Which is the Best Father-and-Son Duo?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

In anticipation of Father’s Day this coming Sunday, we selected three father-and-son musician duos for today’s Showdown: Violinists David and Igor Oistrakh, pianists Rudolf and Peter Serkin, and Yehudi (violin) and Jeremy (piano) Menuhin.

You voted for Rudolf and Peter Serkin, and we’ll played the pianists performing together today at noon.

David and Igor Oistrakh perform Mozart’s Sinfonia concertante.

Rudolf and Peter Serkin perform Schubert's March No. 2 in G major for piano four hands (not the Mozart piece).

Yehudi and Jeremy Menuhin, with clarinetist Thea King, perform Bartók's Contrasts for Clarinet, Violin & Piano, Sz. 111 (not the Beethoven piece).

Neil Schnall

Just wondering what "the top 5 chips..." refers to, since the choices were limited to the usual 3. Does anyone know?

Jun. 13 2012 03:35 PM
Neil Schnall

Ms. Yates beat me to it. Which is the best...?! What an asinine question!

Yes, language matters. A few of us still care.

Jun. 13 2012 11:55 AM
Susan Yates from Croton-on-Hudson, NY

As usual, your "headline" raises hackles ... by asking the wrong question "Which father-son duo is best?" Totally ridiculous!
Darther on, you ask the more appropriate question: "Which father-and-son duo do you want to hear?! That's what should be used as the headline!
Perhaps your editors haven't noticed, but language counts!

Jun. 13 2012 11:27 AM
Jacob S. from Borough Park in Brooklyn, NY

I posted a comment under listener requests before I saw the "showdown" button to enter my vote for the Sinfonia Concertante. I;ll try to repeat the comment:
This has been one of my favorite compositions since I was in my teens, over 40 years ago. Later, on a date with wife to be, we attended a concert at Carnegie Hall featuring Isaac Stern and Pinchas Zuckerman. The high-note riffs at the coda of the finale elicited a giggle from her, and it still does that to me whenever I hear it.

Beatiful music, happy memories!

Jun. 13 2012 11:22 AM
Judith from Brookline, MA

Very, VERY difficult choice. Of course, I want to hear all three, but that never happens. I truly couldn't make up my mind, so I called my father, who is a gifted amateur musician, for his opinion. He said definitely the Oistrakhs - it's a marvelous recording (and David plays the viola, not the violin) - so that's my vote. But, I'm still hoping that we get to hear the other two soon.

Jun. 13 2012 10:33 AM
Judith Broy from Massachusetts

Serkin & Son... please!

Jun. 13 2012 10:23 AM
kriss from New Jersey

I would like to hear them all! But having to choose, I'm going for the Spring Sonata, which I just love.

Jun. 13 2012 09:52 AM
Charles Dimston

What's wrong with father and daughter duos like the Franks ?

Jun. 13 2012 07:35 AM