Happy Birthday Sergei Prokofiev

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sergei Prokofiev was born this week in 1891. You told us you wanted to hear his Romeo and Juliet ballet and we played it today at 12 noon.

Greg

Love the Classical Symphony. However, where oh where is our Long Island and shoreline Connecticut signal like on 96.5?

Promises made, promises broken.

Apr. 27 2011 06:30 PM
Michael Meltzer

The William Kappell boxed set cited by Mr. Schnall is reviewed by Tim Page for the Washington Post at:

Apr. 27 2011 02:34 PM
Neil Schnall

Toby, excellent choice! Although RCA released a boxed set of the "complete" recordings of William Kapell on CD, I seriously doubt a single recording of his has ever been aired on the new WQXR. More's the pity, as he was one of the great pianists, his life tragically cut short by an airplane crash, leaving behind a young family. Fortunately, he recorded prodigiously during his short life. We'll just have to enjoy his recorded legacy privately, I guess.

Apr. 27 2011 12:58 PM

Miles is right about Cyril Ritchard. "Peter and the Wolf" was my first classical LP (1957), with "Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra" on side 2. What a wonderful way to meet the orchestra!

Apr. 27 2011 12:05 PM
jacqueline llewellyn

Apr. 27 2011 12:02 PM
Hollis Wagenstein

Please play them ALL!

Apr. 27 2011 11:58 AM
Diane from Brooklyn

I hope it's the Peter and the Wolf narrated by George Raft. Such a fun recording!

Apr. 27 2011 11:52 AM
Kenneth from Brooklyn

The piano concerto no. 3 is overplayed, why not do the second?

Apr. 27 2011 11:48 AM
dgar ocasio from The Bronx New York

I grew up listenning to Peter and the Wolf narrated by the fabulous Danny Kay

Apr. 27 2011 11:47 AM
Diane from The Real New Jersey Shore

His Romeo and Juliet is incomparable - rich, powerful, charming, ominous and playful. Perfect.

Apr. 27 2011 11:46 AM
Raya

Romeo & Juliet, the most amazing piece!!!!

Apr. 27 2011 11:45 AM
Shamla Mani from New Jersey

I don't think we hear Prokofiev often enough. I am looking forward to hearing his pieces today and especially Peter and the Wolf.
Thanks you for good music, always!

Apr. 27 2011 11:43 AM
Miles

Although I love Romeo and Juliet, I'm going with Peter and the Wolf today. The latter is simply played less often. I'm crossing my fingers that the narrator does a good job. After Cyril Ritchard's definitive narration, anyone else is a real gamble.

Apr. 27 2011 11:43 AM
Toby Simon

Prokofiev's 3rd Piano Concerto - most magnificently played by William Kapell!

Apr. 27 2011 11:42 AM
Renee Schreiber

Romeo and Juliet -heavenly and glorious!

Apr. 27 2011 11:40 AM
RP from W. Village

Prokofiev is a wonderful composer in so many areas, but please, today the piano concerto.

Apr. 27 2011 11:34 AM
Anita Blanco from El Paso, TX

I too grew up in Brooklyn. WQXR was basically the only station allowed at home Thanks to the internet and technology, I also listen to your station in the Desert Southwest of El Paso, Texas.

Apr. 27 2011 11:25 AM
tom Walsh from Montclair, NJ

The Piano Concerto # 3, please. We hardly ever hear it, and it's so beautiful.

Apr. 27 2011 11:17 AM
Joyce Hart from Queens, NY

I never tire of Romeo and Juliet...as someone previously mentioned, it's the perfect ballet score!

Apr. 27 2011 11:12 AM
Jean Goldsmith from The Dessert Southwest - El Paso, TX

It feels like a romantic morning here in El Paso, TX. I grew up in Brooklyn listening to WQXR. You can take the girl out of the city but I will listen to WQXR always.

Apr. 27 2011 11:10 AM
Lew Kampel

Peter and the wolf. Hardly ever hear it.

Apr. 27 2011 11:07 AM
rae from NYC

This is great concerto which isn't played enough.

Apr. 27 2011 11:06 AM
Bonnie from Bloomfield, NJ

Peter and the Wolf, please please please!

It was one of my favorites as a child. I listened to it all the time on my Victrola.

It would make me feel young again to hear it today.

Apr. 27 2011 10:39 AM
Michael from Rutherford NJ

It is so difficult as each piece brings me to a wonderfull place but I have to go with Romeo & Juliet. The perfect ballet piece. And yes I despise hearing only excerpts from a piece of music though the only alternative is to listen after midnight or enjoy the music another way. Though I am still a big fan

Apr. 27 2011 10:28 AM
Maureen from NJ

My vote is for Romeo and Juliet. My daughter, Catherine, is celebrating her birthday today and was a ballet dancer!

Apr. 27 2011 10:26 AM
Harriet from nyc

Peter and The Wolf -- I remember, as a child , how my imagination ran wild as I envisioned each animal by its instrument.

Apr. 27 2011 10:24 AM
Rochelle Friedman from New

It is so hard to chose, but I have a special place in my heart for "Peter and the Wolf", especially the recording with Cyril Ritchard narrating.

Apr. 27 2011 10:13 AM
Giustina from New York

Please NOT Peter & the Wolf. I hated to listen to that in my high school music classes.

Apr. 27 2011 09:49 AM
concetta nardone from Elmont, NY

Romeo and Juliet. What else is there to say? Also love his Classical Symphony.

Apr. 27 2011 09:35 AM
Dorothea Anastasio from New Rochelle, NY

Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet - the most perfect ballet score!

Apr. 27 2011 09:30 AM
L Tozzo from nyc

Piano Concerto #3. First heard it when watching the movie "The Competition" and have loved it since then. Let's give Peter and the Wolf a rest!

Apr. 27 2011 09:25 AM
Morris from NYC

I pick Romeo and Juliette ballet music although I agree with another comment about Nevsky. Best film music ever!

Apr. 27 2011 09:25 AM
Kal Rubinson from Manhattan

I will pick R&J although I am always disappointed to hear only excerpts rather than the full score. I'd sooner nominate Lt. Kije, Alexander Nevsky, Symphony #3 or The Flaming Angel.

Kal

Apr. 27 2011 09:24 AM
James from Eastchester, NY

+1 for Peter & the Wolf - I feel reminiscent today.

Apr. 27 2011 09:24 AM

Oh course, we all love Peter and the Wolf! (How many times did my brother and cousins and I act it out in our living room?). But, please, can't we hear something aired not quite so often? My vote is for the Piano Concerto. Just hearing those few opening bars has brightened my day -- and hoping for more!

Apr. 27 2011 09:09 AM
Jill Murman Payne from Long Beach, NY

My favorite Prokofiev score will always be the Lieutenant Kije Suite, thanks to Woody Allen's soundtrack for the film "Love and Death."

Apr. 27 2011 09:09 AM

I think I am outnumbered . Lots of votes for Peter and the Wolf. I love, love, love Piano Concerto #3. Its wild and joyful. You do not play it very often on WQXR. Please, please, please, play it anyway. Thanks.

Apr. 27 2011 09:05 AM
Nancy Trott from Brooklyn, NY

Romeo and Juliet for its depth & emotion and a personal favorite.

Apr. 27 2011 09:02 AM
Diane from NJ

Peter and the Wolf. Brings back memories of elementary school.

Apr. 27 2011 08:58 AM
Jdebary from Kearny

Difficult to choose ...all of three selections arel very different in styles, purposes and magnitudes...but...I will go for Peter and the Wolf
Thank you to all WQXR staff for being there 24/7..can not imagine my day with out you:)

Apr. 27 2011 08:56 AM

My preferred Prokofiev´s transcription is Cantate Alexander Nevsky. However as it is not on the list, I suggest my second preferred, Peter and the Wolf.

Apr. 27 2011 08:55 AM
dirk baron herbst from basel/switzerland

peter and the wolf with an happy end for all the "kids"...
best wishes to the team of wqxr from the alps and thanks for the wonderful music... d.

Apr. 27 2011 08:45 AM
Marli Lima from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Apr. 27 2011 08:42 AM
LES from Washington DC

All three are beautiful, of course. But Peter and the Wolf is the doorway into classical music for most children. Give the piece and its composer their due.

Apr. 27 2011 08:25 AM
Benita Ober from Cary, NC

Oh my, it has to be Peter and the Wolf. What wonderful, incredible memories that evokes. Brings us all back to our childhood. Thank you

Apr. 27 2011 08:22 AM
john Goodwin from Demarest, NJ

If you can only play one, make it Peter & The Wolf. It may remind us that here in the US wolves need our protection.

Apr. 27 2011 08:20 AM
Dani Burchman from New Rochelle, NY

Peter and the Wolf brings back wonderful memories for me. My children loved it.

Apr. 27 2011 08:16 AM
Tim Brown from Washington, DC

Difficult to choose amongst your three selections because they are all so different in styles, purposes and magnitudes but I'll vote for Romeo and Juliet because it is a personal favorite. Planning my own Prokofiev festival today.

Apr. 27 2011 08:02 AM
bob logan from nyc

Peter and the Wolf? a natural for noon

Apr. 27 2011 07:56 AM
Maya

My son is obsessed with Peter and the Wolf (he is only 3). We hear it many times a day and neither one of us gets tired of it!

Apr. 27 2011 07:43 AM
Sid from Brooklyn

Play them all - they're nothing short of masterworks written by a musical genius.

Apr. 27 2011 07:33 AM
rogerdodger from boothbay harbor maine

I have framed a small picture of Prokofiev. Any one who can produce a piece of music like the third, that takes you on such a roller coaster ride , gets a frame.

Apr. 27 2011 07:00 AM
robert maslansky MD from Jerusalem, Israel

Romeo and Juliet, a long ago love used to practice her stretches and positions to its remarkable score.

Apr. 27 2011 05:41 AM
Sidney Goldman from Baldwin, New York 11510

I love Prokofiev's works which are for a young audience. An example would be his Peter and the Wolf.

For his adult work, I would choose his Violin Concerto no. 2 in G minor. I have both selections, with Jascha Heifetz in the latter composition.

Thank you WQXR for your way to honor our classical composers.

Apr. 27 2011 04:00 AM
Michael Meltzer

Alexander Nevsky. Cantata or complete score, take your pick.

Apr. 27 2011 12:16 AM