Masur Fractured Shoulder Blade in Paris Accident

Monday, April 30, 2012 - 07:45 AM

Kurt Masur Kurt Masur (Radio France / Christophe Abramowitz)

Conductor Kurt Masur fractured his shoulder blade when he lost his balance and fell off the stage at a concert in Paris on April 26, his assistant said on Monday. He remains in Paris's Pompidou hospital and has canceled his scheduled concerts through June.

"A further scan of Maestro Masur's left shoulder has now indicated that his shoulder blade is indeed fractured," said Stefana Atlas, in a statement. Initial X-rays last week did not show any broken bones or other major injuries.

The statement added that doctors "are confident that he will make a full recovery" and return to conducting in September.

The accident happened when Masur, 84, was conducting the Orchestre National de France in a performance of Tchaikovsky's Sixth Symphony. His left foot reached the edge of the podium and he lost his balance. A violinist tried to hold him back but he fell into the space between the stage and front row of seats. He remained conscious through the incident.

Masur was the music director of the New York Philharmonic from 1991 to 2002, and is the honorary music director of the Orchestre National de France.

Barry Owen Furrer

It is my humble opinion that giving the "thumbs down" to blogger's comments who only want to wish Mr. Masur to get well, is a violation of the Comment Guidelines of this station. While attempting to be civil, I too, wish Mr. Masur a full and speedy recovery.

May. 01 2012 07:45 PM
Robert F. Davies, Esq. from Hackensack New Jersey

Your thousands of admirers wish you a speedy recovery. This month or two may give you, Maestro, the opportunity to delve into a topic or two that you have always wished you had the time to pursue?! With great affection and respect, your fans.

May. 01 2012 10:40 AM

Speedy recovery, Maestro.

Apr. 30 2012 08:23 PM

I studied many of my roles, Wagner, Verdi, Puccini and other composers, with Maestro FAUSTO CLEVA, the opera conductor with the longest career at the Met Opera. He collapsed at the podium after conducting the first 8 measures of the opera version of Orpheus, the Greek hero of mythology, at the Acroplis's 2000 year old, rock-hewn Herodes Anticus Amphitheater, below the Parthenon. At that very time of his demise, there was satellite coverage of the American moon landing on August 6th, 1971. They interrupted to announce that "Fausto Cleva, conductor for 50 years at the Met Opera has succumbed while conducting at the Herodes Atticus arena in Athens, Greece." I was also at the MET OPERA'S La Forza del Destino when Leonard Warren died on stage. My friends Jerome Hines and Mignon Dunn along with Richard Tucker and Renata Tebaldi rounded out a spectacularly cast Forza. Warrren had sung the best he had in years. Such calamities on stage do show that we are all very mortal, very vulnerable under certain circumstances. Mazur, like Leonard Bernstein before him, has a true ecumenical and humanitarian approach to dealing with others. He was staunchly anti-Nazi,
Born and living in Jersey City, NJ I had the distinct advantage of proximity to the Met Opera and the New York City Opera to attend, at minimum cost, two to three times weekly, at standing room, from age 15, performances of a wide rep by major singers whose like simply does not exist today. At age 10 I heard on WNYC a broadcast of the recording of Toscanini's conducting the New York Philharmonic in the Rhine Journey and Funeral Music. This recording was made long, long before his recording with the NBC Symphony. That hearing encouraged me to borrow from our major library in Jersey City, on Jersey Avenue, the piano vocal scores of all the Wagner operas from Der fliegender Hollander to Parsifal and the full orchestra scores of the RING and TRISTAN. I started studying composition, composing, and as an autodidact at that time, singing. Taking at different comfortable octaves, I studied, "sang" all the major male roles, marginalizing the David, Mime, Alberich, Young Sailor, and their peer brothers whose roles did not interest me. MY professional career started at age 17. My study of voice with Friedrich Schorr, Alexander Kipnis, Margarete Matzernauer, Frieda Hempel, Martial Singher, Mack Harrell, John Brownlee and Karin Branzell, all leading singers at the Met Opera before they retired, prepared me for my rep decisions. Schorr, Kipnis and Singher I saw in performances at the Met long before I got to study with them. I am the director of the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute, a Wagnerian heldentenor and an opera composer of "Shakespeare" and "The Political Shakespeare."

Apr. 30 2012 05:31 PM
REMY PALO from Cypress CA 90630 USA

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Apr. 30 2012 02:50 PM

I wish Mr. Masur the best in everything and a fast and full recovery. I anticipate his return to our New York Philharmonic with great relish.

Apr. 30 2012 11:36 AM