Spring Has Sprung

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

crocus early spring flowers crocus (tejvan/flickr)

Spring is finally here and although Mother Nature has not been so cooperative, let's hope that "April showers bring May flowers."

You told us Vivaldi's "Spring" from the Four Seasons best evokes Spring and we played it today at 12 noon.

Schumann's Spring Symphony

Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring

Vivaldi's Four Seasons: Spring

Mike Handelsman

The "Pastoral" Symphony will probably get my vote when QXR calls for a favorite summer-evoking composition, some Wednesday in June or July.

Apr. 13 2011 11:47 PM
Michael Meltzer

Th eight citations of the Beethoven: SYmphony #6 (Pastoral) as reminiscent of spring are from listeners who understand that content is more important than whatever words happen to be in a title.

Apr. 13 2011 07:04 PM
Miriam from Netherlands

Love you for vivaldi

Apr. 13 2011 12:10 PM
zenjew

Vivaldi's Spring -- oh boy, one of the most overplayed pieces out there. Sure, it's nice, but c'mmon, play something that we haven't heard a zillion times before. Sheesh, WQXR, are you trying to bore us to death??? Listen to Ezra Pound's advice and "make it new."

Apr. 13 2011 12:08 PM
John Culhane from Westchester County

I have loved every choice of Walt and Stokowski for "Fantasia" since I was seven, including "Rite of Spring", but the music that Schumann composed when he was played by Paul Henreid in "Song of Love" when I was eleven gets chosen this spring for that kind of love.

Apr. 13 2011 12:00 PM
ArtM from NYC

Which one is the longest playing?

Apr. 13 2011 11:52 AM

Something different please! Play the Schumann, if not Beethoven's Pastoral symphony.

Apr. 13 2011 11:51 AM
ravenelvenlady

How about something different? Play the Schumann!

Apr. 13 2011 11:49 AM
Monica Lira from Brooklyn

Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. Totally agree with Marie M. from Manhattan's comments on the piece.

Apr. 13 2011 11:47 AM
Hans-Hartwig Ehlers from New York City

Robert Schumann for sure, he has been under appreciated even by my favorite
radio station until recently.

Apr. 13 2011 11:43 AM
Steve Lepp from Verona, NJ

For me, the Vivaldi evokes the the wonderful spirit of rebirth of Spring, each day bringing a new return of life!!

Apr. 13 2011 11:37 AM
dirk baron herbst from basel/switzerland

@lynn: you're right! -
i vote for schumann because he is in music what lenz and büchner etc. for the written poems still are... -
(but somebuddy forgot SCHUBERT!)
d.

Apr. 13 2011 11:37 AM
Paula Whitney Best, MA, JD from NYC

Good Morning.

Unquestionably, I vote for the Schumann! Nothing evokes spring like the Spring Symphony.

Apr. 13 2011 11:37 AM
Lorraine Nanko from Bronx, NY

Vivaldi! Now and always. Viva Vivaldi!

Apr. 13 2011 11:36 AM
ron from Eastern Mass

Rite of spring to awaken us on the gloomy day

Apr. 13 2011 11:34 AM
Miriam from Netherlands

Please vivaldi its spring

Apr. 13 2011 11:32 AM
vicky c from Queens NY

Viva Vivaldi!!!!!

Apr. 13 2011 11:32 AM
howard smythe from Brooklyn, New York

I vote for Schumann. He was the quintessential romantic composer. And when I think of spring I think of romantc love. Let's go for the Spring Symphony!

Apr. 13 2011 11:29 AM
f russo

Vivaldi Four Seasons is my choice on this gloomy April day. The birds will cheer us and get us thru the gloom.

regards, F Russo, Westbury NY

Apr. 13 2011 11:13 AM
bunbury from High Bridge, NJ

Well, if the question is "...which piece best evokes Spring for you" I'd have to go with the Schumann, even though it's a wasted vote against those 2 great warhorses. Frankly, I'm hearing a little too much Vivaldi from you folks, especially in the morning, and I have to wonder about anyone picking RoS for their Spring evocation.

Apr. 13 2011 11:11 AM
lynn silberman from manhattan

of your offerings, the only choice is schuman! i cannot listen to yet another 'sacre' and vivaldi seems so recently played.

Apr. 13 2011 11:09 AM

very interesting comments and agree with most of then - in particular, you often leave out some music i would have included in your choices - but the first music that sprang to mind was Vivaldi followed by Beethoven's 6th and i do love Haydn's "The Seasons"

Apr. 13 2011 11:04 AM

You are leaving out the most appropriate spring song for the current weather: Frank Loesser's song "Spring Will Be a Little Late This Year." The song comes from Robert Siodmak's 1944 film "Christmas Holiday."

Apr. 13 2011 11:03 AM
Richard L Dunklee from Laurel Springs, NJ

What about Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring?

Apr. 13 2011 11:02 AM
Yolanda from NJ

Vivaldi...the true passage to Spring.

Apr. 13 2011 11:00 AM
amycello from Whitestone, NY

I'll go for Schumann, just to vote for the underdog. He's a wonderful composer and under-appreciated. Although I remember when Vivaldi was the underdog in the 1950s.

Apr. 13 2011 10:59 AM
jacquie l. from manhattan

I voted for the Vivaldi, but would love to hear beethoven's 6th, truly spring evoking. We sure do need it!

Apr. 13 2011 10:58 AM
Mike Handelsman from Kensington, in Brooklyn

None of your choices! But William from Upper West Side comes the closest in naming Haydn. When will the Master ever get his overdue recognition from QXR for his VOCAL output? "Spring", the opening part of "The Seasons", is as rich in choral, solo and instrumental melody as any oratorio in the repertoire. And it bursts at the seems with the evocation of spring!

Apr. 13 2011 10:58 AM
Randall Gabrielan from Middletown NJ

The Schuman's verve conveys the excitement of a new season to me. However, my dog, who gets worked up over the first dead bird of spring on the lawn, votes for the Stravinsky.

Apr. 13 2011 10:57 AM
ralph fasano from paerl river ny

I have to say "none of the above". I was working in Hong Kong from 1973 to 1976 and came across a cassette tape in the China Products store tilted "Early Spring in the South". The title song is my favorite, and I play it each year. It is based on an old Chinese poem, set to violin and piano. I do not have a digital version, or I would send it to you to broadcast during your Spring has Sprung program.

Apr. 13 2011 10:54 AM
Lori from East Meadow NY

Honestly I don't particularly like any of the choices, though Vivaldi would have gotten my vote, I'd much prefer Beethoven's 6th The Pastoral, maybe that would nudge Mother Nature into bringing us a real Spring.

Apr. 13 2011 10:51 AM
Kate from Long Island

Beethoven's 6th popped into my head too, but I'll settle for a Russian spring!

Stravinsky, please!!!

Apr. 13 2011 10:46 AM

I would ordinarily cast my vote for Vivaldi, but yesterday and last night, and again this morning, the weather forces me to go with dinosaurs and Stravinsky. The "right" of spring, indeed.

Apr. 13 2011 10:43 AM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

I voted for the Schumann today, although what really evokes spring for me is the first movement of Mahler's Symphony #1.
I also have to say that even though I do not like the Stravinsky, I loved the comment by Diane from Tennesee, and I completely agree!

Apr. 13 2011 10:30 AM
John Goodwin from Demarest, NJ

Greetings, I vote for The Rite of Spring.
Recently I viewed a movie from Netflix, "Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky" and, of course, the "Rite" was an important part of the film. A few years ago BAM put on the Rite of Spring including the ballet, terrific.

Best wishes, John Goodwin

Apr. 13 2011 10:30 AM
elspeth from Tribeca

The delicious breaking forth of Stravinsky's "Rites" is right for me on a leaf-popping day like today.

Apr. 13 2011 10:21 AM
William from Upper West side near Lincoln Center

For me, a very personal choice that bears no obvious direct relation to spring: Haydn's Symphony #88 in G major. To my ear, there is something very fresh, renewed in that wonderful piece of music. Otherwise, another personal spring favorite of mine: Dvorak's Symphony #8, also in G major.

Apr. 13 2011 10:11 AM
Norman Dee from Manhasset, LI

I have voted for Vivaldi. It's my choice in terms of sheer joy. The Rite is a great work with its dark side. The Schuman is wonderful too but I am a fool for the Vivaldi.

Beethoven's 6th? You could play this everyday as far as I'm concerned.

Apr. 13 2011 10:11 AM
Donal McNally

Le Sacre du Printemps, please - it's been that kind of Spring so far.

Apr. 13 2011 10:06 AM
Michael from St. Petersburg, Florida

From that list, the Vivaldi....

Apr. 13 2011 10:02 AM
Diane from Tennessee

Let's go with the Stravinsky. Perhaps some of these crazy Republicans will hear it and think that the Obama Death Squad is after them.

Apr. 13 2011 10:00 AM
Joan Kramer

Stravinsky's Rite of Spring is my vote.

Apr. 13 2011 09:57 AM
Marie M. from Manhattan

My vote is for Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring." It offers a more nuanced musical depiction of the difficulties, highs and lows of the Season. Not just the blossoming, lyrical ideal of spring, but also the explosive, reluctant death of what came before and what waits for us in the time when we want the hope of new life and have to accept some of the turbulence and uncertainty of change.

Apr. 13 2011 09:44 AM
peter simeti from Long Island

I think the Primavera section of Ottotino Respighi's Il Trittico Botticelliano would be appropriate, I want to hear Stravinsky's masterpice.

Apr. 13 2011 09:04 AM
ROBERTBENNETTROSENBERG from EAST BRUNSWICK, NJ

DEAR MS WOOLSEY/"MIDGE":
IT'S AN EXTREMELY PLEASURE OF MINE TO CONTACT U!!!!! UR ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL!
ANYWAY! I THINK:
VIVALDI'S "VIER JAHRZEITEN" (SPELLING - OOOOOPS!!!!!)/"FRUHLING"/"SPRING" IS APPROPRIATE! EVEN IF JEFF, MADE A COMMENT ABOUT "THE BIRDS" CHIRPPING IN THE BACKGROUND R ANNOYING! THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF THE PIECE.
THANX! ROBERT B. "BOBBY' ROSENBERG
PS: ENJOY UR DAY!!!!! 8>)

Apr. 13 2011 08:20 AM
Danielle Burchman from New Rochelle, NY

Vivaldi, please!

Apr. 13 2011 08:17 AM
elb from Princeton, NJ

Britten's "Spring Symphony." Definitely.

Apr. 13 2011 07:08 AM
Shelly Hoffman

You could have offered Beethoven's Pastoral or Copeland's Appalachian Spring (although I think that one relates to a spring of water, but Spring-like nevertheless). I look forward to summer...

Apr. 13 2011 06:30 AM
Barry Owen Furrer

Besides the great selections already mentioned, perhaps Goldmark's "In Springtime" Overture?

Apr. 13 2011 04:34 AM
joshua daniel

If you have time for a short beauty I recommend the lovely Sibelius Spring Song opus 16

Apr. 13 2011 03:42 AM
Michael Meltzer

None of the above.
Beethoven: Symphony #6. For sure!

Apr. 13 2011 01:48 AM