Opera singers have been rarely known for their toned physiques but that is gradually changing as a generation puts to rest the old "fat lady sings" cliché.
Among them is baritone Nathan Gunn, who has received almost as much fame for his strapping build — and unbuttoned shirts — as for his vocal and dramatic talents. For this "topless five," we asked him to name the most memorable roles in which he had to shed some clothing for the sake of the art form.
5. Daniel Catán - Florencia en el Amazonas (Riolobo)
4. Tobias Picker - An American Tragedy (Clive)
3. Péter Eötvös - Love and Other Demons (Father Delaura)
2. Benjamin Britten - Billy Budd (Billy Budd)
1. Gluck - Iphigénie en Tauride (Oreste)