It Takes Two: Mozart's Double Concertos

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Two heads are better than one -- Mozart sure thought so. Perhaps more than any other composer, Mozart knew how to get the most out of two solo instruments playing together. You told us you most liked his Sinfonia Concertante of his three double concertos and we played it today at 12 noon.

Concerto in C Major for Flute and Harp, K. 299

Sinfonia Concertante in E-flat Major for Violin and Viola, K. 364

Concerto in E-flat MajorĀ for Two Pianos, K. 365

Sally Evans from Ossining

As a flutist, I should vote for the flute/harp concerto which is undeniably lovely. My quibble is with the opening statement by WQXR. I would put both Vivladi and Bach before Mozart as champions in writing for two instruments.

Aug. 10 2011 12:16 PM
Primbun from NY

*Today* my vote is for the C major. Could be different tomorrow but for today...Just lovely.

Aug. 10 2011 12:05 PM
Judith from boston, ma

I know that the Sinfonia Concertante is played very often, and that I should probably vote for something else, but I can't help it - I love it, and am voting for it now.

Aug. 10 2011 12:01 PM
Karla from Maywood, NJ

Expecting to vote for either the piano or violin concertos, I was surprised when I found myself moved to tears by the Concerto in C Major for flute and harp. It transcends with brightness and hope, and in this age of anger and despair, I think a little hope goes a long way. I am voting for the piece that -- so far in the contest anyway -- seems to be the underdog contender.

Aug. 10 2011 11:42 AM
Tim Brown from Washington, DC

My immediate reaction was to vote for the keyboard concerto but then I listened to the violin-viola piece - too beautiful! That got my vote today. Am loving your Wednesday Showdowns, WQXR!

Aug. 10 2011 11:11 AM
Mim from metro Atlanta, GA

I love them all, but if I HAD to vote for my favorite it would be K. 364 because listening to it often during a troubling time in my life years ago made me feel better.

Aug. 10 2011 11:10 AM
Steve from Bronx

The Flute and Harp Concerto is not really top-drawer Mozart. The Sinfonia Concertante is one of Mozart's finest works, making it one of the greatest, most sublime pieces ever written. The Concerto for Two Pianos is a wonderful piece, less often heard than the other two. So, I'm voting for the K.365.

Aug. 10 2011 11:03 AM

All Mozart music is so sublime...so wonderful pieces....very difficult to choose.
I saw the Mostry Mozart opening night on TV .They play the Sinfonia Concertante.. I love it...this is my vote for today

Aug. 10 2011 10:57 AM
Al from Manhattan

Echo--ALL THREE!

Arm twisted:

Concerto in C for Flute and Harp.

Sublime, almost impenetrable brilliance, beauty.

Mozart, a higher level of human evolution.

Aug. 10 2011 10:39 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

I have long loved the Concerto for 2 pianos, K365 -- always one of my favorite Mozart pieces. But recently heard the K299 for flute & harp, and it too is glorious.

I am certain I know the Sinfonia Concertante as well, and I am certain it too is lovely.

I guess my email doesn't help much!

Aug. 10 2011 10:23 AM
Flute Lady from Manhattan

Hey, look at my name; which one do you THINK I chose?! (If I see a similar message from anyone calling themselves Harp Lady or Harp Guy, that will make my day!)

Aug. 10 2011 10:23 AM
Karen Langro

It's true that one can't get eneough Mozart, again you make us choose just one of the three. His music just makes me feel so good, in mind and spirit. Its great that his music will live on forever!

Aug. 10 2011 09:40 AM
John Di Stefano

Keith Jarrett and Chick Corea are my 2 favorite jazz pianists (big influences on my playing) They're very versitle and amazing nes pas ??

Aug. 10 2011 09:26 AM
Tom from Montclair, NJ

All three! All three! All three! They are all wonderful pieces, and I cannot decide which. (I DID vote, but very reluctantly, for the two piano concerto).

Aug. 10 2011 09:19 AM