Alison Balsom is likely the busiest classical trumpet soloist in the world. This season the 33-year-old Englishwoman visits China where she performs with National Symphony Orchestra under Lorin Maazel and Los Angeles where she'll make her Hollywood Bowl debut. She has made television appearances including on The Late Show with David Letterman and at the Last Night of the Proms in London (the latter seen by over 100 million people). She's had a major-label contract since 2002, a rarity in this day and age.
We caught up with Balsom on her latest American tour to find out where she prefers to stay when she's on the road. Here are her five favorite hotels (and yes, she knows how lucky she is to stay in them).
5. Fairmont Beijing in Beijing, China
4. Hotel Muchen Palace in Munich, Germany
3. Copacabana Palace in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2. Hotel Metropole Monte Carlo in Monte Carlo, Monaco
1. The Plaza in New York City