School's Out for Summer

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

sisters, beach, children (adwriter/flickr)

School is out and kids are off to their summer adventures and daydreams (or summer school if they're not so lucky). To celebrate this transition, we want to know which piece best evokes childhood. You told us it was Schumann's Kinderszenen and we played it at 12 noon.

Schumann's Kinderszenen

Debussy's Children's Corner Suite - Golliwog's Cakewalk

Elgar's Nursery Suite

Bizet's Jeux d'Enfants

Tom

Schumann's by a mile -- best in evoking childhood and summer.

Jul. 06 2011 11:44 AM
Mildred Rust from East Brunswick, NJ

They are all lovely, but I chose Bizet because I know least about it. I listen all the time I'm near a radio!

Jul. 06 2011 11:16 AM
sally dorst from Manhattan

I'm for the Debussy.

Jul. 06 2011 11:11 AM
Nina

I voted for the Bizet. On the sample, I highly suggest people listen to all of the movements! I think it's really worth it. Please don't make up your mind on just certain movements. The better ones (in my opinion) are so lovely!! :)

Jul. 06 2011 11:09 AM
Benita from Cary, NC

What beautiful memories. My favorite was always Peter and the Wolf. Even now when you play it, tears come to my eyes and I'm taken to that wonderful place called childhood. How lucky I was (though didn't know it then) to have been brought up with WQXR. Thank you for continuing to give me solace.

Jul. 06 2011 10:17 AM
Kevin Walters from Harrison NY

I think Elgar's "Nursery Suite" is the perfect choice because the composer based the suite on sketches he made when he was a child. It is dreamy and delightful...

Jul. 06 2011 10:03 AM
Lynne from NYC

I would have voted but there was no "Teddy Bear's Picnic"! :-(

Jul. 06 2011 09:51 AM
Tim Brown from Washington, DC

This a wonderful collection of choices, have a great time listening to all of them. Am always loving your Showdown program.

Jul. 06 2011 08:37 AM
Counce Hancock from CT

At the end of WW II, my 3 cousins, who were living with us during their mother's terminal illness and their father's deployment in the European theatre, left to go to Germany to join their father. I was 5 years old and one of my favorite recordings was Kinderszenen -particularly the first piece- Of Strange Lands and People. Hearing it today, I felt just as I did when they left. My cousins were going to a magical place - Europe, and I was stuck in East Texas!

Jul. 06 2011 08:26 AM
Michael Meltzer

Not everything we hear broadcast need be virtuosic, and Tchaikovsky wrote an "Album for the Young," op. 39 for piano solo that makes for extremely pleasant and evocative listening. There are 24 short easy pieces, and the whole thing in the hands of a sympathetic pianist can be a surprisingly moving experience.

Jul. 06 2011 03:56 AM