Conducting Neeme Järvi's 75th Birthday

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Conductor Neeme Järvi in Tallinn, Estonia. Conductor Neeme Järvi in Tallinn, Estonia. (Wikipedia Commons)

Thursday marks Estonian-born conductor Neeme Järvi's 75th birthday. Järvi has made more than 400 recordings and is especially well-known for his interpretations of late 19th and early 20th century orchestral music.

For today’s Showdown, we asked you to help us celebrate by selecting which of the three symphonies from around the turn of the 20th century listed below that you wanted to hear Järvi conduct. You chose Mahler's First and we played it at noon.

Jan Schwartz from Vacaville, CA

Thank you for playing this wonderful piece, so masterfully conducted! Happy Birthday to Maestro! This made my work morning here in Northern California!

Jun. 06 2012 12:56 PM
Michael Meltzer

I recommend that WQXR secure this recording as its mainstream choice for this symphony. I also recommend the defenestration of the Bernstein recording that WQXR almost always plays (without any protective case).

Jun. 06 2012 12:35 PM
Greta Seashore from New Haven CT

My husband and I fell in love at Tanglewood listening to this! Now I have to delay lunch and listen too!

Jun. 06 2012 12:11 PM
Lee Lieberman from Fort Lee, NJ

As a subscriber to the NJSO for the last 20 yrs I think I've heard NJarvi conduct all three in Newark. He's even more of an inspiration in person than he is on recordings; he has coaxed an even wider range of expression from the players than did his fine predecessor(Zdenek Macal).
Happy Birthday Maestro!

Jun. 06 2012 12:09 PM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

Thanks, Midge! This is worth delaying my lunch hour for!

Jun. 06 2012 12:07 PM
Peter O'Malley from Oakland, New Jersey

Much as I like the "Titan", I didn't vote for it as it is surely played more often on WQXR than either of the other two choices. I wanted Sibelius's less popular Fourth, but I guess it wasn't to be.

Jun. 06 2012 12:06 PM
Helen Kotler from Pompton Plains, NJ

I love just about anything that Mahler composed, although it wasn't always so, took me some years to really appreciate him. I enjoyed Neeme Jarvi's conducting when he was with the NJ Symphony. Good wishes to him.

Jun. 06 2012 11:54 AM
Peg from Larchmont

When in Finland do as the Finns do. Sibelius of course! A great way to celebrate Maestro Jarvi.

Jun. 06 2012 11:53 AM
Raymond Banacki from Brooklyn, New York

Neeme Jarvi and Sibelius' Fourth Symphony - well, we have been having rainstorms AND thunderstorms so why can't we have a "musical thunderstorm", too?

Jun. 06 2012 11:21 AM
Sandi Pells

My grandmother emigrated from Finland.
When I was a kid, I would visit her in her home in Point Pleasant, NJ. She always listened to classical music on the radio (WQXR????)and whenever Sibelius was playing, she always made sure that I knew it and listened to it. Had to stop everything and listen. Therefore my vote for Sibelius -such good memories from that time.

Jun. 06 2012 10:56 AM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

Without a doubt, it has got to be the Mahler 1st Symphony! I wish Maestro Jarvi a very happy birthday and good health for many more years. He did such a wonderful job when he was music director of the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, and I always enjoyed watching him conduct and experiencing the great relationship he had with the orchestra and the audience.

Jun. 06 2012 10:42 AM
Alan Bradfield from London UK

Hi All

Really enjoying the music and hearing about the weather in NY! Here in London its rained for days.....

The music is helping me to decorate our house in SW London

Best Wishes
Alan Bradfield

Jun. 06 2012 09:27 AM
christopher st. clair from Brooklyn, NY

Today I voted for Nielsen, simply because I know it much less well than the other two splendid "war horses." I have several recordings of both Mahler and Sibelius I can refer to, but Nielsen would be a rare experience for me - and isn't it great to learn something new in the terrific classroom that is WQXR? In any event, happy birthday to Maestro Jarvi. May he wield the baton for many years to come.

Jun. 06 2012 07:44 AM