Live Webcast from the Future ISSUE Project Room

Ne(x)tworks Performs Morton Feldman's String Quartet No. 2

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

On Sunday, April 11 at 11:30 a.m. EST, Q2 and WNYC Culture partner to present a live webcast of the historic, first public concert from 110 Livingston, the future second home of the Brooklyn-based performance venue, ISSUE Project Room.

This free pre-renovation candlelit opening concert will be hosted by WQXR Overnight Host Helga Davis and feature new music-stalwarts Ne(x)tworks performing the six-hour contemporary masterpiece String Quartet No. 2 by Morton Feldman. The audience, both in-person and online, are invited to come and go as they please.

The event marks a pivotal moment not only for the local arts community but for the promotion of contemporary, avant-garde musicians of all stripes who have already found in the Gowanus venue of ISSUE Project Room a sympathetic staff and audience.

Hear the webcast live on Q2 from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on April 11 through our pop-out audio player or iTunes.

Event Information

ISSUE Project Room’s Inaugural Concert @ 110 Livingston
Ne(x)tworks Performs Morton Feldman’s String Quartet No. 2
April 11, 2010 | FREE
Performance: 11:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
110 Livingston St. (Entrance on Boerum Place)
More information from ISSUE Project Room »

Vic

N)e(x)t(w)o(r(k)s.....?
Ne(x)tworks Ne(x)tworks Ne(x)tworks

Apr. 12 2010 09:24 PM
Vic

Nex(t)works.....
Thank you for choosing to play Morton Feldman's, STRING QUARTET 2 in honor of the new & future ISSUE Project Room h(ear) now in Brooklyn.
And thank you for allowing WNYC to archive your ( ) performance of this piece.
Such a cool & happening event...
(everything & nothing)
By the way, in order to perform non stop for six hours...how many hours did you practice to make it appear so effortless?

Apr. 12 2010 09:12 PM

Hi Vic,

Yes, we're pleased to say that Ne(x)tworks has graciously allowed us to include their performance for 24/7 on-demand streaming. Check back to this page in the following days as we prepare the audio. Best wishes.

Apr. 12 2010 12:40 PM
Vic from !

Will this performance be made available for listening in its entirety in the WNYC-Q2 archives...?
I hope so. I was there in the room from about 1:30 until 3:45, & I'd like to have the opportunity to re-visit this peaceful event.

Apr. 12 2010 12:05 AM
RLudwig from Scarborough, Maine

I tuned in and heard the most beautiful sounds, I thought, "this must be Morton Feldman", it is. Hats off to Q2 for broadcasting this live event, bravo!
IMHO This is one of the greatest pieces ever written. I heard it live with the Flux Quartet in NYC several years ago, listeners were allowed to change seats, come and go, or even quietly come up on stage next to the performers. The Flux had towels and Gatorade by their stands, they looked like boxers about to go 12 rounds, but of course this is much, much longer and in fact goes the number of rounds the performer wishes!

Apr. 11 2010 02:31 PM
Irene from Upper West Side, NYC

Looks like a beautiful space for IPR. I was wishing I could be there and now I am! The pop-out player is working better than iTunes though. Every time a passage got too quiet, iTunes would recognize it as "finished" and play the next thing lined up in my que. Kind of jarring to go from Morton Feldman to Robyn Hitchcock!

Apr. 11 2010 02:12 PM
Dean Stein from Maine

What fascinating sounds and images the Feldman Quartet conjures up. The endurance it takes to perform a work this long is hard to imagine.
Bravi to the players of Ne(x)tworks and many thanks to this station for sharing this rare treat with listeners near and far.

Apr. 11 2010 01:54 PM
Aaron Fryklund from Dallas, TX

What an exciting presentation. I was reading about this on someone's blog and cursing my luck that I don't live anywhere nearby to hear this rarely performed piece when I got to the part about the webcast. Congratulations and good luck! I can't wait to see it!

Apr. 09 2010 10:43 PM
Kenneth Bennett Lane

Congratulations on this new , as one of your "commentators" mentioned, Carnegie Hall on the internet. I am a Wagnerian heldentenor and have sung 4 solo concerts in the Isaac Stern Auditorium of Carnegie Hall. The hall seats 2804. But the internet can have thousands more in the listening audience with all the comfort of home or wherever.
I also am an opera composer: "Shakespeare" and "The Political Shakespeare" and director of the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute. Kudos!!

Apr. 01 2010 03:47 PM
kevin ryan

Long live Issue Project Room.. this performance is exactly why they deserve to have a permanent home for the performing arts for the generations to come.... truly deserving of their reputation as the "Carnegie Hall of the avant garde" .

Mar. 31 2010 09:20 PM
Vic

I like Morton Feldman, & I'm looking forward to this impressive event, & the realization of this space in Brooklyn ~>
I can't imagine, though, concentrating, & performing for SIX HOURS... 21,600 seconds...(don't look down)

Mar. 26 2010 02:56 AM