A Musical Movable Feast

Friday, January 13, 2012 - 02:59 PM

Chamber Music at the Antique Garage in Soho Chamber Music at the Antique Garage in Soho (Elliott Forrest/WQXR)

On Thursday evening, I attended a lovely evening of chamber music in Soho at a restaurant (and former auto-repair shop) called the Antique Garage. The evening started with cocktails, followed by Mozart's Duo for Violin and Viola played by the terrific violinist Stefan Jackiw and violist Emily Daggett Smith. After that dinner was served.

A Kodaly duo was next on the agenda, followed by dessert, then Schubert and finally more mingling.

The music was curated and hosted by Julia Villagra who runs Tertulia, a new organization whose goal is to bring professional chamber music to a variety of informal venues around the city, including restaurants, caf├ęs and wine bars.

I spoke to Ms. Villagra, founder and artistic director of Tertulia. She told me why chamber music can benefit from informal surroundings. Listen above.

Julia V from New York, NY

To all of you who saw this and commented: please find us at tertulianyc dot org and sign up for our mailing list! I have to admit, Tertulia is really working. We're selling out concerts to young audiences over and over again. This is what classical music needs!

May. 10 2013 01:12 PM
Dianne

Just heard on WQXR. Love the idea. When and where is the next one!!!!

Jan. 14 2012 02:07 PM
Kim H from NYC

What wonderful events! I've been to several, and the music and ambiance are phenomenal. They're great because the smaller musical sessions make music more 'digestible' for musical newcomers, but the quality of musicians is sure to satisfy the most discerning expert.

Jan. 14 2012 12:41 PM
Victor G. Villagra from Noank, CT

I missed the last Tertulia but I have been there for earlier ones and loved every one of them. Aside from the wonderful music, mingling with the artists is one of the great features of Tertulia. Yeah, I guess reading about who the artists studied with and where they have performed tells me about their artistic pedigree- and that is OK- but having a glass of wine with them, face-to-face I learn even more interesting things about them as people. That is why Tertulia is different for me than other "concerts". Musicians tell me about their amazing instruments, who made them, their hobbies, funny anecdotes during performances, etc. The intimate setting that Tertulia offers is unique, affordable, fun, real and enormously satisfying. See you all at the next one.

Jan. 14 2012 09:40 AM
Michael Meltzer

It sounds from the repertoire choices that they are trying to be "purists" about not using portable electronic pianos (or harpsichords). If so, that's an unnecessary burden, under the circumstances, especially for audiences not already spoiled by 9-foot grand acoustic pianos.
Give some young pianist a job!

Jan. 14 2012 04:37 AM
Teddy from Yorkville

Gawd, do we need to get Great music out to the masses. Anyway possible. I am all for it.

Jan. 13 2012 09:19 PM
AliV

Beautiful music, incredible talent, superbly delivered and organized. BRAVO! More please.

Jan. 13 2012 04:25 PM
Jaclyn J

Wasn't there for last nights show, but this sounds like an amazing concept. Can't wait to attend the next one!

Jan. 13 2012 04:19 PM