Q2 Music’s New Music Countdown

A Countdown for the 21st Century

Thursday, December 15, 2011

What are the modern-day equivalents of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony, Bach’s Brandenburgs and Mozart’s Requiem? Or, to put it another way, who would be elected prom king and queen in the homecoming of breathtaking, paradigm-shifting classical music composed in the 20th and 21st centuries? It’s up to you to decide.

Join Q2 Music’s inaugural NEW MUSIC countdown by voting for your favorite classical works composed on or after 1900.

To participate, write in your selections using the entry form below. We'll tally your votes and count down the top listener picks starting Dec. 29 and continue through New Year's Eve.

Help us explore and give shape to the classical canon of tomorrow!

* Required

Q2 Music Newsletter

Get the latest news on upcoming Webcasts, festivals, interviews and shows.
Please leave this field empty

Naim Peress from Great Neck, NY

I am voting for Beethoven's Symphony #7 as my favorite piece for this year.

Dec. 28 2011 12:05 PM
Edward Duff from Kissimmee, FL

Recently put you on my computer. There is none (zero)classical music on air in central Florida. WMFE (NPR) recently switched to all talk, except for the awful new age music on weekend nights. What a disappointment, and in fact, we have stopped supporting the station. Their loss. I lived most of my life in southern CT and listened to WQXR all the time when I was up there.....so great to have your station back in my life. Thanks for your great shows....especially Pipedreams....wish you would broadcast the entire show (2 hours)......it could easily replace one of your repeats.

Dec. 24 2011 01:26 AM
Martha Sullivan from NYC

Hmm. Is a piece written over 50 years ago new music? I don't know. Thanks for allowing us to choose three pieces and composers, so I can still put my beloved Bartok in the Q2 list ... although I feel guilty doing so, because while his stuff is fresh, I can't in all honesty call it new.

Dec. 23 2011 11:54 PM

As of December 23, 2011, the top 5 vote-getting composers are <drumroll>:

(in random order) Olivier Messiaen, Steve Reich, Igor Stravinsky, Bela Bartok and John Adams.

Looking to break into the top 5 are Dmitri Shostakovich, Philip Glass, Aaron Copland and Henryk Gorecki, plus many more, including some surprises... e.g. Charlemagne Palestine!

Vote for your favorite pieces composed on or after 1900 and add your voice to the mix while you still can!

Dec. 23 2011 06:26 PM
Rosemary Cohen

Thank you for bringing great music to the public!

Dec. 23 2011 12:17 PM
Sarah Longstreth

One of the best things I've ever heard. Heard it live three times now; transported every time.

Dec. 21 2011 03:00 PM
richard shevlin from new york city

thanks for the opportunity to voice our favorites.

Dec. 21 2011 12:00 PM
Aleksandar

great survey

Dec. 19 2011 08:15 AM

About Q2 Music

LISTEN TO Q2 MUSIC'S 24/7 STREAM

Q2 Music is WQXR’s online music station devoted to 20th and 21st century classical music, trailblazing ensembles and vibrant, live performances from New York City's leading new music venues. Q2 Music lives online at www.wqxr.org/q2music, where you can find host biographies, essential playlist info, composer profiles and on-demand shows, and is accessible via the free WQXR App.