Rome Opera Irked at Luisi's Last-Minute Exit

Monday, September 12, 2011 - 06:08 PM

Rome's Teatro dell'Opera says Fabio Luisi's last-minute bolting from his engagement to conduct Elektra so he could conduct at New York's Metropolitan Opera hurts the world of lyric opera. The Italian capital's opera house says it is considering taking legal action.

Last week, the Met announced that Luisi had been named as principal conductor, filling in for music director James Levine, who re-injured his back in a fall.

The Rome opera house on its Web site Sunday called Luisi's leaving it in the lurch an "unpleasant affair" that hurts its image and audience. Directing Richard Strauss's Elektra starting on Sept. 30 will be Hungarian-born Stefan Soltesz.

Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press

Tags:

More in:

Comments [1]

Adam Stefanile

Someone with the status as Fabio Luisi should not be criticized. Everyone at one time or another is in a rush, especially NYers.

Sincerely,

Adam Stefanile

Sep. 13 2011 09:07 PM

Leave a Comment

Email addresses are required but never displayed.

Follow WQXR 

 

 

 

 

 

Sponsored

About WQXR Blog

Ignite your love of classical music every day with the articles published in the WQXR blog. Here you can find blogs about classical music, playlist selections, curated videos, and other features highlighting the joy of great music.

Feeds