Classic Sci-Fi

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)

Take off into the space-age world of vintage science fiction film scores! In the pre-moon-landing, pre-Star-Wars era, sci-fi movies gave us rocket-ships, robots, blobs, and lots of over-sized creatures, plus wild, imaginative music to go with them.

Host David Garland turns your radio into a drive-in movie theater, as it emanates music from such classics as Forbidden Planet, This Island Earth, The Thing (From another World), The Time Machine, Planet Of The Apes, Godzilla, and many other out-of-this-world films.

Forbidden Planet Trailer:

The Thing from Another World Trailer:

Playlist:

Herman Stein - This Island Earth - Main Title, Jet West - Monstrous Movie Music

Louis and Beebe Baron - Forbidden Planet - The Landing, Flurry of Dust/A Robot Approaches - Small Planet

Ralph Carmichael - The Blob - Fireball, Approaching Monster - Monstrous Movie Music

Jerry Goldsmith - Planet Of The Apes - Main Title - Varese Sarabande

Daniele Amfitheatrof - Earth vs. the Flying Saucers - Main Title - Monstrous Movie Music

Bernard Herrmann - The Day the Earth Stood Still - Panic - 20th Century Fox Film Scores

Van Cleve - Robinson Crusoe On Mars - Seal And Main Title, Alarm Clock / Alone On Mars / The Flutestone (Overlay) - Film Score Monthly

Herschel Burke Gilbert - Project Moon Base - Magellan Takeoff, Wernher's Reprieve - Monstrous Movie Music

Russ Garcia - The Time Machine - The Time Machine/People Scurry/Fast Change - Film Score Monthly

Leith Stevens - Destination Moon - On The Surface Of The Moon - Citadel

Dimitri Tiomkin - The Thing (From another World) - Flying Saucer Sequence, Part 2 - Film Score Monthly

Ronald Stein - It Conquered The World - Flying Mind Control - Percepto

Paul Sawtell and Bert Shefter - Space Walk - It! The Terror From Beyond Space - Monstrous Movie Music

Herman Stein - It Came From Outer Space - Visitors From Space - Monstrous Movie Music

Mischa Bakaleinikoff - It Came From Beneath The Sea - Tentacle/It vs. Golden Gate Bridge - Monstrous Movie Music

Akira Ifukube - Godzilla - Footsteps FX, Main Title - GNP Crescendo

Bronislau Kaper - Them! - Ant Fugue - Monstrous Movie Music

Leonard Rosenman - Fantastic Voyage - Cora Trapped (excerpt) - Film Score Monthly

frank munde from Queens new york

I love many kinds of music, but this show is the one I most look forward to all week. David- See you on the 31st!

Jul. 24 2011 04:45 PM
Sam Ciurca from Rochester New York

In 1958, I was in high school and listened to WQXR on my short wave radio all the time and that is one way I must have gotten into classical music as my favorite - also western and sci-fi movies. 'Forbidden Planet' is one of my favorites and I think I got free tickets in a cereal box to see it. The electronic sounds gave us goose-bumps when we first heard it at the theater. I think I was able (around 1958) to listen to stereo by listening to AM & FM simultaneously from Rochester, NY.

Jul. 23 2011 10:10 PM
Victoria from CT

Marc - There is not a second WQXR - and this is the point. WQXR is the only option for classical music on the radio.
Rick - Why can't you listen to this on WNYC and leave WQXR to the lovers of classical music?

Jul. 23 2011 09:47 PM
Rick Blaine

I like this show, look forward to it each week.
I'd like to see a show that demonstrates, for example, how some of the soundtrack from Star Wars, was heavily influenced by classics, such as Holst's The Planets. The classic "purists" complaining here should have nothing to complain about during such a show.

Jul. 23 2011 09:23 PM
Marc from NYC

Love the show and I've been collecting movie and tv soundtracks since I was a child. I'd prefer hearing this on NYC as well, but it's not. Isn't there a second WQXR now as well, or am I mistaken?

Jul. 23 2011 09:08 PM
Frank Feldman

Love Music on the Radio. Loved the Harry Potter, the Bernard Hermann, etc.. OK, OK, that experimental cinema hour with all the out of tune clarinets and amateurish writing was a little funky, but otherwise, count me in. Looking forward to tonight.

Jul. 23 2011 08:57 PM
Victoria from CT

The point is that WQXR bills itself as a classical music station - the only classical music station in NYC. To me this means that I can turn on WQXR and hear classical music. Tonight I cannot. This type of music - and a few other programs currently on WQXR - would be better on the more eclectic WNYC.

Jul. 23 2011 08:47 PM
ereed6

just having some fun on a saturday night. what is all the buzz? try this for fun, go on netflix and watch the movie w/o the sound while listening to the scores on wqxr. have a nice ale or glass of wine, cuddle up w/yours and pretend a little. at the drive -in

Jul. 23 2011 08:11 PM
Raul from New York

Could not agree more with Mr. Meltzer on the dubious choice of those "arrangements" at the new WQXR. But I still think most "movie music" is crap.

Jul. 23 2011 03:03 PM
Michael Meltzer

I don't know what people complain about. Movie music in the theater is full of filler ground out to keep a pulse or mood going, Mr. Garland has excerpted what is real music, and with consistently good taste. Any comparison with "classical" music is theoretical, you have to compare with regular WQXR programming, which is not always the paragon of quality.
I would rather listen to a Goldsmith score selected by Mr. Garland than to Clair de Lune arranged for two guitars by Sergio, or to the Brahms sextet schmaltzed up and watered down for string orchestra by a second-rate conductor.

Jul. 23 2011 11:55 AM

P.S. Spot on Joy Fleisig! And Ilia's theme as as beautiful any love theme to date. I cannot think of a movie score with such a dazzling mix of classical influences and motifs. Let's remember that all of the great composers thrived on patronage. If there was a film industry, the great composers would have been lining up for the work - as they do now. And perhaps Mozart could have scratched out a living a little longer!

Jul. 23 2011 11:03 AM
rick from White Plains, NY

Yes, we can love classical music and still appreciate the genius of great composers for film. Although I am a great admirer of John Williams, the "push the envelope" award must certainly go to Jerry Goldsmith. His work in Star Trek was tremendous but listen to Planet of the Apes - absolutely haunting and powerful - you could easily imagine it as late-discovered work of Stravinsky.

Jul. 23 2011 10:50 AM
Raul R Nunez from New York

Music in the movies was meant to be SEEN and not HEARD

Jul. 22 2011 05:40 PM
Rachel Nussbaum from Manhattan

And David, do not forget the marvelous score for The Little Rascals!!!!!

Jul. 22 2011 03:47 PM
Joy Fleisig from NYC

Correction to my previous comment (darned Auto Correct!) - sections from the score of Star Trek The Motion Picture sound like SUOR Angelica!

David, I hope when you do your show on TV science fiction, you include some of Murray Gold's superb work for the latest version of Doctor Who, and the original Delia Derbyshire arrangement Of Ron Grainer's theme tune.

Jul. 22 2011 02:28 PM
David Garland

There's an interesting discussion going on here in the comments. I feel that my life is enhanced by experiencing both Dvorak AND Louis and Beebe Baron's music for "Forbidden Planet." For me there's no either/or dichotomy; my love of traditional classical music is in no way threatened by my love of film music or other types of music.

I suppose it's true that during the weekly hour of Movies on the Radio no Dvorak will be heard on WQXR, but during that hour we do have the opportunity to explore a related world of composition and orchestration that's rich in imagination, innovation, and emotion, and is full of marvelous examples of composers working with the challenges of story-telling.

What joy there is in hearing great music of all kinds!

PS to Barry Owen Furrer: I have so much sci-fi-related music (a particular favorite of mine) that I've chosen to save all the TV scores for another show.

Jul. 22 2011 10:25 AM
Joy Fleisig from NYC

I also think some of the best classical music written in the 20th century has been written for film. Korngold and Rosza come instantly to mind, and I have no doubt Puccini would have done so had he lived longer. And let's not forget about Alexander Nevsky. For me, though, the greatest movie score of the 20th Century IS from a science fiction film - Jerry Goldsmith's incidental music for Star Trek The Motion Picture, easily the equal of Bernstein or Britten, Prokofiev or Puccini. In fact, the bitonal chords in some sections of that score are very reminiscent of Suit Angelica.

Jul. 22 2011 09:30 AM
Barry Owen Furrer

"Danger Will Robinson! Danger, Danger!" Let us not forget the very fresh and clever themes to televison's "Lost In Space" series by a young "Johnny" Williams.

Jul. 22 2011 04:49 AM
Raul R Nunez from New York

To fellow listener John DiNardo of Towaco NJ: please keep resonating....

Jul. 21 2011 05:01 PM
Rachel Nussbaum from Manhattan

A tip for the fascinating David Garland: most Video Games have fascinating musical scores, much better than Bruckner, Schumann, Schubert and all that boring stuff. Long live the new WQXR

Jul. 21 2011 04:09 PM
Paula Davis from Brooklyn

I maintain that the best music written in the 20-21st century has been for the movies. In the thirties, Korngold wrote a fine score for The Thief of Bagdad,. The music for GWTW, Wuthering Heights, and The Uninvited and Laura was well composed and evocative - symphonic tone poems in their own right. The truly great music that propelled the Star Wars movies, The Lord of the Rings, The Pirates of the Caribbean series, even the Conan the Barbarian movies certainly deserves credit as valuable and inspiring composing while so-called contemporary symphonic compositions are cold, dissonant, alienating and flimsy. Keep up the good work QXR!

Jul. 21 2011 01:56 PM
Victoria from CT

Right now I am enjoying a Dvorak string quartet on WQXR - perfect! However, on Saturday evening WQXR will show it's "Hyde - side" with this sci-fi movie junk! Please, WQXR, play only classical music!!

Jul. 20 2011 10:35 PM
Raul R Nunez from New York

Movies on the Radio? Enough of this crap, WQXR is becoming a not even SEMIClasical station. What's next? The Three Stooges memorable musical backgrounds?

Jul. 20 2011 08:14 PM
John DiNardo from Towaco, NJ

David Garland is a fascinating speaker and thinker. I resonate with many of the musical motifs that he selects for Movies on the Radio, including those mysterious and dramatic movie scores. Also, I'm glad that he has introduced us to the intriguing music of Alexander De Plax[sp?].

Jul. 20 2011 06:08 PM