An Early Music Christmas

Sunday, December 26, 2010

From Gregorian Chant to J.S. Bach, The Choral Mix presents music of exquisite beauty in celebration of the Christmas holiday. The Hilliard Ensemble gets medieval with some music written by Perotin for the cathedral of Notre Dame, while New York’s own Pomerium give their account of Josquin Deprez’s music.

Coming off performances with The New York Philharmonic, The New York Oratorio Society and Musica Sacra, Kent has Messiah on the brain! He shares what he likes so much about John Eliot Gardiner’s rendition. The critically acclaimed quartet New York Polyphony is also featured on this show. This group is a rising star all over the world in early music and they share motets from their recording “I sing the Birth”, including one that reminds us of why chant is so timeless. Join us for all of this and more on The Choral Mix with Kent Tritle.

James Wetzel

It is so wonderful to have such an articulate practitioner of the choral art talking about it and sharing his breadth of knowledge and passion.

Feb. 18 2011 12:58 AM
Gary Ekman

Wow - New York Polyphony and Pomerium were real eye-openers for me. Makes me realize there's so much about choral music I don't know. Listening to each installment of this program is like taking a master class with a college professor. Fantastic!

Jan. 18 2011 07:30 AM
Pat Hammarth from NYC

Now on Jan. 9th,I finally had the chance to listen to this program. I really enjoyed the music and the commentary. Thanks,Kent!

Jan. 09 2011 06:51 PM
DiAnn Pierce

Since I was traveling on December 26th, I accessed this program later through your Archives, which is a wonderful way to catch up with programs that I missed. However, I do wish the timing of Kent's wonderful programs were more user-friendly. Only devoted fans will be likely to tune in so early in the morning or so late at night. Of course, I'm a devoted fan!

Jan. 06 2011 10:49 AM
Joanne from Connecticut

This was beautiful, and perfect for the day. Would love to be able to listen again!

Dec. 29 2010 03:33 PM
Richard Pace from NYC

I missed the program on its original date. I hope the online stream will be up soon.

Dec. 28 2010 12:36 PM
Steven Lanser from Manhattan

As a long-time choral singer and lover of early music, I found this show wonderful! I particularly enjoyed hearing New York Polyphony. Thanks again, Kent! My only concern is that a program dedicated to our beloved art is aired at a rather inconvenient time for many of us (I heard the re-broadcast at 11:00 PM and can catch the show on-line when it is archived). The choral repetiore is so rich and Kent has so much to contribute to a broader listening audience, so it would be better if the program were aired at a different time.

Dec. 27 2010 05:59 PM
Michael Meltzer

I second Mr. Bullough, whom I recall to be one of the finest organists and choral conductors in the state of New Jersey.

Dec. 26 2010 10:50 PM
John Bullough

With so many wonderful things happening on WQXR, it would be hard to pick a favorite. Kent Tritle's Choral Mix, however, is a real treasure. No one in the NYC area is better qualified to present and comment on this great music than Tritle.

Dec. 26 2010 05:03 PM

Another great show. Kudos for bringing together the old and the new in such a seamless and smart way. Most of the choral repertoire is new to me, and this programming is informative, thought-provoking, and a pleasure to listen to -- the music is just beautiful.

Dec. 26 2010 12:19 PM
Stanley Grayson from Brooklyn, NY

I am rather a stranger to Christmas choral music. I've had little exposure to it, probably because of its religiious emphasis. I found the music delicate and, of course, quite spiritual, The narrative was well-informed, well-explained and clear. If anything was missing, it was its lack of passion.--it was slightly on the dry side. The narrator's credits are very impressive.

Dec. 26 2010 08:48 AM

Dear WQXR,

Mr. Tritle's enthusiasm is refreshing and informative, and the music is beautiful. The choral format is a wonderful addition to your Sunday morning programming. Thank you!

Pamela Butler

Dec. 26 2010 08:22 AM
Sandra Maury from New York City

This program is great! Just what I want on Sunday morning.
Thanks.