Harry Potter's Magical Music

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Author J. K. Rowling introduced young wizard Harry Potter and his vivid world of magic to readers in 1997. The books thrilled millions, and Harry Potter's adventures were adapted to film beginning in 2001. To mark Friday's opening of the final film, host David Garland presents music from all eight Harry Potter movies.

Amusing, spine-tingling, and heart-felt, the soundtrack music by composers John Williams, William Ross, Patrick Doyle, Nicholas Hooper and Alexandre Desplat conveys the magic of Harry Potter. Plus, David speaks with Desplat about his music for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, parts 1 & 2," the power of John Williams’ original score, and the thrill of conducting the London Symphony Orchestra.

Harry Potter: A Look Back:

David Garland

Thanks for your comments on the show!

@ Jennifer, your question about what's playing "now" was posted at 10:02, which was after my show ended, but I'm happy to answer your question! At 10:02 you would have been listening to "All Ears with Terrance McKnight," and at that time Terrance was playing a piece by my old friend, composer Guy Klucevsek. It was the title track from Guy's album "Stolen Moments," on the Tzadik label.

Jul. 18 2011 10:30 AM
Eleanore from New Jersey

Thanks for much for treating us to some of the music from the Potter films; it isn't mediocre, in spite of what Zayne thinks. To answer your question: The books are far better than the movies, although I certainly have enjoyed watching them, and the last one is really amazing--for its emotion as well as its action. My favorite composer for the soundtracks is Patrick Doyle (except, of course, for Hedwig's Theme), and my particular favorite of his is the Hogwarts Hymn, so thank you for playing it. I have always wondered if he wrote (or thought of) words for the music.

Jul. 16 2011 10:21 PM
Linda from nj

As a fan of your program and Harry Potter, I very much enjoyed tonight's theme.
Thanks so much!

Jul. 16 2011 10:07 PM

And of course, it's always a thrill to hear composers of film scores tell how and why they do what they do. The interview with Alexandre Desplat was a lovely plus.

Jul. 16 2011 10:03 PM
Jennifer

What music is playing now?

Jul. 16 2011 10:02 PM

It's pretty amazing, how the HP music "grew up" along with the franchise, from the whimsy and magic of the first film to the depth and darkness of the last.

Thanks so much for the fascinating retrospective!

Jul. 16 2011 09:55 PM
EileenCG from Katonah, NY

Ah, Zayne... wherever you went...Lighten up! It's music.

Thank you, Mr. Garland!

Jul. 16 2011 09:55 PM
Lucia

I'm a big fan of the HP books & the movies just watched the last movie I think it was great did justice to the book. Truly enjoying this program.

Jul. 16 2011 09:50 PM

Haven't seen the last film yet, but I've always thought John Williams's score for the third, HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban, was the best of the lot -- a quirky mix of medieval and symphonic.

Jul. 16 2011 05:12 PM
Zayne

Bernard Hermann is not pop culture and film score music being played in concerts goes back to the 1950s and earlier. And film music on radio has been around just as long. WQXR, WHLI, WPAT, WHTG and
WBAI once had anywhere from 1/2 to an hours plus of film score old and new from films with great stories and insights into the human dilemma, not anything droll like "Harry Potty and the Flying Bedpan."

Jul. 16 2011 04:46 PM
L.Lubin from Ft.Lee, NJ

Yesterday's pop culture becomes tomorrow's classics. Bernard Hermann's scores are often played in concert now, so why not get a jump start on these scores?
It is often difficult to listen in detail to film scores while watching the film. I've seen all of the HP films on DVD, and only after a few hearings do details of the soundtrack start to emerge and impress me. Since more than one composer is involved, it is interesting to hear how different minds handle the same themes.

Jul. 16 2011 11:12 AM
Joie from New York, NY

even the oxford english dictionary has Pottermania

Jul. 16 2011 10:04 AM
Zayne

Surely you jest? Mediocrity and the mundane a cultural psychosis on WQXR?
Also a video plug on a non-commercial broadcast station. Hmm. I'll go elsewhere for mt music.

Jul. 15 2011 11:24 PM