Keeping Cool With Mozart's Wind Concertos

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

With the summer heat starting to rise, help us bring on some cool breezes with wind concertos by Mozart for the flute, oboe, clarinet or bassoon.

Despite a valiant effort from bassoon fans, it was the clarinet that earned the most votes in the end. We played Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A at noon.

I have noticed a resemblence of some Mozart portraits to some George Gershwin photos; or maybe I have gotten into the catnip. Interesting parallels of musical genius and short life spans, as well.

Aug. 04 2012 06:54 PM
TJ from Phoenix/Anthem, AZ

I am so glad it was the Clarinet Concerto in A, K. 622 won the vote. It has been my all-time favorite. This partiality is probably because I attended a live concert in Providence, RI in the mid 80’s conducted by Christopher Hogwood (AAM). I am an avid fan of Mozart’s music and I have every single piece of music he composed that is available.
I have missed WQXR for the past 13 years since my move to Phoenix AZ, not any more. Thanks to web and phone app. Now it feels like I never left NY/NJ area.

Jun. 27 2012 12:37 PM
Neil Schnall

It's necessary to choose? Yes, according to the arbitrary parameters set by the conceit of a "showdown" between equally worthy choices; but for no other reason I can think of. What dire consequences would result from playing all the concerti in contention here? They could probably all be accommodated within a single hour, give or take a few minutes. Honestly, I don't expect an answer, given WQXR's track record of unresponsiveness to such challenges to their methodology. (That, once again, is a challenge to prove me wrong.)

Jun. 27 2012 12:20 PM
Di Clark from Chatham, NJ

And another thing! I am leaving tomorrow on a work assignment for 2 weeks in East Africa - I am sure all these wonderful Mozart links will help cool my brow after a hard day in 110+ degrees heat ... so thank you for the links, still hoping the vote goes for the bassoon but truly, all are so uplifting and inspiring any choice will be a triumph. It is a PERFECT day here in New Jersey - I just came in from putting in some final transplants before I leave, hoping for sunny days and cool nights here, with good rain showers at nights to keep the garden growing. Thank you WQXR and thanks to you to Wolfgang A.

Jun. 27 2012 11:51 AM
William Curtis from NYC

If you don't play the bassoon concerto, I'll hear the one you play, then turn of QXR for 20 minutes and play my own CSD of the bassoon concerto.

Jun. 27 2012 11:51 AM
Flute Lady from Manhattan

My nickname gives away what my choice would be! But I'm reluctant to vote for the Flute Concerto - I just don't like it all that much, even after having learned it. I much prefer the Flute Concerto #2, which in reality is the Oboe Concerto in a different key and with a few little notes changed here and there, but I just don't like it as much when played on the oboe - and that's how we usually hear it on the radio. Like Bill Slocum, I also would have voted for K. 299 if it were offered. So this time, I'm happy to abstain and listen to whichever piece wins.

Jun. 27 2012 11:50 AM
Di Clark from Chatham, NJ

My amazing cousin Stefan just finished his freshman year at Cincinnati Conservatory majoring in BASSOON so you van guess how i vote ... despite the fact that my Dad played the OBOE with the D'Oyley Carte orchestra after WW1. (Yes WW ONE).

Jun. 27 2012 11:45 AM
Pierre Biscaye from Westwood, New Jersey

One of my most favorite musical memories is of a half-dozen bassoons and contra-bassoons being played off The Ramblas in Barcelona. one summer evening about a decade ago. I had just stumbled onto this sextette playing a baroque piece, with the musicians standing next to a church, their music echoing beautifully throughout the square. I sat down in a nearby outdoor cafe, enjoyed a coffee or two, and reveled for an hour in the pieces they played.

Jun. 27 2012 11:35 AM

I love them all, but the clarinet concerto is my favorite, followed by the bassoon concerto. Debbie

Jun. 27 2012 11:28 AM
Raymond Banacki from Brooklyn, New York

I'd have to go with Mozart's Flute Concerto No. 1 in G. It seems to float beautifully in the air, on the air. It's pretty close to "sublime", I would say. And, on a cool, comfortable summer's day, it is "the perfect companion".

Jun. 27 2012 11:27 AM
Jeanne from NYC, NY

They're all beautiful - how can we choose? Why not play them all? Pretty please?

Jun. 27 2012 11:24 AM
Bonnie from NY NY East Side

I agree that the flute-and-harp concerto would be a beautiful choice, ergo I vote for the flute concerto. Maybe you'll give us the flute-and-harp one another day!

Jun. 27 2012 11:01 AM
LT

I agree! I LOVE the bassoon. I miss playing it.

Jun. 27 2012 11:00 AM
Zvi Stone from Jerusalem, Israel

The Clarinet Concerto

Jun. 27 2012 10:55 AM
Tom from Montclair, NJ

NOBODY likes the bassoon! Why?!?! The bassoon concerto gets my vote, just because no one else likes it! Well, that's not really true. It IS a beautiful concerto. Bassoon concerto all the way. C'mon, all you bassoon lovers/players! Let's put the bassoon concerto over the top!

Jun. 27 2012 10:03 AM
Julia de bary from Verona, NJ

Mozart is only one... his music is wonderful and unique...very difficult to choose...why do not play all of them?

Jun. 27 2012 09:47 AM
Counce Hancock from CT

Is there a hierarchy of sublimity? How can we possibly rank these beauties. Play them all.

Jun. 27 2012 09:11 AM
Jim Lent from new jersey

The Clarinet concerto should win, but the Oboe concerto was the first piece by Mozart I ever listened to all the way through way back when. It gets my vote as a thank you to the composer for providing the gateway into his musical genius.

Jun. 27 2012 08:17 AM
Bill Slocum from Norwalk, CT

His Flute & Harp Concerto, K. 299, would be my pick. But barring that, got to go with his Flute Concerto No. 1. It's light and sweet and a perfect dog-day pick-me-up!

Jun. 27 2012 12:14 AM