Music to Soothe the Savage Spring

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

After several days of gloomy, rainy weather here in New York City, we are wondering: what happened to spring? We’re hoping one of these three pieces will bring back the sunshine.

After a last-minute surge, Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring emerged as your favorite. We played it at noon.

Mary G from Bronxville

There never needs to be an excuse to play good music, but I disagree with the premise as a whole. A few much-needed showers do not a damper on spring make. As a flower-lover and a mushroom hunter, I look forward to these signs of spring. Maybe by next year someone will have composed Music for Morels!

Apr. 25 2012 12:25 PM
rene benayoun from Queens NY

Debussy is pronunced Deu-bu-cy no t De' biu-cy, please Midge!
Camille St Saens " """" '' Ka -miye not Ka-millllle
etc, etc
WQXR signal disappears at Exit 51 on the LIE. I used to hear it until about Exit 70 before it changed frequency what a pity!!!
Cordially, Rene

Apr. 25 2012 12:11 PM
Peter O'Malley from Oakland, New Jersey

While Marcia and Zeke are right, in that this piece (the Stravinsky) celbrates the savage side of Spring, it's good to see that it won the vote. I can't count how many times I have heard "Appalachian Spring" on WQXR in, say, the last year or six months and, given my disappointment in the Shakespeare's birthday programming (I don't recall hearing a single word of the Bard's during the daytime programming; nor an operatic rendition thereof), I would not have expected "Rite of Spring" to have been one of the choices.

Glad I was surprised.

Apr. 25 2012 12:10 PM
Marcia from New York City

For springtime I would love to hear Debussy's Printemps or any piece about spring by Delius.

Apr. 25 2012 12:08 PM
Marcia from Brooklyn

Doesn't Stravinsky's Rite of Spring add to the savage spring rather than soothe it?

Apr. 25 2012 11:56 AM
EileenCG from Katonah, NY

Oy...enough with the Copeland already. I'm a fan, but even I would like something less heard. My vote is for Schumann.

Apr. 25 2012 11:54 AM
Cathy from Brooklyn,NY

Copeland, Copeland, Copeland

Apr. 25 2012 11:48 AM
JR in Westchester

How about Vivaldi?

Apr. 25 2012 11:43 AM
Henry Loveland from NJ

Copland, if you please. It makes my lady very happy, and that of course does the same for me. Thank you.

Apr. 25 2012 11:35 AM

I'm not voting this time around. I'd like to hear Benjamin Britten's Spring Symphony and/or Johann Strauss Jr.'s Voices of Spring added to the list. But I'm ok with what the other voters choose.

Apr. 25 2012 11:33 AM
RP from NYC

I absolutely agree with the email from Daniel Mc Carthy but will add one other composer whom I despise and that is Stravinsky. For that I would go with DuckDeadeye's idea of Anna Russell's"Oh how I love the Spring." That would at least be amusing. I love Schumann and would always like to hear more of his music. Now there was a composer!!

Apr. 25 2012 11:26 AM
Bob Abate from Yonkers

Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring is one of the finest, most rousing, yet also contemplative themes I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. It addresses both the heart and mind.

Apr. 25 2012 11:16 AM
Carolann Nexon from Denville,NJ

I'm in the mood for Stravinsky! It was pretty chilly when I got up this morning, and "Rite of Spring" will get my blood moving! Thanks WQXR.

Apr. 25 2012 11:13 AM
Helen Mallon from Basking Ridge NJ

We would love to hear Copland's Appalachian Spring: For many years we traveled south on I-81 from NJ to Asheville NC the week after Easter to attend a college Board meeting. We always planed Appalachian Spring on a CD in the car and enjoyed the change from bareness of trees to the budding and flowering of trees and plants as we drove further south. I still see pictures of the Appalachian mountains in all their spring glory as I listen to that beautiful music.

Apr. 25 2012 11:13 AM
Jim from Atlanta, GA

Igor rocks..I am asking my airline friends to vote for this. Thanks

Apr. 25 2012 11:12 AM
Miranda from Brooklyn

Igor, baby. And thank you so much, WQXR, as always.

Apr. 25 2012 11:10 AM
george

Schumann is underappreciated and underplayed in my view.

Apr. 25 2012 10:59 AM
Connie DiGiovanni from New York City

Copeland all the way.

Apr. 25 2012 10:57 AM
Emily from Manhattan

Stravinsky please! He rarely gets good air play.

Apr. 25 2012 10:56 AM
Saralyn

Copland absolutely. This piece means spring for me.

Apr. 25 2012 10:55 AM
Francisca Sabadie from Scarsdale

i am voting for Appalachian Spring for two reasons at least - it reminds me of a very happy summer working in Appalachia in the war on poverty - i am showing my age! - and, even more importantly, it reminds me of the springtime of my romance with a dear friend who just passed away and who loved Copeland! thanks

Apr. 25 2012 10:31 AM
Robert Rowe from Alto, New Mexico

"Rustles of Spring" seems appropriate.

Apr. 25 2012 10:30 AM
HYH from Streaming at work

Stravinsky please. We need the rain so, I'm not complaining about it. But, it is a bit gloomy and as much as I love both the Schumann and Copeland, I need the fiery Rite of Spring to shake my brain up a bit and electrify the air. Perhaps, play all 3? How about the 2nd mvt of Mahler 1?

Apr. 25 2012 10:26 AM
Richard L Dunklee Jr from Laurel Springs, NJ

I love Coplands Appalachian Spring. The piece epitomizes the season so well, soft, gentle, new beginnings and the quiet sounds of the season. It is a great piece to just sit back and clear my mind of all that is happening in my life at that moment.

Apr. 25 2012 10:26 AM
Richard from NYC

Aggressively alive whatever the season. More Stravnsky!

Apr. 25 2012 10:21 AM
Suzanne from New York City

Schumann for schur! I haven't hard it for a while and it pleases me way more than Copeland or Stravinsky. Please - make my day!

Apr. 25 2012 10:18 AM
Zeke Z from State College, PA

If spring be savage, then only the "Rite" can conquer.

Apr. 25 2012 10:15 AM
Chris from Midtown

I like to hear Benjamin Brittons Five Flower Songs in the spring. But since that's not on the showdown list, it's Stravinsky for me.

Apr. 25 2012 10:11 AM
Earthlover from New York, NY

I love Aaron Copeland, anytime, anywhere, everyday of the year.

So beautiful and peaceful.

By the way, we are actually have a very good spring, and we desparately need the rain for soooo many reasons. The drought, dry wooded areas and to help the trees and flowers bloom.
Be thankful when there is rain, nature and humankind need it desparately.

Apr. 25 2012 09:52 AM
Bernie from UWS

Hear, hear. Let's give Mr. Copland a rest. How about Debussy's "Rondes de printemps" from Images, or Schubert's "An den Fruhling?" But if we must choose between these, then the Ring of Spring would help shake the cobwebs out of my mind on this Wednesday morning.

Apr. 25 2012 09:39 AM
kriss from NJ

I'm voting for the Schumann, just because we don't hear it as often as the others. Would appreciate more choices and more variety in general.

Apr. 25 2012 09:32 AM
Kate from Old Bridge NJ

Oh, please play as much Copeland as you like-- I adore Appalachian Spring for the sheer joy of it. It never fails to lift the spirit and I would love to hear it today!

Apr. 25 2012 08:25 AM
daniel mc carthy from NYC

PLEASE NO MORE AARON COPLAND "APPALACHIAN SPRING" OR ANYTHING ELSE BY COPLAND. ALL YOU SEEM TO PLAY IS APPALACHIAN SPRING, BILLY THE KID, SWAN LAKE, WILLIAM TELL, AND OTHER TRITE UBIQUITOUS WORKS.

THIS AIN'T DALLAS.

WE NEED SOME CHALLENGING VARIETY.

DON'T EMAIL ME.

Apr. 25 2012 08:11 AM
Barry Owen Furrer

Speaking for myself as one with a shorter attention span, perhaps the "In Springtime" overture Op. 36 by Goldmark, "Voices of Spring" Op. 410 by Strauss, and/or Mendelssohn's "Spring Song" No. 6?

Apr. 25 2012 05:02 AM

I'd rather hear Anna Russell's "Oh, How I Love the Spring." (When ny-hy-hy-mphs and shepherds DANCE in a ring!)

Apr. 25 2012 01:21 AM