah. Also, I was fascinated with the fact that, not only were we treated to a musical banquet which included two wonderful settings of O magnum mysterium by two wonderful composers, but we were invited to listen in to a great musical conversation across the centuries between such luminaries as Monteverdi and Bach as well as Lauridsen and Muhly (all equally eloquent in my judgement). Thank you WQXR and thank you Mr. Tritle. I am a fan and look forward to many wonderful Sunday mornings waking up to music and commentary of such beauty and depth. Makes one feel good about being a Westerner.

Dec. 19 2010 10:54 AM
Sally from New York

What a wonderful way to wake up on a Sunday. The choral music was divine and it was so wonderful to have a mix of New York choruses, and also from Europe. Congratulations to Kent Tritle and WQXR for a great new show. I'm a fan.

My favorite recording of the Messiah is the live recording of the concert to celebrate the 800th anniversary of the University of Cambridge and to mark Handel's 250th anniversary of the composer's death which was held at King's College Chapel, Cambridge on April 5, 2009. This concert was broadcast to over 85 movie theaters throughout Europe. The concert was performed by the Choir of King's College, soloists from the Royal Opera House and the Academy of Ancient Music, conducted by Stephen Cleobury and I was lucky enough to be there!

It was a beautiful performance.

Dec. 19 2010 10:01 AM
Michael Elliot Bacon from Jersey City

I would like to also send thanks for this very good program. The music you select is interesting. What I like best is to hear work of current composers, performers and conductors. It is a way for civilians to learn names and do our own research. We suspect that a lot of good choral music is being written, but may not have access to it.

Dec. 19 2010 09:35 AM
Richard Pace

A great holiday gift to the huge choral music community of singers and listeners!

Dec. 19 2010 09:12 AM
SandraL from Stamford,CT

Bravo to WQXR and Kent Tritle for sharing the wealth and beauty of choral music with the radio audience where, in general, choral music is sorely neglected. I'm putting the link on the Greenwich Choral Society's Facebook page and spreading the good news among choral music's numerous participants and fans across the country!

Dec. 19 2010 08:48 AM
DessieMontagna from Long Beach, NY

Fabulous hour of music and commentary by Mr. Tritle! What a treat to hear some of the best representation of choral music there is. An amazing organist, conductor, teacher and musician, Mr. Tritle is the perfect tour guide. Thank you for having him and I look forward to more choral tours by neighborhood in exciting and "colorful" New York City. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Dec. 19 2010 08:42 AM
Rev.Ted Voelker from New York, New York

Heavenly! A 60 minute music program with almost 60 minutes of music! The world class quality of the music and choirs was delightful. If one is comfortable with meditation and/or prayer, listening to this music could be an occasional substitute for the traditional church's emphasis on the spoken, as opposed to sung, word.

Dec. 19 2010 08:25 AM
David Kornacker from the UWS

Great debut -- very much looking forward to being a regular listener.

Dec. 19 2010 08:12 AM
Ellie from Maplewood

Congratulations to Kent Tritle for hosting The Choral Mix. A host who really knows choral music. Carry on...

Dec. 19 2010 08:03 AM
Michael Meltzer

One of the most uplifting hours of radio programming I have ever heard.

Dec. 19 2010 07:59 AM
Gev Sweeney from Ocean Grove, New Jersey

Love ya, Mr. T, and I wish you the best success with the program that used to be called Choral Fixation. With all respect, though-- and this is from a PR and executive communication consultant-- you sound as if you're reading liner notes to us, not conversing with us. Not at all like the Kent Tritle we heard before the Trinity Messiah presentation on WQXR last week. Please do just be yourself!

Dec. 19 2010 07:54 AM

A great "Mix!" Very cool to hear picks from the choral master himself, Kent Tritle. I really liked the Muhly.

Dec. 19 2010 07:48 AM
Clyde from White Plains

I am delighted to stumble into what is apparently the first day of the Choral Mix on my web radio. Kent Tritle truly is everywhere in the vast NY music scene and so glad to actually hear his thoughts and comments on other music. This is a keeper for my schedule which is also a good prelude for my 9AM church rehearsal. Thanks WQXR for another winner.

Dec. 19 2010 07:23 AM