Gil Shaham's Shining Violin Concertos

Showdown @ High Noon

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Thursday at 8 pm, WQXR will bring you a live broadcast from Carnegie Hall where the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra will be joined by violinist Gil Shaham in Brahms's beloved Violin Concerto. As a warm up, let’s hear Shaham perform another well-known violin concerto.

All morning it was a tight race between pieces by Jean Sibelius and Max Bruch, who came in just ahead. We played Shaham performing Bruch's Violin Concerto No. 1 in G Minor at noon.

Jean Sibelius: Violin Concerto, Op. 47.

Max Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 26.

Henryk Wieniawski: Violin Concerto No. 2 in D Minor, Op. 22.

Steve Lepp from Verona, NJ

The Sibelius seems to go well with this gloomy day!

Oct. 12 2011 11:50 AM
Cynthia from NJ

I love both the Sibelius and Bruch, but have never heard the Wieniawski, so I vote for Wieniawski.

Oct. 12 2011 11:47 AM
Thomas from Brooklyn, Flatbush

I voted for the Wieniawski, simply because it's not heard as often as the other to choices. As beautiful as they are, -- they're over played.

Oct. 12 2011 11:25 AM

Whenever I try to chose one piece during these showdowns, I think of the line in the movie "Amadeus", where Mozart is trying on wigs and exclaims "They're all so beautiful! Why don't I have three heads?"

Oct. 12 2011 11:10 AM
Zulema from Bronx, NY

What Renata said. The Wieniawski is truly seldom heard.

Oct. 12 2011 10:33 AM
Renata from NJ

I'd love to hear all of them! If I'd really have to choose one, I would choose Wieniawski, the least often played here.

Oct. 12 2011 09:52 AM
Julia de Bary from Kearny

All the violin Concertos are wonderful, but Max Bruch's is my favorite, no words for Mr Shaham...I got 1 tkt to see him tomorrow with Orpheus...looking forward to this concerto:)
Love U all:)

Oct. 12 2011 09:05 AM
benstoj from New York City

A most blissful moment in my life;sitting in a beach chair on Jones Beach and listening to the Wieniawski concerto ,while watching colorful kites on the clear autumn day; a feeling matched only once before in my youth when resting on my back in the fields of Polish countryside I watched a lark ascending. I feel most fortunate to have these memories.

Oct. 12 2011 08:07 AM
Bernie from UWS

PS - I realize the Sibelius Concerto is a 20th century work but its language is thoroughly rooted in the 19th century.

Oct. 12 2011 06:57 AM
Bernie from UWS

Shaham did a nice recording of the Prokofiev Concertos with Previn and the London Symphony. Why not hear those works, which we don't often find on WQXR? You do us a disservice by always focusing on 19th century romantic works in your Showdown. There's another 500 years+ of great music out there!

Oct. 12 2011 06:55 AM