Murray Perahia Plays Mozart

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

In an era of flamboyant virtuosos, pianist Murray Perahia is often described as a "musician's musician."

Perahia turns 65 tomorrow (April 19), and since his Mozart interpretations are so beloved, we’ll hear him perform a Mozart piano concerto today.

You chose his Piano Concerto No. 26 in D, K. 537 "Coronation," the the one you wanted to hear at noon.

Jean Goldsmith from El Paso, Texas

I like the excitment of the unknown so I am voting for the Coronation.

Apr. 18 2012 11:33 AM
David Gravitz from Westchester County, NY

If I could vote among all 27 of Mozart's piano concerti, I would vote for #24, followed by #20, his only concerti in a minor key. They have an excitement and emotion I don't find in the other 25. However, given the choices, I voted for #21 despite, not because of, the slow movement, which I find cloyingly saccharine. The outer movements however make up for it and against the other two, it is my choice.

Apr. 18 2012 11:23 AM
Claire from NJ from NJ

I'm not familiar with the Coronation Concerto, but would love to hear it. Therefore, my vote goes to it today. Thank you.

Apr. 18 2012 11:13 AM
Richard from Englewood, NJ

All are wonderful. In general, though, my advice is never to miss listening to any Mozart Koechel >500. Hence, the Coronation gets my vote today.

Apr. 18 2012 11:04 AM
Michael Bonifanti from Manhattan

The first recording I ever owned of a Mozart piano concerto was suggested by a kind and knowledgeable record
store clerk in the New York of the mid 1960's. He was fond of #17 played on DGG by Geza Anda, and I learned to
love it too. It was a long-play vinyl record, and on the reverse side was Anda's recording of #21 which I also enjoyed immensely. After the film Elvira Madigan was released I noted that the publisher changed the cover art
work, and the same LP was marketed as "Elvira Madigan Concerto". Number 21 gets played frequently; let's listen to Number 17.

Apr. 18 2012 11:01 AM
Danny Shanok from Somerset, New Jersey

I only voted at random... not too fond of Mozart ... perhaps it takes more than 66 years to learn to appreciate him. But I'll listen for the "lightness of touch" and interpretation iin whatever you choose today.
P.S.: it's the lilting resonance and tone of YOUR voice, Annie, that keeps me tuned in and turned on.

Apr. 18 2012 10:59 AM
lonny from nutley

apples and oranges. all masterpieces; however number 26 is my choice cause it has it all. majestic symphonic entrance; operatic nuences, hypnotically relaxing andante seems so simple a novice could play it,and with fireworks in the final movement that leaves you charged. please play them all! thanks

Apr. 18 2012 10:55 AM
Morty Rosner from Teaneck NJ

Murray Perahia can play anything for me from Bach to Mozart, Beethoven, Schumann or Chopin. I've given up on any chance of his playing Ravel or Prokofiev. But others have that covered. I'm sure many today will vote for #21, but I'll take the road less traveled and go with #26 "he Coronation."

Apr. 18 2012 10:37 AM
Fred Adler from Staten Island

I chose concerto 21 with the Elvira madigan theme because when seeing the movie I had no idea it was from Mozart.When hearing the full concerto played ,the entire movie and its rather sad theme returned And who better to hear it played by than Murray Periah.

Apr. 18 2012 10:33 AM
Tim Brown from Washington, DC

A triple treat! Any and all of these are perfect for a noon-time repast, I'll pick the Coronation because it is less familiar to me. Didn't care for the link to the Amazon page. It is a nice chance to sell CDs but involves a lot of scrolling and reading of tiny type and clicking for very short music clips.

Apr. 18 2012 08:59 AM