Mozart's Don Giovanni

This performance is delayed and will start at 1 pm

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Some noteworthy singers have taken over the main roles in Michael Grandage's production of Don Giovanni, the story of the young, arrogant and sexually promiscuous nobleman who encounters something he cannot kill, beat up, dodge or outwit.

The bass-baritone Gerald Finley is Don Giovanni, the tenor Matthew Polenzani is Don Ottavio, and the soprano Ellie Dehn as Donna Elvira. The bass-baritone Bryn Terfel, taking the place of the scheduled John Relyea, sings Leporello. The soprano Marina Rebeka returns as Donna Anna.

Finley last sang Don Giovanni at the Met in 2005. His other starring roles in recent seasons include the title role in the Met premiere of John Adams’s Doctor Atomic and Golaud in Debussy’s Pelléas et Mélisande.

The production, which premiered in October, is conducted by Andrew Davis.

Cast

Conductor: Andrew Davis
Donna Anna: Marina Rebeka
Donna Elvira: Ellie Dehn
Zerlina: Isabel Leonard
Don Ottavio: Matthew Polenzani
Don Giovanni: Gerald Finley
Leporello: Bryn Terfel
Masetto: Shenyang
The Commendatore: James Morris

yichihara from NJ

Dear WQXR,
Due to prior obligation, I was unable to listen to the radio until past 4pm and not to the end. Even so I sensed that this performance was extraordinary! Is there any way that I can listen to it again for the entire performance? Too good to miss ...

Mar. 11 2012 12:54 AM
concetta nardone from Nassau county

Not contributing is poor form.
Today's opera is not too complimentary to women. Zerlina looking for a better deal, Donna Anna tormenting poor Ottavio, Donna Elvira lamenting her lost virtue. But God, the music is gorgeous.
Thank you Mr. Eisenberg for the poetry.

Mar. 10 2012 05:09 PM
paula nelson from tarrytown, NY

I agree with the writer who said their "lack of commercials" and pledge drives are insulting to their listeners. They spend most of their time on pushing an endless series of goods and services. They plead poverty but have more money than god and are constantly asking for more. I wouldn't give them a plugged nickel

Mar. 10 2012 04:03 PM
AF from Long Island

THANK YOU, WQXR, FOR STARTING THIS OPERA AT THE USUALLY SCHEDULED RADIO TIME!!

(Would that the Met would consider its attendees when scheduling start times; the noon start times are very inconvenient for those travelling to the city from out of town as well as for those planning to go to dinner in Manhattan. This opera will be over before around 3:30 and restaurants don't open for dinner until 5:00/5:30 pm.)

Mar. 10 2012 03:36 PM
jls

"We believe that to move it earlier would have proven potentially confusing for many listeners who are accustomed to tuning in at 1 pm..."

That's a revealing glimpse of WQXR's opinion of the intelligence of its listeners. It's worth noting that the early curtain time is not exactly unprecedented. In fact there were two 12 noon broadcasts just last month.

Mar. 10 2012 03:29 PM
ardath_bey

go to Sirius, people, you can get 7-day free trials for each e-mail address you have (and you can have countless) I've been listening for free for years.

as for WQXR I only listen when my life depends on it, it's more silly blabber than classical music, the announcers are annoying, talk too much and want you to believe it's a commercial free station when they're selling everything but their first-borns 24/7/365. And those fund drives, BOY!

Mar. 10 2012 01:52 PM
Michael from Yonkers, NY

It's no longer "Live at the Met" on WQXR, now it's "tape-delayed at the Met."

Mar. 10 2012 01:51 PM
larry eisenberg from nyc

Don Giovanni por favor,
A splendid singing cast, what's more,
Enraptured, I listen,
And how the notes glisten,
Mozart, Da Ponte, I adore!!!

Mar. 10 2012 01:50 PM

@Michael & Konstantin - This week's broadcast is being delayed by an hour in order to maintain the regularity of the usual 1 pm start time. We believe that to move it earlier would have proven potentially confusing for many listeners who are accustomed to tuning in at 1 pm. That said, we thank you for your feedback.

Mar. 10 2012 01:40 PM
Donald from NYC

Delaying the opera by one hour is a dumb move by WQXR...guess that's what happens when we get the WNYC crowd (heavy on the paperwork and the payroll) involved.

Mar. 10 2012 01:36 PM
Michael from Yonkers, NY

This tape delay is inexplicable and disheartening. One of the things that makes the Met Broadcasts so special is that they are broadcast live and now, at least on certain Saturdays, we cannot even hear them live in New York, on the Met's flagship station, WQXR. Instead I am listening to Don Giovanni live on the stream of WFMT, 900 miles away in Chicago; I have always listened live on WQXR, but this afternoon this is impossible. Please, WXQR, reverse this decision, it makes very little sense, for years we have tuned in when the opera begins at the Met, and we have arranged our Saturday schedule around that, not the other way around.

Mar. 10 2012 01:24 PM
Konstantin Economy from New York

Why is this performance of Don Giovanni tape delayed? And not "Live" like it usually is?

Mar. 10 2012 11:27 AM
Kenneth Bennett Lane, Lake Hiawatha,l NJ from Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute, Boonton, NJ

Casanova of Vicenza, Italy was the name I meant to refer to regarding the historical real life individual the fictitious Don Giovanni's persona was based on.

Mar. 10 2012 10:52 AM

Don Giovanni, based on the historical Italian womanizer C-------,
although he had many, many intimacies with all races, ages and backgrounds of women, never, according to writers and he himself, NEVER had the ultimate pleasure of san orgasm. Like the inventor Thomas Edison, he "experimented," but, unlike Edison, without success. DON GIOVANNI is the ideal opera, like Carmen, in story line and musical expression and extraordinary opportunities for the personages to display their vocal prowess and dramaturgy techniques. The greatest of singers, Pinza, Chaliapin, Emmy Destinn, Rosa Ponselle, Richard Tauber, John McCormack, Kipnis, and too many to mention here have advanced their own careers significantly with their roles in this masterpiece. My website; www.WagnerOpera.com contains 37 complete selections recorded LIVE from my four Carnegie Hall Isaac Stern Auditorium 3 hour long solo concerts, downloadable, free, from the "Recorded Selections" venue. My voice teachers included the legendary Met Opera singers bass Alexander Kipnis, baritone Friedrich Schorr, coloratura Frieda Hempel, dramatic soprano and mezzo Margarete Matzenauer, mezzo Karin Branzell, baritone John Brownlee, baritone Martial Singher and the renowned voice teacher Enrico Risati, teacher of Beniamino Gigli, Lauritz Melchior and Giacomo Lauri-Volpi. I teach voice and train actors for all the Shakespeare roles and big-voiced singers for the Wagner roles at the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute in Boonton where I am the director.
I myself do not shrink from doing masterpieces that are not performed because it is the rare singer who has the requisite vocal technique or vocal fach. I .will sing a three hour program, "Romance in the Stratosphere with a High D Natural above high C, High D flat, and 30 High Cs." Arias on the program are from Guglielmo Tell, Il Trovatore, La Favorita, La Juive, Norma, La Fille du Regiment, Der Postillon von Lonjumeau, Faust, La Boheme, La Belle Helene, I Puritani, and the oratorio, Stabat Mater. On March 24th the venue will be the New Life Expo at the New Yorker Hotel. On March 31st the venue will be the Lake Hiawatha, NJ Library. Kenneth Bennett Lane is the director of the RWMD.

Mar. 10 2012 10:45 AM

Hi Beduzza. Don G. Saw the telecast but never got into that opera style years ago. Sorry, but those recits. Zzzzzzzzz. Hope you are well & stay full of vinegar & your feisty comments flowing. All the best.

Mar. 09 2012 10:28 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau county

Greetings Beduzza Cavanaugh,
I was going to avoid this opera for a time but just as I thought I was free of him, he pushed me back in. Watched the telecast and really enjoyed it. He just keeps on seducing me. Hope you are well.

Mar. 09 2012 10:11 AM