Which Stravinsky Ballet Suite Stirs You?

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

All this week on Exploring Music, host Bill McGlaughlin takes a deep dive into the music of Igor Stravinsky. For our Showdown, we’ll hear one of Stravinsky’s major ballet suites, but we needed you to help us choose which one: L'Oiseau de feu (The Firebird), Le sacre du printemps (The Rite of Spring) or Petrushka.

You chose The Firebird Suite and we played it at noon.

raebarlow from NYC

No thanks to all three. Have heard and seen these ballets a lot.

Jul. 25 2012 11:16 AM
Brad from Hackensack, New Jersey

Le Sacre du printemps

Jul. 18 2012 12:01 PM
Monty from Brooklyn, NY

Let's face it: Stravinsky wrote lots of music but he peaked early. Nothing equals the early 3 ballets.

Jul. 18 2012 11:57 AM
Ted from New Jerseyt

They are all good, but Firebird is heard often,and I have played it with our symphony (Monmouth Symphony Orch.) and Rite of Spring is heard occasionally, but Petrouchka, I haven't heard in a long time. There was a time that it showed up regularly, but now seems to be replaced by Pulchinella. Please!

Jul. 18 2012 11:56 AM
Shelley from New York City

This was a very tough choice! for today: Firebird

Jul. 18 2012 11:55 AM

I voted for Lorin and the NYPhil only because I wanted to hear what they did with the Firebird. I like all the choices and I would point out that the Symphony in Three Movements has also been choreographed and as such could have been included. I would have voted for that choice if it had been offered. But because WQXR insists on thrusting an embarassment of riches upon us, I had to 'settle' for the Firebird. I suppose that's like 'settling' for gold plated dishware when dining on foie gras, sirloin and Dom Perignon. Sometimes life is filled with too many hard, but good choices. In any event, thank you WQXR. Stravinsky rocks!

Jul. 18 2012 11:34 AM
Counce from CT

To Bunny's query about the first performance of the Rite - Alex Ross's wonderful book on 20th century music "The Rest is Noise" (chap 3) does not mention that anecdote (as far as I can see). But the book is a must for music lovers. Yes - The Rite forever.

Jul. 18 2012 11:33 AM
Mat Dirjish from New York, NY

In a very happily-misspent youth filled with rock, jazz, and blues, I was introduced to Igor Stravinsky via Frank Zappa, who often quoted many of Stravinsky's themes and motiffs in his own organized sound patterns. Yes, you can't have too much Stravinsky. Go Petrouchka!

Jul. 18 2012 10:48 AM
Gabos Andrea from New York

Sacre de printemps is considered the most characteristic music of the XX. century

Jul. 18 2012 10:42 AM
Bunny Ottermoonski

Any Stravinsky is good Stravinsky; more Stravinsky is even better, but if I can only choose one, it's got to be The Rite of Spring!
Can anyone confirm if this story is true: I've always heard that after I-Strav conducted the first-ever performance of Rite of Spring, the audience, outraged by the raw provocative newness of it, started booing furiously, and that the maestro turned around and asked them "do you want to hear it again?"

I so want it to be true!!!

Jul. 18 2012 10:34 AM
Tim Judd from West Point

Any one of these will be great to hear, but I'd really like to heear what Maazel did with the Firebird. He always brings out something I have never heard before in a piece. Besides, Friebird has one of the best endings ever.

Jul. 18 2012 10:12 AM
Carolann from Denville,NJ

I've always been a sucker for that final movement in Firebird!

Jul. 18 2012 10:11 AM
KRISS from Piscataway, NJ

All Stravinski's ballets are marvelous! But since we heard Petruschka last evening on Exploring Music, and since we hear Rite of Spring rather often, I'm voting for Firebird today.

Jul. 18 2012 09:14 AM
Julia de Bary from Verona, NJ

All Stravinsky' vallet have something very special..... to day i will like to hear: The Rite of Spring
Thanks

Jul. 18 2012 07:15 AM
Tim Brown from Washington, DC

All are wonderful mid-day energizers - The Rite of Spring is my pick in honor of the riot it caused at its 1913 premier.

Jul. 18 2012 07:14 AM

Igor is the the master of movement in music! From swaggering drunken Tatars to waltzing clowns in love, from birds endlessly floating on air to the busy rush hour hustle, from summer evening beach strolls to broad brass fanfares on large squares, Igor has set music to all kinds of movement. Swing, tango, waltz, jazz, rock, all types of dance are there. But also ephemeral gliding, refreshing streaming, rolling thunder. Just listen to the first movement (...) of his rolling Sonata for Two Piano's or the uplifting meandering of the Violin Concerto. You simply cannot sit still, every part of your body is moved when listening to his music.

Jul. 18 2012 04:06 AM