Episode #2

April 22, 1723: The Town Council of Leipzig Appoints Bach as Cantor

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

An exploration of the Baroque and the never-ending legacy of Bach, through Mendelssohn, Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Steve Reich, and The Doors’ Light My Fire.

James,

You can stream the audio for this episode from the PRX website: http://www.prx.org/pieces/62946-april-22-1723-the-town-council-of-leipzig-appoi

Jun. 21 2011 04:46 PM
James from New York

Where can I listen to it? MP3 or stream available?

Jun. 19 2011 11:24 AM
RLF from 10024

I don't think I've ever heard a better program at "bedtime". Thank you for the Bach and Brazil and the Doors in a wave of beautiful music.

Jun. 15 2011 02:31 PM
Anke Nolting from NYC

An excellent program!

Bach has influenced composers and music lovers through the centuries and, I am sure, will continue to do so.

Jun. 14 2011 11:03 PM
Todd A. Peperkorn from Kenosha, Wisconsin

The breadth of Bach's music, as well as its vitality, speaks volumes. The Bach renaissance in Japan is but one recent example of the master. For my money, no one else even comes close.

Jun. 14 2011 10:11 PM
Michael Meltzer

David:
Although Beethoven was Handel's greatest admirer ("He created the greatest effect with the smallest of means"-L.v.:B.),
according to Beethoven's student Carl Czerny, Beethoven had all 48 preludes and fugues of the Well-Tempered Clavier committed to memory. It was upon Beethoven's teaching of the Bach that Czerny based his own printed edition of the WTC.

Jun. 07 2011 04:31 PM
David from Flushing

Where is the legacy of J. S. Bach between his time and that of Mendelssohn? One can trace the influence of Handel to Mozart and Haydn, and beyond, but Bach seems to be an evolutionary dead end. The fact that he had to be rediscovered at some point says much.

The older I get, my tolerance of Bach's music continues to decline. I find his work neat and precise, but as tedious as logarithm tables. The music of Handel, on the other hand, smiles at us, and I adore it.

Jun. 07 2011 09:04 AM