Bernard Herrmann Centenary Celebration, Part II: Hitchcock and Herrmann

Saturday, June 11, 2011

June 29th marks the 100th anniversary of the birth, here in New York City, of composer Bernard Herrmann. Each Saturday during June, David Garland presents aspects of Herrmann's work on Movies on the Radio. Herrmann wrote his first film score for "Citizen Kane" in 1941, and went on to collaborate with directors Alfred Hitchcock, Francois Truffaut, Martin Scorsese, and others.

Beginning in 1955 with "The Trouble With Harry," and continuing with "North By Northwest," "Vertigo," "Marnie," "The Wrong Man," "Psycho," and others, director Alfred Hitchcock and composer Bernard Herrmann formed an incredible collaboration, resulting in some of the most memorable thrillers ever made. Host David Garland presents music from all of the Hitchcock/Herrmann film collaborations; even an excerpt from "The Birds," and the score that led to the end of the partnership, "Torn Curtain."

Bernard Herrmann: 100th Birthday Celebration in The Greene Space
June 29, 2011 - Buy Tickets

Join WQXR's David Garland and Elliott Forrest to celebrate Bernard Herrmann, with music, film clips, and conversation. Special guests include Hollywood Bowl Orchestra conductor John Mauceri, Bernard Herrmann's daughter and writer Dorothy Herrmann, musician Rob Schwimmer, writer/musician Royal S. Brown, and Josh Waletzky, director of the Academy Award-nominated documentary Music for the Movies: Bernard Herrmann, with a special appearance by Academy Award-winning film composer Michael Giacchino (Super 8, UP, The Incredibles).

Playlist

North by Northwest - Overture, The Wild Ride - Rhino

The Trouble With Harry - Overture, Valse Lent - Varese Sarabande

The Man Who Knew Too Much - Prelude - Silva America

The Wrong Man - The Store, The Cell I - Film Score Monthly

Vertigo - Prelude/Rooftop, The Necklace/The Return/Finale - Varese Sarabande

Psycho - Psycho (A Narrative for Orchestra) (excerpt) - Hip-O

The Birds - Main Title

Marnie - Prelude from Marnie - Hip-O

Torn Curtain - Prelude - Hip-O

Vinny Alcala

Where you aware that Ron Forman announcer on WKRB's Sweet Sounds program on Sunday afternoon, one upmanshipped you by broadcasting Bernard Hermann on 6/26/11? This person is always trying to outdo other radio personalities. Why not jam his weak station frequency and knock him off the air?

Jul. 06 2011 09:44 PM
June Conticchio from Bayville, NY

I 1sr heard of Bernard Herrman when I took film coursess at Queens College. My Prof. was Royal S. Brown (mentioned above) & I don't think anyone else could have given his students everything he had in him relating to Hitchcock & BERNARD HERRMANN! What a fantastic experience I had in his classes..I will never forget Royal S. Brown & how he connected each piece of music to a particular scene. I wish he was still teaching (I would imagine he is now retired, is alive & doing well)!I have to say here that I think "Vertigo" was his own favorite (as it is mine) These classes were worth more than a small tuition fee..Anyone lucky enough to have been treated to these wonderful films & music, will never forget the experience!!!

Jun. 30 2011 03:37 PM
Jason Hubbard Derr from Vancouver, BC

So much fantastic music. The first album I ever fell in love with was Danny Elfmans score to the 1988 Batman. It was epic. I have been hooked on film music ever since.
I now know that I need to dig up some Bernard Hermann on CD.

Jun. 25 2011 11:52 AM
WQXR

Michelle,

The playlist is up now. Thanks for listening!

Jun. 15 2011 03:29 PM
Michelle from Ozone Park, Queens, NY

I, for one, am a QXR listener who tunes in every week for this program! My husband enjoys it as well; sometimes he feels David talks too much! However, all in all, we listen and enjoy this. To us, it is far from boring! Please keep it coming. One more thing, was a playlist available for tonight's and last weeks airing?

Jun. 11 2011 10:38 PM

FYI: without music there is effectively no cinema. Much previously written music was used in film. Watch Bugs Bunny and one is exposed to all types of music, both contemporary and classical. That is the entire point of this segment of programming.

Jun. 11 2011 09:43 PM
Bob Axel from Long Island

I for one find movie music very interesting. This is my favorite show on QXR. Classical music has long be part of theatrical arts, opera, ballet, why should film be any different?

Jun. 11 2011 09:35 PM
Bruce from Morristown, NJ

I first heard of Bernard Herrmann when I was introduced to an album called "The Fantasy Film World of Bernard Herrmann" which I instantly fell in love with. Probably because it had scores from some of my favorite movies: The Day the Earth Stood Still, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Mysterious Island among others. I had no idea he had his hands into so many movies. Truly an impressive artist. Hopefully these sci-fi films will also be part of the series on wqxr.

Jun. 11 2011 09:15 PM
Fred from Queens

This is the point where I ALWAYS turn off the radio. Do most QXR listeners really find movie music interesting?

In the entire history of movies there are only a handful works that can stand alone.

BORING!