Choose the Exit Music for Glenn Dicterow

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Last week, New York Philharmonic concertmaster Glenn Dicterow announced his retirement after the 2013-2014 season. Today, we look back on his 30-plus years with the orchestra and ask for your help with the playlist.

Of the works below, half of you cast your vote to hear the violinist perform with the New York Philharmonic on Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. We played it at noon.

Hi, Judith - I just read your comment and checked my notes. If I said 29%, I apologize. My notes definitely said '21%' for the Strauss and 'just about 50% for the Rimsky-Korsakov.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

Midge

May. 30 2012 12:09 PM
Miles from Montclair, NJ

My vote is for Scheherazade. It brings back childhood memories of the Tales of the Arabian Nights -- the exotic, the mysterious and the powerful -- and with the bonus of gorgeous violin solo playing, just the sort of piece Mr. Dicterow was born to play.

May. 30 2012 11:56 AM
Yefkin from Queens

Fell in love to this music. Still in love with this memory.

May. 30 2012 11:55 AM
William Leo Coakley from Manhattan

It is too hot to dance, well, perhaps not to tell stories. But Mozart is the better singer and he will carry us off to more aetherial, if not cooler, regions where we cab think of the pleasure Mr Dicterow has given us over the years.

May. 30 2012 11:42 AM
Judith from Brookline, MA

If I heard you correctly, Midge, you just tallied the vote, and announced that Scheherazade had 50% of the vote, Mozart had 30%, and Strauss had 29%. By my reckoning, that's 109%. Hmmm ...

May. 30 2012 11:40 AM
Raymond Banacki from Brooklyn, New York

Glenn Dicterow - and Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov's "Scheherazade Op. 35" - as such a first-rate soloist, who seems to have performed everywhere and can even be heard on soundtracks as diverse as "Beauty and The Beast" and "Interview With The Vampire" - Mr. Dicterow will bring this highly dramatic music to the level of "the sublime".

May. 30 2012 11:04 AM
Robert from Manhattan

I think you spend far too much time announcing over and over and over all morning the music countdown or whatever it is called. It gets so boring I have taken to switching to the music on my iPod so I don't have to listen to the same announcement repeatedly.

May. 30 2012 10:56 AM
George from Connecticut

I also am in favor of Scheherazade, for all of the reasons stated by others - and selfishly because that work is in my all-time Top Ten.

May. 30 2012 10:13 AM
Carol B from Bronxville

What a marvelous, agonizing decision! You picked three winners, but I went with Rimsky-Korsakov. Hope you'll play Ein Heldenleben and the Mozart soon to celebrate Dicterow's wonderful, distinguished tenure as concertmaster.

May. 30 2012 10:11 AM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

I agree with Adriana; I voted for Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade. Besides, we already hear enough Mozart - let's hear something else for a change!

May. 30 2012 10:04 AM
Adriana from Albertson

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, all the way! It's such a beautiful and powerful piece...It gives me goosebumps! :D

May. 30 2012 09:04 AM
Judith from Brookline, MA

No matter what else is on offer, I'll always choose Mozart's sinfonia concertante. I love the way the voices of the violin and viola interweave with each other and with the orchestra.

May. 30 2012 08:48 AM
David

His first name is spelled "Glenn," not "Glen."

May. 30 2012 02:03 AM