The Ebène Quartet's Top Five String Quartets
Saturday, May 19, 2012
Members of the Ebène Quartet, an ensemble from Paris with credits in standard classical repertoire but also jazz and pop, name their five favorite string quartets.
The Ebène have become big news on the classical scene in recent years, receiving some critical praise for their 2009 album of Ravel, Debussy and Faure, works that are close to their French pedigree. But they've also made a splash for their arrangements of pieces by Miles Davis and Astor Piazzolla, plus "Misirlou," the tune made famous on the soundtrack to "Pulp Fiction." Below the quartet members give us their all-time top five.
5. Mozart - String Quartet No. 15 in D Minor K. 421
4. Ravel - String Quartet in F Major
3. Brahms - String Quartet No. 2 in A minor, Op. 51 No. 2
2. Bartok - String Quartet No. 1 Op. 7
1. Beethoven - String Quartet in C-sharp minor Op. 131