The Wonderful World of Nino Rota, Part I

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Nino Rota's centenary is on December 3rd. The great Italian composer was a master of moods, from the outsized emotions of "The Godfather" to the jaded insouciance of "La Dolce Vita."

Rota developed a unique sound for his collaborations with director Federico Fellini, but there are many facets to his output, and David Garland presents the first of two programs (the second part will air Dec. 3, 2011) which display Rota's versatility. This program features "La Dolce Vita," "The Godfather," "La Strada," "War and Peace" and more.

monica from Juarez, Mexico

What a wonderful show! I just found it and will keep listening over the internet. The excerpt from "Fortunella" not only has the theme more recognizable in "The Godfather"; it also has a theme lifted from 1954's score for Fellini's "Il Bidone" (the fanfarre).

Jan. 11 2012 05:01 PM
injamaven

I first noticed his music as a pre-teen in the '50s "War & Peace"; the music played for Natasha and the 'Maid of Novgorod' moved me enough to note his name and be doubly impressed a chance to see "La Strada" There's something so nostalgic, makes us all Italian.

Dec. 06 2011 01:30 PM
injamaven

Nadia's Theme from Rocco & his Bros. is definitely one of the saddest little themes ever written.

Dec. 06 2011 12:13 PM

this is a great show. david garland is a master of radio and takes you way back to when radio was all there was(hard to believe). the music is usually excellent but not always. music from great Italian themes has to be a winner.

Dec. 03 2011 05:16 PM
Jonathan Brown

The song Patricia in La Dolce Vita was used in the seaside cafe scene. Was it Fellini or Nino Rota's decision to use that song? Does anyone know?

Dec. 02 2011 01:07 AM
Wendl Kornfeld from New York City

Rota, my favorite composer! Hope you'll include music from 8-1/2, I Vitelloni, The White Sheik and Amarcord in the next program.

Nov. 27 2011 02:30 PM
John Epperson from NYC

Yes, please more than just 2 shows on Rota.

My requests: Mambo, I Vitelloni, Purple Noon, Rocco and His Brothers, Romeo and Juliet, Satyricon, Amarcord, The Abdication, Death on the Nile, Casanova, Juliet of the Spirits.

Thanks!

Nov. 27 2011 11:18 AM
Michael Meltzer

I look forward to Part 2, but I hope you might also consider a Part 3, 4 & 5.

Nov. 26 2011 09:43 PM
David Garland

@Dennis Oveis, music from The Leopard will be heard next week. I'll have Nino Rota part 2 on his centennary, Dec. 3rd, though probably starting a little after 9 pm, due to a preceding live broadcast.

Nov. 26 2011 08:26 PM
Dennis Oveis from Tampa fl

i can only assume that we will get to hear the wonderful series of dances he wrote for the movie "il Gatopardo" (The Leopard)...one of the great movies of all times and the music is a major contributing factor...the recent Criterion release, full and in italian is the only way to go.

Nov. 26 2011 11:13 AM