Shara Worden, Sarah Kirkland Snider and yMusic

Live Audio Webcast of New Sounds Live from Merkin Concert Hall's Ecstatic Music Festival

Monday, March 14, 2011

On Wednesday, March 16 at 7:30 p.m., Q2 and New Sounds Live team up to bring you a live Webcast from Merkin Concert Hall hosted by WNYC's John Schaefer. Part of the inaugural Ecstatic Music Festival, this evening features composer/vocalist Shara Worden and the stunning sextet yMusic performing works by Worden and Sarah Kirkland Snider.

This evening's show features the multi-talented Shara Worden wearing both her composer and performer hats. yMusic premieres a work written for them by Worden and the classical/indie vocalist joins the instrumentalists on stage in selections from Snider's recent 2010 release, Penelope, a song cycle featuring Worden as vocalist. Q2 regulars, these performers are also featured in Q2 Live Concerts in their recent show at Greenwich Village's (Le) Poisson Rouge.

This performance by Shara Worden and yMusic is the third of four New Sounds Live broadcasts on Q2 from Merkin's Hall's Ecstatic Music Festival. Check out our other two Web Casts; the 2011 People's Commissioning Fund concert and Newspeak and Darcy James Argue's Secret Society. The final broadcast on March 28 features So Percussion and Bobby Previte.

Thanks to our friends at WNYC's Studio 360 for this in-studio premiere of Shara Worden and yMusic performing Worden's We Added It Up (Filmed and edited by Michael Guerriero). Also check out this QTube video filmed by Q2's own Nadia Sirota while in rehearsal with Shara Worden and yMusic.

Hosted by:

John Schaefer

Sam from Redlands, CA

Thank you for playing such wonderful music. Shara Worden and Sarah Kirkland Snider are so talented and it is so exciting to hear selections that I have not yet heard by them.

May. 24 2011 01:45 PM

Cheers to PorterAnderson!!

Mar. 17 2011 07:35 AM

Another of Q2's super live events -- where the logic of this new-media station and its New Music focus really come together.

When I can't be in the city in-person for a concert -- and whether posted to Rome or Copenhagen, or listening as i was tonight just 1,125 miles from Merkin Concert Hall -- I'm getting every note and nuance. In the careful inclusion of the online audience made by hosts John and Jad, and in the collegial tweet conversations and exhilarating Nadia-hosted live chats, I feel part of the moment and fortunate to be able to hear these artists work in real-time.

This is why I opted to contribute to the live-concert fund when I increased my donation to Q2 recently in the pledge drive. Connection, inclusion, access is everything these days. You're givng me chances to communicate with the dedicated people of Q2 and with some of these artists during live events (as when we chatted with Todd Reynolds recently). And I can learn and follow their work in the day-to-day stream and in Nadia's "New Music insider" programming. This is what what makes Q2 irresistible.

You're doing it right. The more live events, the better. Keep it up and we'll all keep working with you to build the audience that Q2 and New Music deserve!

Mar. 17 2011 12:20 AM
Catherine from Pelham, MA

Thank you for an excellent evening of lovely sounds. I tuned in quite by accident and was completely stunned. I do so hope this will be made available for listening and sharing after this evening. I'd love to hear these pieces again.

Mar. 16 2011 10:38 PM
Emily Motherwell from NYC

I had to be working from home tonight, and it's AMAZING to be able to listen (with such wonderful sound quality!) to this concert that I'm obliged to miss. My sincere thanks to Merkin, Ecstatic, Shara Worden & co, and most especially to WQXR/Q2 for making this possible. Will this be available for listening afterwards? I hope so!

Mar. 16 2011 10:14 PM
Daniel J Kushner from Buffalo, NY

Thank you so much for making this concert available via live webcast. For those of us unable to be there in person, this was absolutely essential. And as has already been noted during the #yShara live-tweet discussion, the sound quality is excellent. I can't say enough about the tremendous value of Q2. Thank you!

Mar. 16 2011 09:03 PM
Christopher McGovern from Beacon Falls, CT

It's incredible. It's not something you'll hear at Poppy's Bar & Grill, that's for certain. :)

Mar. 16 2011 09:02 PM