Carnegie Hall Debuts

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

As Carnegie Hall celebrates its 120th anniversary this week we're reminded of the many artists who have made major — and youthful — debuts on its stages. You told us you wanted to hear Evgeny Kissin's debut and we played a selection from it at 12 noon.

Carolyn from UWS

Bernie from UWS, I tend to slightly agree with you. Performing is an individual creation.....some relate, some don't. Some don't care if they relate. Some are more concerned about not making mistakes. Some want to prove how virtuistic and fast they can be. Some want to play or sing as written with no interpretation....just the composer's notes. Then there are those who stand up and say, "here I am, admire me, I am a performer." These are just some of the idiosyncracies that make them who they are. Which one is correct? We, the listener, have a menu to pick from - whichever one reaches that funnybone inside of us is the "perfect" one.

May. 04 2011 11:52 AM
helen kesner from 17 spring hill dr. west orange, nj07052

thanks for a choice

May. 04 2011 11:49 AM
Peg from Larchmont

My vote would have been easier if you had named the pieces they would be playing.

May. 04 2011 11:43 AM
LES from Washington DC

Lang Lang, please. So he's flashy. He's a wonderful emissary for classical music, and he can play too.

May. 04 2011 11:10 AM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

I'm not voting until you tell us what piece each artist is playing; otherwise, how do we know what we will be hearing? After all, soloists come and go, but the music lasts forever!

May. 04 2011 11:09 AM
Eileen from New York

This is a difficult choice for me for the first two as I am not (sorry) a lover of the violin - my ear prefers the lower tones - but I would like to hear Lang Lang - as I think he is a much more versitile pianist.

May. 04 2011 11:07 AM
Tom

I hear too much of Midori and really don't like Lang Lang...so it's Evgeny -- and not really by default --- he is a superb musician.

May. 04 2011 11:06 AM
Roi S'Amuse from West Orange, NJ

I wish we could get a recording from Heifetz's Oct. 17, 1917 "not-a-hot-night-for-pianists" Carnegie Hall debut.

Saint Saens First Sonata was on the program.

May. 04 2011 11:04 AM
RP from NYC

Please, dear Universe, NOT Lang Lang.

May. 04 2011 10:56 AM

What about Benny Goodman, the Beatles, and PDQ Bach?

May. 04 2011 08:38 AM
Bernie from UWS

Michael, I don't see how it's "gossip" to bring into account facts about these artists' respective careers.

Yes, there's no accounting for taste, and if someone finds that Midori's playing speaks to them, so be it. But to me, her cold playing is a direct result of the way she was pushed into a career by a controlling mother, well before she had a chance to grow first as a human being. You just don't hear a natural expressiveness in her playing like you do many other artists today.

May. 04 2011 07:59 AM
Michael Meltzer

Gossip-column trivia that seem so appropriate in the opera world really have no place in classical music performance.
Kissin and Midori demonstrate in their playing a profound connection to the traditions that, thankfully, they exemplify. Lang Lang is well on the way.
I would cite Midori's enormous contribution to music education for the underprivileged through her foundation and her pro bono performances in the pubic schools, that do not quite jibe with UWS Bernie's "cold" characterization.

May. 04 2011 07:47 AM
Bernie from UWS

All are idiosyncratic artists whose early successes came at a great cost. Lang Lang is a brash showman and international brand whose performances are all flash. Kissin is an introvert whose odd stage manner gets in the way of any sort of real communication with his fans. Midori is so tightly wound and controlling about her career that anything she plays leaves me cold.

All are very talented in their own ways but show the ill side effects of being pushed into careers too early in life. To me, that's the real story here, not a manufactured anniversary.

May. 04 2011 07:24 AM
Michael Meltzer

The proficiency and playing quality of young violinists is at an all-time high, and I think the impact made by Midori some 25 or so years ago has a lot to do with it.
We could hear a lot more of her on WQXR than we do, I vote accordingly.

May. 04 2011 12:32 AM