Hope Springs Atonal

Your Entrée to the Wilds of Extended Tonality

Friday, January 29, 2010

Whether you're atonal, bitonal, polytonal, or just tonally curious, you'll love Hope Springs Atonal. Join Nadia Sirota weekdays at 1 a.m. and p.m. for Q2's explorative feature devoted to the high-octane world of post-tonal music.

From Xenakis to Stockhausen, Messiaen to Mackey, Nadia provides an accessible entrée into this exciting repertoire, serving as a guide and fellow traveler through a still-largely uncharted musical terrain, ripe for exploration.

Hope Springs Atonal kicks off this week with Répons by Pierre Boulez, but will also feature Toru Takemitsu, Mari Kimura, John Luther Adams, Conlon Nancarrow, among many others. Upcoming themes include chance-based music, microtonality, collage, and good old-fashioned serialism.

Hope Springs Atonal will air during Nadia Sirota on Q2, which runs from 12-4, both a.m. and p.m. Send us your thoughts about the program and suggestions for your favorite composers who, until now, have not been heard on the radio.

R. Gross from nyc

Thanks for you most excellent show-within-a-show. I heard you assuring the frightened that the whole hour won't be devoted to only atonal music, but I wish it would. One hour is not much to ask in return for the work of over one hundred years of talented and dedicated composer/performers. The fears of the queasy can, I think, be safely ignored!

Feb. 22 2010 01:23 PM

One program is produced and it is streamed twice, once at midnight and once at noon.

I am also a big fan. I am so much enjoying the new gig that I tried to buy a portable HD radio to use when I have to leave the house or office during the noon stream. No such luck, no reception where I live 35 miles from New York City.

Feb. 12 2010 12:59 PM
Vic

I'm a fan of Nadia Sirota both as a performer and as a radio show host. With her knowledge of music and insight, it's great that she's featured twice a day.
Is the midnight show a re-broadcast of the mid-day show, or does each time slot have a different musical selection and mood ?

Feb. 12 2010 11:20 AM
Elliot from youngstown oh

Just discovered Q2 and I'm glad I did. Don't know any other on-line or radio source for outstanding modern challenging music. When I'm in the mood for modern, now I know where to go. Keep it varied and eclectic!

Feb. 10 2010 03:14 PM

I absolutely love your show description! And Q2 is an awesome station - keep up the great work!

Feb. 09 2010 09:46 AM

I think I overspoke about what Innova is doing. I think that this fan thing should do what I want. But I have not received anything yet on my Facebook page.

I think that one can also grab the RSS URL and put it into one's Facebook page as a link, which is what I did with my blog. I am going to try that.

I will come back with any results.

Feb. 06 2010 07:06 AM

So, now I am a "friend" of Q2 on Facebook.

Does that mean that Q2 items will appear on my Facebook page, which is what I want?

Or do I still need to come to the Q2 Facebook page to get new items?

Feb. 06 2010 04:53 AM

Re:Facebook "friending".

This absolutely can be done. http://innova.mu, the public face of the American Composers Forum in St Paul, MN did it. I get stuff from them EVERY DAY. On my Facebook page.

American Composers Forum, http://composersforum.org

Philip Blackburn, Chris Campbell are the two people I know. You can use my name with either Philip or Chris. I hesitate to put phone numbers or email addresses on the Comments page. You can either get them from the web site, or, you have my email address. You can email to me and I will respond.

Feb. 05 2010 12:41 PM

To access the Q2 facebook, page please follow the following link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Q2/173264569216?ref=ts Though no one can become a "friend" because of the way facebook differentiates people from organizations, you can still become a "fan" by clicking on the appropriate icon. Thanks for your support!

Feb. 05 2010 10:03 AM

I just discovered the Q2 Facebook page. I have an alert set for WQXR and an item came up. I would like to "friend", or whatever one calls it, the Q2 Facebook page so that items appear on my own page.

I cannot find where or how to do this.

Feb. 05 2010 08:33 AM

Brian, I don't know about the chanceswithwolves; but I looked at the NPR links. I use NPR/music a great dea. I recognize all of what is there. On all of those links, including all of the music links, that material is available for listening and/or download with the permission o0f the copyright owner. There is no getting around any legalities.

Feb. 03 2010 09:03 PM
Bryan T from Yakima, WA

I, like Brian, would love to be able to listen to this at my convince - I'm quite a busy studier and rarely have time for anything that is outside of necessity, family responsibility, or class responsibility that is scheduled.... I find the podcast/ streaming modality to be quite excellent.
Below are two other groups who have different methods of circumventing this legality issue:

Feb. 03 2010 07:36 PM

Hey, nice comment in Alex Ross' blog.

Feb. 02 2010 10:42 PM
drBluz from Blanchard, PA 16826

I have been listening to Q2 since its inception during The Great WQXR Reformation Period. Thank The-God-That-Does-Not-Exist. _Hope Springs Atonal_ is awesome. I can't believe it's wafting thru the ether. I do listen to a few other classical stations (like WQXR) and a jazz station as well as some weird ambient aural wallpaper music, but Q2 beats 'em all and dominates my aural environment. Late night, especially during The Hour of the Wolf, Q2 can't be beat. BTW: I was raised on WQXR in the 50's! So it's practically in my genes. As a kid I never could have imagined this. The kid in me is ecstatic. Thanks so very much! love&evolution: dB

Feb. 02 2010 01:49 PM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your interest and appreciation for Hope Springs Atonal. Unfortunately, we are not legally able to offer any music downloads from commercially released CDs. However, you will be able to view the tracks featured on this segment on the Q2 playlists and obtain the material in that manner. Best wishes and thanks for your support!

Feb. 01 2010 03:23 PM
Brian H from NYC

I LOVE this idea and can't wait to listen!

Can you make it accessible as a download too, so I can listen when I have time? I work in the afternoons and sleep at night.

Jan. 31 2010 10:16 AM