Ohio Shop's Classical Music Seems to Cut Down on Loitering

Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 10:19 PM

Shoppers and employees say an Ohio convenience store has fewer people hanging around and hassling customers since the business started blaring classical music.

Customers tell WBNS-TV that loitering has declined quickly outside the United Dairy Farmers location in the Columbus Short North neighborhood. Workers who've also noticed a change say the new music went on earlier this week as part of upgrades at the store.

Shopper Allie Beck says the classical music is loud - she can hear it all the way down the street. But she says it's an improvement over all the people who used to ask for change or bother passers-by outside the store.

Weigh in: What do you think of the use of classical music to influence social behavior?

Sarah E. Samuels from Bronx,New York

While I have no problem with anything used to deterrent such actions, why is anyways classical music? I can think of a number of music in name only that drive me to drink"not in a good way" and would keep me far away. It also speak of a lack of the schools to teach a respect, if not a love for the music.

Aug. 30 2011 03:22 PM
David from Flushing

The use of classical music as a teen repellant has been around for some years now. One can find it in malls and even the NYC bus terminal as mentioned by others.

While this may seem amusing to us, it is also a sign that the younger generation hates classical music to the point of avoidance of casual exposure. I recall seeing a young man walking through the Grand Court at Macy's in Philly with his fingers in his ears so he did not have to hear the Wanamaker organ. The end is near.

Aug. 22 2011 05:11 PM
RICHARD BRODE from New York, NY

The Port Authority of NY/NJ has been playing classical music for years now in the Bus Terminal, of all places - what a pleasure to walk in from the subway entrance or street and ride the escalators to hear Mozart, Bach and others.

Aug. 22 2011 02:17 PM
Mimi_Violetta from Brooklyn

I blast opera in my apartment on weekends when the neighbors' "music" thudding through my walls and ceiling becomes too much. I could never out-loud them but I have a perhaps vain hope that some youngster will hear it and be drawn to it somehow. Elitist, I know.... :-)

Aug. 22 2011 10:08 AM
Julia Douglass

Perhaps classical music influences people to behave in a more civilized fashion.

Aug. 17 2011 03:05 PM
judith from Boston, MA

It's sad that classical music is being used as a deterrent, but at least some people are hearing it who might not else be exposed to it. Of course, I'm not sure that I myself would like to hear it at a volume that it can be heard down the street.

Aug. 16 2011 02:02 PM
Barry Owen Furrer

This reminds me of the high school principal who would play Frank Sinatra recordings during detention hall. By all accounts, this method was a deterrent for repeat offenders with no offense to Mr. Sinatra.

Aug. 16 2011 05:35 AM
Carol from ny

Yea! I love it!

Aug. 15 2011 01:29 PM

I can't completely agree to why they play classical music, but I do like the idea that there are places where shoppers won't be bombarded with muzak.

Aug. 15 2011 10:29 AM