A Beethoven Piano Sonata Showdown

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

As we head toward WQXR’s Beethoven Piano Sonata Marathon this Sunday, today’s Showdown features three modern masters of that repertoire. After leading all morning, Alfred Brendel was victorious as your choice for who you wanted to hear play Beethoven’s Sonata No. 23 in F Minor, Op. 57, "Appassionata?"

We played the piece at noon.

Alfred Brendel plays the Appassionata, third movement:

Richard Goode (playing Mozart)

Murray Perahia plays the Appassionata, second movement:

To hell with all this: after Yesterday I all want to here is Evan Shinners!

Nov. 21 2011 03:02 PM
Michael Meltzer

Richard Goode's recordings of the Beethoven Sonatas are truly a legacy and a gift to the listening public.
To have presented him to your voters in a Mozart clip is unpardonably stupid. You owe him !

Nov. 16 2011 12:44 PM
Counce Hancock from CT

To the rest of you voters: Listen to Goode's recording of this (we 36 have done).
ch

Nov. 16 2011 12:12 PM
RP from New York

Richard Goode, please.
Thank you.

Nov. 16 2011 12:00 PM
Davd Gravitz from Westchester, NY

Why a choice only among living pianists? Would love to hear Rubinstein, Horowitz, Serkin whose playing lives on only through their recordings

Nov. 16 2011 11:57 AM
William Leo Coakley

Brendel is simply the best pianist for Betthoven (and Haydn) today. It's sad that he no longer plays in public but the recordings live on.

Nov. 16 2011 11:52 AM

My vote is Perahia. If Uchida has done it, that would also be interesting. We all have the Brendel recordings? I will happily be listening to any of them.

Nov. 16 2011 11:40 AM
Edward from Morris Cty, NJ

Alfred Brendel. I have his recordings with James Levine of the 5 Beethoven Cti and I LOVE them!

Nov. 16 2011 11:17 AM
Charles Witteck from New York, NY

Goode is great.

Nov. 16 2011 10:42 AM
andrea from Miller Place, NY

Actually, I prefer Brendel's interpretation of Beethoven overall, especially when he plays the "Emperor's Concerto."

Aren't we fortunate to have all these pianists' performances available to suit our tastes and moods? Thank you - WQXR!

Nov. 16 2011 10:17 AM
Philip Calderone

Three excellent choices, but Brendel captures both the precision and fire of Beethoven the revolutionary.

Nov. 16 2011 08:29 AM
Hinda Ader

Murray Perachia is my choice as pianist to play Beethoven. In fact, he's my pianist of choice to hear playing any piece whatsoever!

Nov. 16 2011 08:13 AM
Jeff from Brooklyn

Where's Lang Lang?
Kidding....

I rather like Mitsuko Uchida's performances of Beethoven actually. They're very lively and features lots of interesting details.

Nov. 16 2011 08:00 AM
Michael Meltzer

Bernie: Brendel is a superb pianist of great depth and elegance, and I've also met him and liked him very much.
I still feel that his Beethoven is more Brendel than Beethoven. He has a basic serenity that is a very attractive quality, but the wrong shoe for this particular foot.

Nov. 16 2011 06:58 AM
Renee from UWS

Richard Goode is my choice.

Nov. 16 2011 06:51 AM
Bernie from UWS

I'd argue that Alfred Brendel is really the master of Beethoven's sonatas. He recorded two cycles of the sonatas in the 1960s, both of which came to define his career and reveal new insights. Unfortunately, the video here of Goode playing Mozart isn't much help in comparing these two artists.

Nov. 16 2011 06:47 AM
Michael Meltzer

Richard Goode is the towering Beethoven player in that group, but when you don't include Rudolf Serkin or Wilhelm Kempf, you haven't understood the subject matter.

Nov. 16 2011 12:15 AM