Live from Trinity Church: Handel's Messiah 2011

Monday, December 12, 2011

The Trinity Church steeple across the street from the sidewalk shed prototype.

On Monday, Dec. 12 at 7:30 pm, WQXR presented a complete performance of Handel's Messiah by the resident Trinity Choir and Trinity Baroque Orchestra live from Trinity Church in Lower Manhattan. Conductor Julian Wachner leads the orchestra through this perennial favorite, featuring an elaborate mix of chorus, soloists, and orchestra in the church where it received its New World premiere in 1770.

David Garland hosts, with additional commentary from conductor and organist Kent Tritle. Listen to the concert here at WQXR.org on our audio stream.

Program Details:

Monday, December 12 at 7:30 p.m.

Handel's Messiah

Part III
Jolle Greenleaf
Dashon Burton
Ryland Angel
Elizabeth Baber

Toni Tynan from Greenwich, CT

Thank you for printing my comments on WQXR and the wonderful music they play for all of us each day...I truly appreciate your appreciation of what I wrote...I will always listen to WQXR no matter where I am...

Wishing WQXR continued success...

Toni Tynan
TTY.Greenwich Library.org

Feb. 14 2014 12:44 PM
Carl Ehmann

Really appreciated your broadcast......several times!

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

Dec. 27 2011 02:34 PM
Stephen Lepp from Verona, NJ

Dear Ladies/Sirs,

What a wonderful performance!!!,
may I ask you to consider releasing this on CD?

Best Wishes for the Holidays and New Year!

Steve

Dec. 21 2011 12:42 PM
Scott Spiegler from Brookline, MA

As someone who has just come off two mediocre open sings of this piece here in MA, I truly appreciate the caliber of the singers and instrumentalists in this performance. For one, our bass soloists in both performances did a little too much shaking and quaking, so that his 16th note runs repeatedly fell behind the orchestra. All the voices in this group are superb. What a lovely way to kick off the holidays!

Dec. 20 2011 05:09 PM
Martin Sticht from Brooklyn, NY

Thanks for broadcasting this superb performance! Special thanks to Julian Wachner for his invigorating interpretation.
Truly wonderful.

Dec. 19 2011 11:49 PM
Toni Tynan from Greenwich, CT

Dear WQXR,
The first thing I do when I arrive at Greenwich Library where I work, is to
turn on WQXR...I listen to you all day, while I am working, then when I arrive home after work in early evening, butn on my radio in the kitchen, as well as the den, and your selections of beautiful music resound throughout my house...My husband introduced me to WQXR when we married 40years ago and after he lost his battle with cancer, I continued to tune into WQXR each day when I am home...Thank you for filling my heart with such joyous sound...May all of you at WQXR who bring so much beauty to all of us who love to hear the classics be blessed with everything good especially good health, peace & prosperity,and continued success in all your endeavors..."Merry Christmas! "Happy Holidays" God Bless all of you...Sincerely, Toni Tynan, Greenwich, CT

Dec. 19 2011 12:09 PM
Paul Lieblich from Suzhou, China

How wonderful it is to be living in China and yet still not get disconnected from annually hear this beautiful piece done so well.

Dec. 18 2011 11:11 PM
belinda from NJ

thank you so much for keeping this tradition. what magnificently inspired music...as Bach would say not to us, O Lord, not to us but to YOUR NAME be the Glory!!!

Dec. 18 2011 10:07 PM
Kurt Blaihut from TRAIL B.C. Canada

I have not been to New York City for many years but listening to WQXR makes me feel part of this wondrous,artistic,musical city. Your music choices are excellent and your presentations are beyond thrilling.

Dec. 17 2011 08:12 PM
Edward F Turberg from Wilmington, NC

A wonderful performance that jumps out from my computer speakers, as if I was in the church nave itself. Thanks so much, WQXR, for providing such a wonderful Holiday present for a wide range of listeners!

Ed Turberg, Wilmington, NC

Dec. 16 2011 12:37 PM
Margaret Peters from Richmond, VA

It would be wonderful to hear this concert-performance but after several tries, I loose the signal shortly into the overture.

Dec. 16 2011 10:15 AM
leon solomon

as a former new yorker i sorely miss wqxr.
but thanks to internet i can enjoy your wonderful musical selectionse.g "the messiah" that i`m listening at this moment.
seasons greetings to all at qxr.

Dec. 12 2011 10:17 PM
Maria Muller from Poughkeepsie, New York

Thank you for broadcasting this magnificent music.
I never grow tired from listening to this musical composition. I wish I were there.

Dec. 12 2011 09:45 PM
ted timmins

Thank you for this, it helps us get in the
spirit of the season