Made to Dance

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Some music is written not only to be heard, but seen too. You told us Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake was the best music for the stage and we played it at 12 noon.

Copland - Rodeo

Delibes - Sylvia

Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet

Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake

concetta nardone from Elmont, NY

I chose Swan Lake because I never forgot the Ballet Trocadero and Madame Boomboomskaya. Also, Bela Lugosi as Count Dracula and Swan Lake was the music used.

Jun. 22 2011 12:23 PM

I voted for Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. All of the other scores mentioned are superb and they all do great justice to ballet. But my vote is for personal reasons: whenever I think of ballet, I remember seeing Dame Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev dancing that Prokofiev ballet from Covent Garden. That was viewing worth interupting everything else in order to see!

Jun. 22 2011 12:09 PM
Andrea Becker from Manhattan

As a combination of pure beauty ~of melody and movement, ~ not to mention intense emotion and fantasy~ nothing will ever top Swan Lake. There is magic and musical bliss throughout this paragon of ballet~ from the timeless opening waltz to Odette's entrance by the lake, from Odile's bewitching fouettes to the deaths of the lovers, Tchaikovsky's genius carries the day. Mention the word "ballet," and one
name springs to mind: Swan Lake!

Jun. 22 2011 12:05 PM
Dorothea from New Rochelle, NY

Swan Lake is good, but Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet is, without question, the best ballet score ever written.

Jun. 22 2011 12:03 PM
Flute Lady from Manhattan

I chose Prokofiev for its fire and excitement...how about playing that as a birthday present to me?! Also, I'm curious whether any other listeners remember the hilarious Tchaikovsky spoof years ago on "The Muppet Show," where Rudolf Nureyev danced with Miss Piggy to a ballet score called "Swine Lake - the story of a beautiful princess who was turned into a pig by the wicked magician Trichinosis." That was over thirty years ago, and it still makes me laugh whenever I think of it!

Jun. 22 2011 12:01 PM
HYH from in Purchase, NY

I had to pick the Prokofiev. They're all great ballet scores but the Prokofiev is a living and breathing Romeo and Juliet story. You don't even need to see the ballet to know/feel where you are in the story. The grandeur, the romance, the hatred and sadness Just beautiful music. A similar feeling from Bernstein's West Side Story score......hmmmm, do I detect a pattern. :-)

Jun. 22 2011 11:43 AM

Sylvia is one of the greatest ballet scores ever. Unfortunately it has rarely found a worthy choreographer.

Jun. 22 2011 11:38 AM
tom from nyc

I vote Swan Lake, the icon of ballet!

Jun. 22 2011 11:28 AM
Jean from El Paso, Texas from Desert Southwest - El Paso, TX

I too love them all but Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet is at the top of my list.

Jun. 22 2011 11:27 AM
richard from Englewood, NJ

The greatest ballet is actually Giselle. But the most remarkable "score" of the ones presented is clearly Romeo and Juliet.

Jun. 22 2011 11:27 AM
Jane Theiling

Swan Lake.

A lovely ballet

Jun. 22 2011 11:24 AM
peter winn from Manhattan

I vote for the Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet,
which I think is the best ballet score bar none.

Peter

Jun. 22 2011 11:10 AM
Andie in NYC

I love them all but I'm with Richard on this one... nothing stirs the soul like seeing movement on stage while Swan Lake music plays in your ears.

Jun. 22 2011 11:02 AM
Bo from Harrison NY

I vote for Delibe "Sylvia"

Jun. 22 2011 10:57 AM
Faina from New York

Swant Lake to ballet is what Bach is to classical music. Swan Lake !

Jun. 22 2011 10:57 AM
Susan Madigan

Prokofief Romeo & Juliet

Jun. 22 2011 10:55 AM
Nina

I think the Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet is a very beautiful score. However, the score to Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake is so incredible, I had to choose it. It's one of my all time favorite works.

Jun. 22 2011 10:49 AM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

The Tchaikovsky score is the best!

Jun. 22 2011 10:35 AM
Richard from Astoria,New York

All I can say is that when I hear Swan Lake I tend to get the urge to jump up out of my seat and dance. I hope it wins!

Jun. 22 2011 10:27 AM
Michael Duchak from Rutherford NJ

How difficult to have to choose just one. All are wonderfull but I am going with Swan Lake based on my memory of the greatest ballet ever in my humble opinion.

Jun. 22 2011 10:23 AM
Milton Quiroga Bulman from Concepción, Chile

I prefer Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet, wonderful ballet.

Jun. 22 2011 10:15 AM
Jack from Setauket

Love them all, but I cannot not pick Swan Lake, though very difficult to pass over Romeo & Juliet

Jun. 22 2011 09:36 AM
Karin Fredrickson from New York, NY

Enjoy all, but for me it's Prokofiev's Romeo and Juilet!.

Jun. 22 2011 09:13 AM
Steve from White Plains

Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet! Copeland is so overdone and if there's anything more overdone, it's Swan Lake!

Jun. 22 2011 06:35 AM