Music for a Tropical Escape

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Now that the weather is starting to get really cold, we thought you might like some music to warm you up. We asked you to pick which piece will help you escape to a great warm weather vacation spot.

Manuel DeFalla’s Nights in the Gardens of Spain (inspired by the Andalusian region of Spain where DeFalla was from) was your top pick and we played it at noon.

Delius: Florida Suite

DeFalla: Nights in the Gardens of Spain

Gottschalk: Symphony No. 1, La nuit des tropiques

Edith Ries

Let's hear that Gottschalk today. So very rhythmical. Let me close my eyes and drift southward. Used to love playing his piano music....all those wild keys!!

Dec. 21 2011 09:32 AM
James R. Matarazzo Jr. from North Caldwell

All three, as they are equally dependent on one another and devine.

Dec. 14 2011 11:58 AM
Barbara from Queens, NY

Let's hear Gottschalk - it's got a swinging-ness that gets my feet tapping. He's not played often enough!!

Dec. 14 2011 11:48 AM
Karen Ann from Morristown, NJ

Buy American! Play the Gottschalk, please.

Dec. 14 2011 11:30 AM
Alfred Vulcan from Huntington, NY

To reduce noontime work related fatigue, nothing is better than Arturo Marquez Danzon No. 2 Ole!

Dec. 14 2011 11:26 AM
harry

The Delius piece has a charming melody. AsI recall, that melody was converted into a popular song in the 30's.

Dec. 14 2011 10:31 AM
Stuart Hobbs from Columbus, Ohio

Harvey Swados wrote a wonderful short story about two lovers who lived in Brooklyn and listened to the de Falla.

The story was called "Nights in the Gardens of Brooklyn."

Dec. 14 2011 10:13 AM
Christian Waters from Huntington, LI

I'm a New Orleans boy, now living in the wilds of Yankeeville (a.k.a. Long Island) so I have I to go with the hometown champ: Gottschalk. Besides, I love that 19th Century cheesiness he has about his compositions.

Dec. 14 2011 10:12 AM
Arden A.Broecking from Darien, Connecticut

I would love to hear the Gottschalk.

Dec. 14 2011 09:33 AM
Bernie from UWS

I agree with Mr. Meltzer. The Delius is a little too much like elevator music for my tastes.

What about one of Villa-Lobos's Bachianas Brasileiras pieces? Or perhaps Gershwin's Cuban Overture?

Or how about some Mexican sounds from Revueltas, Ponce or Rosas? I'd love to hear more of that on WQXR.

Dec. 14 2011 07:39 AM
Sidney Goldman from Baldwin, New York 11510

Nights in the Garden of Spain is my favorite of the three works. Manuel DeFalla is very interesting to listen to because of its themes and orchestration.

Dec. 14 2011 07:31 AM
Michael Meltzer

If it is to be de Falla, hopefully it will be by way of Alicia de Larrocha or Artur Rubinstein. If it is Gottschalk, please stick with Abravanel.
The performers make all the difference in the world.
Use the Delius as "music on hold" for your telephones.

Dec. 14 2011 04:57 AM
Harry Matthews from Brooklyn, NY

Let's hear from America's first musical superstar, Gottschalk, whose music reflects his New Orleans and Caribbean roots. Green-Wood Cemetery, by the way, is restoring his grave site with a reproduction of the original monument; look for a re-dedication next spring or summer.

Dec. 14 2011 01:29 AM