Collaboration! And Meet Helga Davis!

Monday, March 01, 2010

So! I'm playing too much viola this week to host Nadia Sirota on Q2 (literally! Perennially a punch line, the word "viola" always threatens to suck seriousness out of sentences), but you are being left in the very capable hands of Ms. Helga Davis.

Helga and I used to share hosting duties on WNYC's Overnight Music and I'm thrilled to get to collaborate with her again! Helga currently hosts Overnight Music on WQXR as well as being an extraordinary vocalist and performance artist with a really unique perspective on music and the arts; I'm looking forward to hearing her take on Golijov, Nils Frahm, Jacob TV, and Samuel Barber, among other wonderful composers.

I'll be back at the board next week to explore processed speech in music, along with more post-tonal goodies on Hope Springs Atonal at 1. Have fun with Helga while I'm away!

And in the spirit of collaboration, here's LineC3 to school us all.

Hosted by:

Nadia Sirota

Frank

Miss Davis,

How could you give such an enraptured reading of Albert Samain's poem
"Soir" without giving him credit. Faure, after all, did not write
the poem, just the music.

Mar. 20 2010 12:17 AM

Terrific job this week, Helga -- enjoyed your many thoughtful musical selections and all those readings, enlightening right through the TS Elliot. Thanks for all your work on it.
-p.

Mar. 05 2010 03:30 PM

Well said, Jose, I second that!

Mar. 04 2010 12:32 PM
Jose Naranja from Port Moresby, PNG

Emily - person-AL-ly, I think HEL-ga is doing an EX-cellent job.

Mar. 04 2010 11:55 AM
Emily

For your info, Ms. Davis-
Edward Lah-LO
Jeorges Bi-ZAY
Please study just a bit harder, or ask for help.

Mar. 03 2010 07:00 PM

Helga, were you on an hour earlier yesterday (Tuesday)? Normally Nadia is noon to 4p, yes? What's your on-air shift today, don't want to miss anything. Thanks for the Verklärte Nacht yesterday, transfigured my whole day, let alone the night. Do you know the Bob Spano/Atlanta Symphony recording of Chris Theofanidis' The Here and Now with Hila Plitmann doing the soprano work? Might make a good entry in the show this week, superb chorals and solos. Keep it up, we're loving you, careful on the subway, don't spill the coffee.
-p.

Mar. 03 2010 05:56 AM
Chris Becker from New York City

Love you, Helga :) CB

Mar. 02 2010 12:50 PM
Lazlo Fade from Tasmania, Australia

Helga, I think they like you. And rightfully so.
Gavin Bryars is a favorite, and Nancarrow's story - his self-imposed exile to Mexico - should be told to those of your listeners who may not know it.
Incidentally, I may be Q2's southernmost fan as I live on an apple orchard in Geeveston, Tasmania.

Mar. 01 2010 02:13 PM

Enjoying the show, Helga, and especially the beautiful text you read so well to us at the top -- I believe it was the poetry of Ann Jaderlund from Salonen's piece. It's great to get to hear lyrics/text/libretti this way because at times it's hard to find them online. I'm hoping that one day a part of Q2's service, in fact, will be to give us written lyrics to vocal and choral music, automatically, as part of the playlist. It's such an important dimension to so much music. Thanks for the interesting show today -- rightly in the "mish-mash," as you describe it. This will be a good week! -p.

Mar. 01 2010 01:12 PM

Welcome to OUR program, Helga! Don't tell Nadia it's not hers -- it really belongs to us, her daily backseat listeners constantly telling her what to play. We drive her artfully crazy, or at least back to the viola. :-) Enjoy, we're with you!
-p.

Mar. 01 2010 07:28 AM

Egad!! A week with out Nadia Sirota. But, hey Helga gets a shot. Maybe she will deign to then give us a second programmed focused four hour gig each day.

What about it Helga? Just do a four hour section of Overnite that can fit Q2 and the put it on Q2, so, no extra work. James David Jacobs used to do this at WNYC - or, you know, the producers did it for him.

It would be our gain.

But, I will miss Nadia.

Feb. 28 2010 12:15 PM
Shadeed R. Ahmad from New York City

That midnight serenading voice laced with moon beams that sooth the ravaged soul that is mine and the collective of New York City all too many times belongs to Helga Davis. Her musical selections bring back proper tuning of all elements of the Inner Self. Ms. Davis is a precious gem in the celestial benefits of music as a healing tool. She is a radiant soul who WQXR is all the better for having in its constellation of musical luminaries. Ms. Davis you honor all the glories of music and those that have helped shape you. GOD Bless you. Sincerely, Shadeed R. Ahmad (2-28-10)

Feb. 28 2010 03:58 AM