The Q2 Listener Survey: Your Input Matters!

Help Make Q2 More Relevant For You

Thursday, July 14, 2011

At Q2 we’re devoted to championing the music of living composers and presenting it in the best possible way.

And now we need your help and honest opinion. We want you to let us know what you like about Q2 and what we could do better. Your insights, kudos, complaints and suggestions will help us serve your new-music needs moving forward.

Be a part of the first-ever Q2 listener survey – it’s a great way to share your opinion on the full range of Q2's offerings and be heard by programmers and hosts alike.

Please take around 10-15 minutes to follow the survey link below and help ensure that Q2 continues to evolve and better serve our new-music community. We can only do it with the help of listeners like you. Thank you.

Jane from Brooklyn

a moratorium on optimistic marimba music please.

Aug. 11 2011 01:58 AM

Composers I would like to hear (more or less alphabetically):

Hans Erich Apostel, Frangis Ali-Sade, Milton Babbitt, Richard Barret, Alban Berg, Elliott Carter, Julian Carrillo, Friedrich Cerha, Unsuk Chin, James Clarke, Gloria Coates, Franklin Cox, Ruth Crawford-Seeger, Michael Denhoff, Edison Denisov, James Dillon, Paul-Heinz Dittrich, Friedhelm Döhl, Franco Donatoni, Gerald Eckert, Michael Edward Edgerton, Hanns Eisler, Julio Estrada, Jehuda Ewert, Morton Feldman, Brian Ferneyhough, Michael Finnissy, Elena Firsova, Beat Furrer, Gerard Grisey, Georg Friedrich Haas, Cristobal Halffter, Jonathan Harvey, Hans-Werner Henze, Wieland Hoban, Heinz Holliger, Charlotte Hug, Erik Janson, Betsy Jolas, Georg Katzer, Sven-Ingo Koch, Ernst Krenek, György Kurtag, Bernhard Lang, Roman Ledenev, Ulrich Leyendecker, Rolf Liebermann, György Ligeti, Liza Lim, Elisabeth Lutyens, Dieter Mack, Claus-Steffen Mahnkopf, Isabel Mundry, Tristan Murail, Nikolai Obukov, Luis de Pablo, George Perle, Alberto Posadas, Horatiu Radulescu, Roger Reynolds, Rebecca Saunders, Giacinto Scelsi, Arnold Schönberg, Gunther Schuller, Wolfgang von Schweinitz, Benjamin Schweitzer, Charlotte Seither, Roger Sessions, Ralph Shapey, Bettina Skrzypczak, Reginald Smith-Brindle, Toru Takemitsu, Augusta Read Thomas, Frances-Marie Uitti, Fartein Valen, Ivan Vyschnegradsky, Anton Webern, Charles Wuorinen, Iannis Xenakis, Ruth Zechlin. And some more I might have forgotten.

Aug. 04 2011 11:02 AM

Tom from New York

The HD is hard to get even 15 miles from Manhattan.

Jul. 31 2011 02:49 PM
Tom from New York

I don't understand why don't even mention on your site or on the air that Q2 is a actual over-the-air radio station. Not only that, it's high-definition. Other HD radio stations seem to do that frequently. It seems like you are trying to kill the format. Anybody can put some "stream" on the Internet, a broadcast is something different.

Jul. 31 2011 02:13 AM
Ursula from Brooklyn

I just read Nobodhi's comment and want to second it--Terrance McKnight's program on (originally) WNYC was wonderful in intelligently and passionately juxtaposing types of music, and I miss that show.

I also appreciate Mr. Lang, and I also want lots more choral music...so glad I can podcast The Choral Mix, since it's broadcast at ridiculous hours.

AND, these lists of composers and categories and likes and dislikes only reveals just how deep is the ocean of "contemporary" not-pop, not-world, music. So why should we ever have to hear the same piece twice in a day? Or a week?

Jul. 29 2011 04:11 PM
Ursula from Brooklyn

I see from the above comments that, as I felt, the [overly long] survey never really gave me the chance to tell you what I REALLY think!

I think Q2 is doing a great job, as far as it goes. What the public-radio family needs is greater improvement on the other two stations, and diversity in music. Midge, Elliott--rise up and protest! Aren't you going nuts playing the same stale selections over and over and over and over? I'm going nuts listening to it.

Q2, you're not off the hook: Give poor Gavin Bryars a rest, why don't you?

Jul. 29 2011 04:01 PM

gaspard de la nuit from Tucson

Please tell me which "Times", and if you can the article title. I did not see anything in the New York Times and I want to search for the article.

Jul. 29 2011 10:48 AM

There are too many wonderful commentators to single out individually, so thank you all collectively for taking the time to both go through our extensive survey and also leave your comments on this page. This is an exciting time for us given all the fabulous, forward-thinking ideas you've offered. To mix metaphors, you've stirred the pot and sown the seeds for the future of Q2. Thank you.

Jul. 29 2011 10:17 AM
Bob

The survey was a little exhausting, but I hope it will help.

I had marked that I was not interested very much in vocal music, then I read David Lang's comment about his 'For Love is Strong', and I realized that I also wanted more music like that. It's the originality of the music that is interesting, and whether it's engaging at a fundamental level, more than the form it has.

Also, I feel that Q2 would be a lot better if it had announcers (I know this would mean more expense... sorry!) to identify the music and sometimes to give it context. Since many of the composers are not well-known, it would be good to know who wrote the pieces that I liked. As it is, I am often going to the web page and clicking to see "who wrote that?"

I also feel that many, many, many of the composers on Q2 have listened to quite a lot of Steve Reich and Philip Glass (as I have -- and like), but should try to write something that they haven't already done (OK, that's easy for me to say -- Still, a lot of it is very good derivative music, as opposed to very good original music).

Speaking of Glass and Reich (and Adams), I would be happy to hear more of them... (and Del Tredici [never hear him any more] and Part and... etc.) I would just like it if the newer composers sounded, well, newer. Different. (Not just dissonant, which is not in itself bad... Stravinsky did dissonant pretty well, but that was a while ago.)

I enjoy Q2, but only in moderation -- perhaps because it gets a bit repetitive.

I often flee to it to escape the over-played, bombastic regular classical stuff (that often means the noisy, puffy opera on Saturday), and then flee back to WQXR to hear something that sounds good. Isn't there a happy medium somewhere???

Don't mean to grump on your parade; I like your music a lot, in moderation....

Please, do not stop. Having an alternative is important. Thanks for that.

Jul. 29 2011 12:54 AM
gaspard de la nuit from Tucson

I am new to Q2, thanks to the article in the Times on Sunday. It is a good addition to the necessary mix of live365 stations (no announcing, sadly), BBC, Newsounds, and live concert-going in L.A, etc.
I still think there needs to be a website that lets you hunt up live performances of particular pieces world-wide. Oh, yes, and I do believe in paying for music, just not the frozen kind. Although I still bring out a 33-1/3 now and then.

Jul. 28 2011 07:39 PM

I agree with Raymond from WPB, I always turn off if I hear stuff like Steve Reich's cacophony of random white keys.

Jul. 24 2011 01:01 PM
david lang from nyc

hi raymond -

I am really happy you want to hear more of my music!

fyi - I know it went by really fast but one of the choral excerpts on the survey was from my piece 'for love is strong.' (I am embarrassed to say that I voted for more of that!)

best,

david

Jul. 24 2011 11:45 AM
Ismael Oliveira from São Paulo _ Brazil

To care about listeners’ opinions is really a serious business; even today when this process is normally using with fishing proposes to increase profit instead quality.

Hence, I would like to congratulate Q2 an all of it supporters to make quality real in Radio field.

Nowadays our hopes and beliefs are deposited on cultural achievements as way to save the human race against our own overbooster and incredible development that put us near our self destruction.

As a result of this artificial world, a kind of crack in the mid of people today, (Schizophrenia) made record’s industry, including Radios, more and more “idioticizing machines”.

As the same time, thanks to these technological achievements I found Q2 from Brazil. Streamers devices make it possible. Is the time of paradoxes.

As a painter and having music environmental like oxygen I breath, by no doubts, it was a serendipity when I found Q2 .

It is, perhaps, the unique source in the entire world as a free way to listen live composers of erudite and contemporary music.

Even more, I´d like to congratulate the editors by the manners of how they build the program which fit me perfect during my works on studio.

Since, 80s, when I discovered Steve Reich on his “Music for 18 musicians”, definitely a tourney key in the recent history of music, one of the fathers of the contemporary music concepts …since then I´ve been reaching contemporary composers by CDs, Shows, Festivals but unfortunately it is very rare ….hence, thanks, once more, to Q2 on which I´ve been having an opportunity to appreciated sublime music, in daily basis, so it has hardly and well affected my own artistic production.

At Q2 I discovered, Peter Broderick; Marc-André Dalbavie; George Crumb; Ingram Marshall; Hans Otte; Russell Pinkston; Einojuhani Rautavaara; Jonny Greenwood; Mira Calix; Matmos; David Lang; Bora Yoon etc....etc…it is a long list…amazing things….

After modern age of “the God’s death “ , the museum, and music theaters, became the successors of churches….and according to this trial Q2 has an excellent and high quality level blended with spiritual choices on its programming …

Now listening ….Olivier Messiaen: Three Small Liturgies of the Divine Presence….

Just one suggestion: Archive Music is great to buy and find cds…but not all…is there any chance to indicate or add..at least….the Record data of the cd which you are playing every music, like credits on your Playlist page??

ISMAEL OLIVEIRA
from Brazil

Jul. 24 2011 11:32 AM
Raymond from WPB

I love you Q2, but my interest has waned. I want Bryars, Part, Sculthorpe, Elizabeth Brown, Whitacre, Lang. I hear alot of abrasive, cacophonous pieces now and I just turn it off.

Best of luck in the future.

Jul. 24 2011 09:37 AM
Charles Packer from Washington, D.C.

Thanks for the helpful progress bar on the survey -- I could abandon it without guilt when I saw that I was only 10% done and you were still asking my demographics. Let me just tell you what I think: I listen via the Web site and therefore I have to get to Q2 through WQXR. This is a nuisance. The Web site is generally clunky and needs a redesign. In general, take the music more seriously and worry less about branding.

Jul. 23 2011 05:56 PM
Gary Noland from Portland, Oregon

I'd like to hear more music by the following composers:

Gottfried Von Einem
Henry Martin
Erich Wolfgang Korngold
David Rakowski
David Del Tredici
Victor Steinhardt
Paul Schoenfield
Glenn Gould (his compositions)
Leopold Godowsky
Carter Pann
Lera Auerbach
Alfred Schnittke
George Antheil
Sylvestre Revueltas
Igor Stravinsky

Less crossover and minimalist stuff.

Thanks!

Jul. 23 2011 11:59 AM
David from NY, NY

I miss very much the "OLD" new music. That eclectic mix was just amazing, and it showed what great potential the station had. Now with all the surveys and so forth, what was once VISION is now market-driven programming. Shades of top 40 radio. It is sad to see a non-profit work turn from what might be called educating the listener to market driven pavlovian responses. You just might find that the vegetable you did not like as a kid are now favorites and you are trying to get your own children to enjoy them as well. I may add that I say all this as a WQXR & Q2 supporter, and miss the days of WNCN with Bill Watson and also Andre Bernard on WNYC. And why did WNYC-FM keep John Schaefer's NEW SOUNDS there instead of Q2, where he would be so appropriate? To keep the audience WNYC knew it would lose there and keep a larger broadcast radius for talk radio where the fidelity of sound is not so necessary? Why not change places between 93.9 and 105.9? I have been a QXR listener since 1967 and greatly miss the real variety that used to exist here.

Jul. 23 2011 10:16 AM
Angela

The survey could have benefited from a back button. I made a couple of silly slips and couldn't correct them.

Agree with others that the audio samples were hardly representative of the full gamut of contemporary classical music and, although I only listen to Q2 very occasionally, they didn't even seem representative of the current programming.

Jul. 23 2011 05:06 AM

@Cale Thanks for your time and comments. We are working on ways to have audio information accompany pieces on mobile devices as well as on online music services, such as iTunes. Thanks for your kind words and support of Q2 (me).

Jul. 22 2011 02:04 PM
Cale Stultz from Black Mountain NC

Enjoy listening to Q2 stream via my Roku device. Glad to have discovered Q2. Took the survey. It was a little long but I think I understand that you are attempting to fine-tune your programming. I'm listening to Q2 more each day and am enjoying it. But it would be nice if the music was identified. I'm not up on the artists being played and it would be nice to be able to find a recording if I was really taken with it.

Jul. 21 2011 06:49 PM
nobodhi from up on the roof

SURVEY : I completed & filed mine but please TPTB (The Powers That BE) that it jumped one screen before I could fill it in — "What could we do so you'd listen more" which preceded income etc : I'd have voted to reinstate the 400 years of new music programming ... and more : why not juxtapose steve reich & african drumming ; debussy string quartet & gamelan ; spirituals & opera ; gothic music & silvestrov . Terence does a great job at this. Anyways, what you do IS impeccable. I'm just voting for, in word, eclecticism. After a while, a steady diet of new music can feel jangly. Widen the horizons. Take the doors off their hinges. Thank you for your life.

Jul. 21 2011 01:36 PM
SJ from NYC

The survey requires Flash so don't waste your time trying to take it on an iPad like I did. Very frustrating.

Jul. 20 2011 11:22 PM
Robert from New York

Composers I'd like to hear on the radio.

György Ligeti
Alexander Scriabin
George Benjamin
Gloria Coates
György Kurtág

Jul. 20 2011 05:29 AM
Allan from Boston

The survey was far too long and repetitious. I dropped out after 10 minutes. I wanted to provide guidance, and would have enjoyed making recomendations. But you will have to stick to your promise to take only a few minutes.

Jul. 19 2011 10:10 PM

@Alff and @Robert
Thanks for your critiques. We're sorry the survey didn't include musical examples to your liking, so are all the more relieved that you mentioned styles and sounds that you'd prefer to hear. Please continue to expand on those ideas in the survey itself and in the comments section below, with specific composer names as well. This is the perfect opportunity and the more we hear from you, the more we will be better able to meet your needs and desires and that of the larger contemporary classical community. Thank you!

Jul. 19 2011 05:06 PM
Robert from New York

Was this serious? The survey did not contain any contemporary classical music, at least none that did not simply copy the style from 17th to 19th century classical music. Where is the microtonal stuff? Where is the dissonance! Bring more of the really modern and interesting stuff and you will get more listeners automatically.

Jul. 19 2011 03:17 PM
Alff Orden

I took the survey, but to be honest, I didn't liked any(!) of the music examples. Just the Messiaen-Snippet was acceptable to me. I'm listening primarily to contemporary and modern music for ~15 years now, and none of this was my cup of tea.

Jul. 19 2011 03:11 PM
Joanne

Here's a "love" vote for new choral work. If I could vote twice for choral work, I would. And a vote for hosts and guest hosts. And for themed shows. And for opinions. And Q&As. And sponsored concerts/concertlets.

Jul. 18 2011 05:35 PM
Herb Levy from North Texas

Expanding on a couple of things from the survey: it doesn't matter if on-air hosts are professional musicians, but it does matter if they care about the music, pick the music they play, and have something intelligent to say about it.

For me, the vocal music issue is more complicated than it may be for other listeners. While I don't much like the standard classical vocal sound, I am very interested in singers who don't use that sound from, say, Dawn Upshaw and Rinde Eckert to Meredith Monk, Shelley Hirsch, David Moss. I suspect this is not a usefully common distinction for broadcast.

Jul. 17 2011 09:41 PM

Great idea!! What did I say? More hosted programming, less choral work.

Jul. 16 2011 03:02 PM