Pick Your Favorite Maestro for Midsummer Music

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Next week, WQXR will bring you two broadcasts of the New York Philharmonic’s summer parks concerts, conducted by music director Alan Gilbert. Looking forward to these summery serenades, today’s Showdown featured Philharmonic performances conducted by the four most recent music directors: Zubin Mehta (1978-1991), Kurt Masur (1991-2002), Lorin Maazel (2002-2009) and Gilbert (2009-present).

We asked who you’d like to hear up on the podium and you told us Kurt Masur leading Brahms's Symphony No. 2.

Counce

They are all worthy musicians, but Gilbert's my man.

Jul. 11 2012 11:44 AM
RP from New York City

Can't stand Mehta, never could, but adore the music of Sibelius. So I choose Sibelius. In my opinion, you should have Sir Colin Davis conducting this. Then you really have something!! But then, I sadly could not choose the conductor.

Jul. 11 2012 11:17 AM
margarita from Queens,NY

I heard Maestro L.Maazel conducting first time exactly 50 years ago in Moscow. From that time I try not to miss any performance of this great conductor and musician!

Jul. 11 2012 11:16 AM
Linnaeus from Long Island

A typical WQXR morning: Open those stable doors! Let the warhorses out! Why do none of the contending pieces surprise me? Sibelius for me; one needs a little northern chill at this time of year. "FIrebird"? I think not.

Another dose of Delius (so sweet and pastel) is just over; and before that Suk's "Fantastic Scherzo," which seems to show up about once a week. A good friend of mine, a real classical maven in Brooklyn, has m.o.l. given up on WQXR, except for the SatOpera, but I am not at that point yet, although having iTunes, I find that Kent State's WKSU is right below WQXR, and it's so easy to toggle down now and then. Much less professional station; much more varied playlist out there in the pejoratively termed "flyover" land.

But my heart, I guess, belongs to WQXR after forty-five year's listening...

Jul. 11 2012 11:15 AM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

To answer Kriss: I agree with you to a certain extent, but there is also another "B" composer whose music we rarely, if ever get to hear on this station: BRUCKNER! How about it WQXR?

Jul. 11 2012 11:07 AM
Elise Radick from Closter, NJ

They are all wonderful pieces of music and conductors, but my favorite is "Firebird" by Stravinsky. Thanks WQXR.

Jul. 11 2012 10:58 AM
Carol Luparella from Elmwood Park, NJ

Thank you for also including the piece that will be performed this time. It doesn't matter to me which of these great conductors is at the podium; I choose by the work that will be performed, and in this case, I have chosen the Sibelius Symphony #2.

Jul. 11 2012 10:37 AM
kriss from New Jersey

Any of these fine performances would be a treat, but I'm voting for the Brahms, just because we don't hear enough of his music.

What was that "3Bs" ad about - "Bach Beethoven and . . ." NOT Brahms???!!

This composer deserves more exposure.

Jul. 11 2012 10:36 AM
Tim Judd from West Point

Every time my wife and I heard Maazel conduct a familiar piece we were always surprised with something we had never heard before but was always there. It could be a line, a rhythm, a texture, a tempo, but there was always something he brought out that was new.

Jul. 11 2012 10:21 AM
Les from Miami, Florida

Of the choices I'll cast my vote for Kurt Masur because I think he's the more objective and least fussy.

Jul. 11 2012 09:51 AM
Julia de Bary from Verona, NJ

Ohhh My Goshhhhh...is not fear...all of them are great Maestros conducting fine works of art.....To day I will go for Stravinsky's Firebird and Maazel;s conducting.
Congratulations to all at WQXR you are doing a great job!
Love U guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul. 11 2012 08:57 AM
Tim Brown from Washington, DC

Brilliant, dynamic, dramatic - these are all attributes of Stravinsky's Firebird and Maazel's conducting, and so get my vote for today. Thanks for another fun contest!

Jul. 11 2012 06:10 AM
Richard Levine from Jerusalem, Israel

You made it really hard this time - not only do we have to choose among outstanding conductors, we have to choose among outstanding (and very different) pieces! I'll admit that my choice was partly influenced by my love for Sibelius #2, ever since I heard it at Carnegie Hall with the amazing George Szell. But really I couldn't go wrong here, whatever I would have chosen!

Jul. 11 2012 05:32 AM