Cowboys versus Aliens

Saturday, August 06, 2011

Genre movies are often good sources of particularly colorful, imaginative soundtracks. The recent film "Cowboys and Aliens" inspires this musical face-off, in which we'll hear who wins the creative contest between soundtracks for cowboys, versus soundtracks for aliens.

Host David Garland has designated Spaghetti Western maestro Ennio Morricone as the cowboy's champion, and, for the alien's team, we hear from heavy hitters Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Elliot Goldenthal and others.

gonne yeats from far far far far far far far wes

the show was interesting, mainly for illuminating what it lacked.

Aug. 06 2011 10:13 PM
yichihara from NJ

The winner is … Morricone! the king of macaroni Western, the creator of eclectic sentimental sounds. (hahaha …)

I enjoyed the show a lot till the last secomd : )

Aug. 06 2011 10:11 PM
Dan and Luis from Jersey City

Cowboy music beats alien music!

Regular listeners to Movies on the Radio. Keep up the good work David Garland.

Aug. 06 2011 10:11 PM

Wish I could have tuned in sooner. What I heard in the last 15 minutes was fun, actually. I LOVE Morricone! Could listen to his scores all night ... or at least for a full hour! Any chance of a Morricone-only show???

Aug. 06 2011 10:10 PM

How can I cheer on one side, its like my two favorite teams playing against each other.

Aug. 06 2011 10:05 PM
gonne yeats from far far far far far west

I suppose it's the conceit of the show, as I'm listening to it now, that annoys me.... there is no reason for me to be considering who is the better composer.... they're all great!!!!

DAMN!!! IF YOU PLAY ANOTHER MORRICONE SCORE I'M NEVER LISTENING TO WQXR AGAIN.... oh, what is that I hear!!!

Aug. 06 2011 09:57 PM
Amy from Jersey City

Great show always, but this one is especially fun. Love your running commentary. More David Garland!

Aug. 06 2011 09:44 PM
Gonne Yeats from the far far west.

PLEASE!!! it's annoying that you consider Morricone the quintessential western music composer. His music is great, but no greater than Bernstein's, or for that matter Young's, and, HEY!! WHAT ABOUT Morross's Big Country theme. Oh,you're too young to have heard that!!!

YOU'VE LOST ME ON THIS ONE, BUSTER!!

Aug. 06 2011 09:41 PM
Jerry Karl from San Jose, Costa Rica

Movies on the Radio. Great soundtracks David. Hope to see film "Cowboys and Aliens". Especially like the Buster Crabbe Comics #9 drawing.

Aug. 06 2011 09:38 PM
yichihara from NJ

Cowboys vs. Aliens. That’s really a fun title! and for a movie, that’s an amazing idea. I have not yet gone to the movie, but I will. And of course looking forward to the show this Sat. evening. I am in a generation, who grew up watching both Western and Si-Fi movies and TV shows, lots of.

Aug. 04 2011 06:44 PM