How Haydn Handled Stress

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Everyone has a little stress in their lives, and so did Haydn. In the 1760s and 1770s he wrote in a style called Sturm und Drang, or Storm and Stress. One can easily see why he took part in this artistic movement – he had marital problems, a difficult boss, an overwhelming workload.

So like many of you, Haydn used music to relieve stress, and composed prolifically during this period. You told us that you wanted to hear Symphony No. 44 in E Minor, “Trauer," and we played it at noon.

Symphony No. 44 in E Minor, “Trauer”

Symphony No 45 in F-sharp Minor, “Farewell”

Symphony No. 49 in F minor, “La Passione”

victoria from VA

the "Farewell"

Sep. 14 2011 11:57 AM
David Gravitz from Ardsley, NY

Haydn's Passione Symphony has been my favorite Haydn symphony since I first heard it at a Mostly Mozart concert in the 1970s. It is a shame it is not played as frequently as his late symphonies. It reminds me so much of Mozart's 2 great minor key symphonies, #s 25 & 40, especially the former.

Sep. 14 2011 10:52 AM
Richard from Englewood

Haydn's music, more than anyone's, makes life worth living. The older I get, the better he gets.

We've heard the Farewell often enough. I vote for the Trauer, although La Passione would suit me just fine

Sep. 14 2011 09:15 AM
Barry

Let's have #49.

Sep. 14 2011 08:35 AM
Tim Brown from Washington, DC

I feel Papa's pain, and applaud his coping mechanism. All three clips are wonderful, and the Farewell Symphony makes me want to join the musicians and just walk away. But the Trauer gets my vote - it is so peaceful and soothing - everything is going to be OK.
Thanks, WQXR, for another fun Showdown at High Noon!

Sep. 14 2011 07:29 AM
Michael Meltzer

For a journalist to psychoanalyze a genius, especially in retrospect, is more than a little presumptuous, and almost certain to be not even close.

Sep. 14 2011 05:18 AM