Tchaikovsky's Fourth Symphony

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

We're celebrating America's historical past by playing a performance by one of her great orchestras in her Revolution-era cities. You tell us which performance of Tchaikovsky's appropriate Fourth Symphony you'd like to hear -- that of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the Philadelphia Orchestra, or the New York Philharmonic -- by voting in our poll and we'll play it at 12 noon.

Boston Symphony Orchestra

The Philadelphia Orchestra

New York Philharmonic

Jim Macinick from Shirley, NY

My favorite recording is the Philadelphia Orchestra with ugene Ormandy conducting.

Jun. 29 2011 02:11 PM
Miles

It's a difficult choice, musically speaking, without knowing the conductor. But I selected the Boston Symphony, because Massachusetts is where the Revolutionary War, our fight for independence, began. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said in his wonderful poem, Concord Hymn: "Here once the embattled farmers stood, and fired the shot heard 'round the world."

Jun. 29 2011 11:53 AM
Thomas from Brooklyn, NY

I voted for NY Phil, my home town orchestra. Have to admit I was surprized and disappointed the conductor wasn't listed. Folks at WQXR please take note for future noon showdown performances.

Jun. 29 2011 11:51 AM
Norman from Rockville Centre

The choice of conductor is more important than the orchestra.I will take a chance and go with the NY Phil assuming and hoping that it is Bernstein, who had a special affinity with Tchaikovsky, especially his symphonies 4 through 6.

Jun. 29 2011 11:49 AM
Nina

To Carol: Thank you, you're right. I just realized that the NY Phil excerpt is from Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony, third mvt. My excuse: I sampled it first, and was assuming at that point that all were from the 4th symph, so I mixed it up with the pizzicato (3rd) mvt from the 4th Symphony. Thanks for the correction!

Jun. 29 2011 11:20 AM
Richard from Englewood, NJ

Doesn't anyone care who is conducting? There is no indication that we're going to get Lenny, Ormandy or Ozawa rather than some guest conductor.

I would love to hear the classic 4th of Koussevitzky, but, if I am to remain in the dark as to the conductor, le'ts here the glorious sound of Philly!

Jun. 29 2011 11:16 AM
concetta nardone from Elmont, NY

Yes, I too would watch those specials on a Sunday afternoon in which Bernstein explained all kinds of classical music. He was very good as these programs were not boring.

Jun. 29 2011 11:11 AM
Joe deBy from Peterborough, Ontario

Much as I like all three orchestras, I just feel there's more fire brought to Tchaikovsky by the Boston.

Jun. 29 2011 11:10 AM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

Actually, none of these performances is of the 4th Symphony. I voted for the N.Y. Philharmonic because my love for classical music began when I saw (on public television) Leonard Bernstein conduct the N.Y. Philharmonic in a performance of this very symphony. To this day, one of my favorite symphonies is the Tchaikovsky 4th!

Jun. 29 2011 11:01 AM
Flute Lady from Manhattan

I'd love to hear my hometown orchestra, the one I grew up listening to at the Robin Hood Dell, the one that inspired me to study music seriously....the one with the de Pasquales, Kincaid, de Lancie, Gigliotti, and of course Ormandy....those "Fabulous Philadelphians!"

Jun. 29 2011 10:55 AM
concetta nardone from Elmont, NY

That's OK Nina. Even I make mistakes and act like I know it all, even if I don't.
Best wishes

Jun. 29 2011 10:53 AM
Morty Rosner

.......Lenny's you tube performance with the BSO has all the drive and forward thrust which he always brought to Tchaikovsky.
He knew how to wake up this old chestnut.

Jun. 29 2011 10:52 AM
Nina

Oops. I meant to write "to Paxdora" (rather than to Concetta).

Jun. 29 2011 10:11 AM
Nina

To Concetta: Actually, only the NY Phil excerpt is from Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony. The other two are from the 1812 overture (as you said), and the 5th symphony.

Jun. 29 2011 10:05 AM
concetta nardone from Elmont, NY

Gee, someone else refers to Bernstein as Dear Lenny. But I mean it in a snarky way.
The only thing he conducts well is the Lenore #3 from Fidelio. But then, even I could conduct it, and so can my cat Siegfried.

Jun. 29 2011 09:39 AM

Somebody goofed, it seems. The second selection is the 1812 Overture. Tsk, tsk...

I do prefer the Boston Symphony with dear Lenny conducting...

Jun. 29 2011 09:09 AM
elinor

no contest! BSO!!!

Jun. 29 2011 08:26 AM
Charles Johnson from San Juan. Puerto Rico

Boston Sympbony, conducted by Seijo Ozawa

Jun. 29 2011 07:06 AM
Raquel from Buenos Aires Argentina

Adoro esta emisora! Nos acopaña todo el día.
Esta version es la que más nos gusta

Gracias! Gracias!