Remembering Jacqueline Du Pré

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fifty years ago, Jacqueline Du Pré made her formal debut at London's Wigmore Hall. She was only 16, but soon became recognized as one of the greatest cellists of modern times. You chose Elgar's Cello Concerto and we played it today at 12 noon.

Listen to the works below.

Elgar's Cello Concerto

Brahms's Cello Sonata in E Minor

Chopin's Cello Sonata

Dvorak's Cello Concerto

Eileen from New York,

My son is a graduate of Eastman and lives in Vienna. I sent him the link and asked him to vote (I knew what he would pick) but i had to ask him which one he chose? His answer was, the Elgar of course. As someone previously stated SHE owns that one. I voted the same as my son - just wish I had been able to hear her in person lucky the person who has.

Apr. 20 2011 05:53 PM
Frederick Krantz from North Palm Beach

Back in the 1960s, I was fortunate enough to hear Jacqueline DuPre perform the Elgar concerto at the Festival Hall with John Barbarolli conducting. I recall it was an extremely touching performance and several audience members sitting around me were moved to tears.

Apr. 20 2011 02:14 PM
Phyllis Murphy from New Jerwsey

The Elgar . When I think of Jacque I think of the Elgar

Apr. 20 2011 12:00 PM

She was a Master of all the selections you have on the list. However, I'm with Brooklyn and would like to hear (and see, if avail) more of her masterful performances that do not usually get as much airplay. So my vote is for the Chopin! Thanks!

Apr. 20 2011 11:47 AM
Jan Schwartz from Vacaville, CA

The Elgar - unquestionably. I cannot hear 3 notes from the piece without remembering Ms. DuPre, her artistry, and her tragedy.

Apr. 20 2011 11:45 AM
Gerry DeChaves from Summit, New Jersey

I know the Elgar is the better known but the way Dupree plays the Dvorak makes that one my favorite. Please play Dvorak's.

Apr. 20 2011 11:40 AM
Monroe from Brooklyn, NY

By selecting the MOST POPULAR you are just lowering standards. Please offer the LEAST POPULAR so that listeners will get to know that also! In this case probably the Brahms.

Apr. 20 2011 11:40 AM
Charles Adelman from New York

I played cello in high school and college in the '60s and worshipped her. Her Dvorak is the warmest recording of it I have ever heard.

Apr. 20 2011 11:37 AM
Judith Waldhorn from Queens NY

I love all of them, but for Dupre it's Elgar.
Thank you!

Apr. 20 2011 11:33 AM
Sinead Ferramosca

The best ever cellist. Elgar, please, it evokes everything about her, her music and her life spent in Oxford. The Jacqueline du Pre music building at St Hilda's College Oxford, is named in her honor. My daughter of 12 has been privileged to play and take her violin examinations there. Thank you for remembering and honoring her.

Apr. 20 2011 11:24 AM
Heather Walters

The Dvorak, please

Apr. 20 2011 11:16 AM
harrietb98 from Bayside, NY

For the late, great Jacqueline DuPre, it HAD to be the Elgar.

Apr. 20 2011 11:15 AM
Ruth from Poughkeepsie, NY

At first,I thought: Dvorak. then so many said Elgar, so I listened again.

It has to be Dvorak.

Apr. 20 2011 11:01 AM
Randy Baer from Los Angeles

Jaqueline Du Pre, of course, owned the Elgar, especially in the famed Barbirolli recording. Others have come close, particularly, recently, Muller-Schott. But, Du Pre's temperment seemed especially right for Elgar. And, that one, not the others, is, was, and will be considered her signature piece.

Apr. 20 2011 11:00 AM
roslyn Weinrauch from NYC

With her early death, DuPre leaves a relatively small body of recorded music. Why not play more than one throughout the day. That would truly be commemorative.

Apr. 20 2011 11:00 AM
Sue Hartt from New Haven, CT

Choosing among those four is rather like choosing among Matisse paintings: extremely difficult but not impossible. For me, the Dvorak.

Apr. 20 2011 10:55 AM
Denise Bayar from White Plains

Yes Elgar but, I am immersed in it so much that I want to hear the Dvorak more often. I don't have that recording.

Apr. 20 2011 10:41 AM
joan from Summit, NJ

Please, the Dvorak!

Apr. 20 2011 10:33 AM
Erwin Raith from Hackensack, N.J.

The choices are all wonderful performances,
but I vote for the Brahms, because it shows
up so rarely on radio

Apr. 20 2011 10:19 AM
Ruth Barratt from New York

Please - the Elgar! Her name and Elgar's are synonymous?

Why only one piece? She is worthy of two.

Apr. 20 2011 10:18 AM
Bruce from Long Island, NY

No one, has more emotion, feeling and spirit when it comes to the cello - no one! My favorite cellist.

Apr. 20 2011 10:17 AM
Diane from Tennessee

Please play the Elgar. She owned that piece.

Apr. 20 2011 10:15 AM
RP from West Village

Without a doubt, the Elgar.

Apr. 20 2011 10:13 AM
Gerald

It's Elgar unquestioningly. Her performance of this magnificent concerto made it her own. This music limned her life.

Apr. 20 2011 09:52 AM
CelloKitten from Floral Park, NY

I am so happy that the showdown is about the cello today! I am 8 years old and I play the cello. I am playing a minuet by Bach.

My favorite piece is the Elgar. I like to watch it on youtube. My favorite radio station is WQXR and I like to listen to it on my mp3 player!

Apr. 20 2011 09:49 AM
sara brewster

I never tire of hearing her recordings. A warm and wonderful musician who left us too soon. I love them all but the Elgar reigns supreme

Apr. 20 2011 09:37 AM
Helen Urbach Kotler from Pompton Plains, NJ

Love any music for the cello and Jacqueline du Pre as well. It's a difficult choice, but I think I vote for the Chopin, since I'm not as familiar with it, as with the other pieces.

Apr. 20 2011 09:36 AM
Danielle Burchman from New Rochelle, NY

They're all lovely, but I favor the Elgar.

Apr. 20 2011 09:32 AM
Paula Whitney Best, MA, JD from New York, NY

Good Morning. Ms. Du Pre is a martyr. There has been no one like her before or since. She will live on in our hearts forever. . .

PS I vote for the Elgar.

Apr. 20 2011 09:28 AM
Helmut Wilhart from Whippany, NJ

The Dvorak is without a doubt the most
beautiful cello concert ever written. If DuPre plays it, it will be a feast for the
ears.

Apr. 20 2011 09:26 AM
Sue from westchester

Play anything by Jacqueline. She was a wonderful artist, very expressive and so musical without all the dramatics you see today. Thank you for honoring her today.

Apr. 20 2011 08:59 AM
Catherine from Philadelphia

I love cello music in general, but Jacqueline brought to the instrument and the music a passion and sensitivity that in my opinion no other cellist has matched. Her playing of the Elgar concerto, that the disheartened Elgar wrote after WWI, brings tears to my eyes every time I listen to it.

Apr. 20 2011 08:55 AM
Judy from Westchester, NY

It's Du Pre playing Elgar, all the way. Love It! Love It! Love It!

Apr. 20 2011 08:45 AM
Marie from Wanamassa, NJ

I am so happy to see Jackie being remembered in this way.

When I was a teenager in the late 60's, she made classical music seem cool. She was different from the overly serious, buttoned down musicians, she kept her hair long and she seemed to be having so much fun. Just the things a shallow kid would find appealing. By the time I could truly appreciate her talent, she couldn't play anymore. What a gift to have her wonderful recordings.

These days I relate to Jackie because I also have MS. I write about her in my blog every January, the month of her birth. I do this partly to honor her memory but also, selfishly, to raise awareness of MS and it's devastating toll.

All the choices presented here are great ones, but I have to go with the Elgar. I am not usually a big Elgar fan, but this video is so moving it is irresistible. Thank you, WQXR!

Apr. 20 2011 07:37 AM

Love all of 'em! But when I hear "Jacqueline Du Pre," I always "hear" the Elgar cello concerto.

Apr. 20 2011 07:20 AM
Frederic Wile

I say Jacquelin perform the Haydn cello concerto with the Israeli symphony at a fund raiser following the '67 war. I never forgot it and would love to hear it again.

Apr. 20 2011 07:19 AM
Listener

Apr. 20 2011 07:02 AM
donald wigal from New York

I would love to hear the andantes or slowest movement from all four and on another day the final movements of all four. Or, just the Elgar if we mujst color within the lines.

About DuPre, be still my heart.

Location is NYC before noon. at noon I sore elsewhere.

Apr. 20 2011 06:47 AM
Joe

Let me take a wild guess at the winner...

I'm going to go with the Chopin because it's played the most often and, as we know from previous showdowns, this usually bodes well for it's chances.

Apr. 20 2011 06:29 AM
Michael Meltzer

Which three presidents shall we remove from Mount Rushmore?

Apr. 20 2011 01:19 AM