Which Mozart Piece Hits the Mark?

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Tonight at 8 pm, WQXR presents a live broadcast of the second evening of the Mostly Mozart Festival. The all-Mozart program includes his Piano Concerto No. 20 with soloist Nelson Freire, and Symphony No. 38, “Prague.”

For today's Showdown, we asked you to vote for your favorite of three other Mozart masterpieces — the Clarinet Concerto in A, the Symphony No. 39 and the Symphony No. 41 "Jupiter" — which will be performed later this month at the festival. The Clarinet Concerto came out victorious and at noon we played the Cleveland Orchestra under the direction of George Szell performing the piece with clarinetist Robert Marcellus.

Gil Ash from New York

the Mozart Clarinet Concerto! Robert Marcellus, George Szell, and the Cleveland Orchestra!

Aug. 01 2012 12:27 PM
RJ from an office in Manhattan

The greatest rendition on the Mozart Clarinet Concerto! It doesn't get better than Robert Marcellus, George Szell, and the Cleveland Orchestra!

Aug. 01 2012 11:56 AM
Morty from Teaneck, NJ

Does it really make a difference? All three pieces reside at the summit of Mozart's output and hearing any of them makes me dream of what would have followed had he lived even another few years. But for today, I'll vote for the Clarinet Concerto K.622 so near the end but so buoyantly tuneful in the outer movements with a sublime adagio that could melt any heart. You've chosen a vintage recording, Szell/Marsellus. Can't wait to hear it again.... I hope.

Aug. 01 2012 11:54 AM
David Gravitz

I would have voted for his symphony #40 or his Piano Concertos # 20 or 24 if they had been on the ballot. However, I also love the Clarinet Concerto and am always happy to hear it again. I had tickets to hear it played by Benny Goodman at Mostly Mozart many years ago. He died a few days before the performance and Richard Stolzman played it beautifully. At his request, there was no applause when the piece was completed and no encore, in memory of Mr. Goodman

Aug. 01 2012 11:40 AM
Raymond Banacki from Brooklyn, New York

Please, Mozart's "Jupiter" Symphony, it's loaded with instrumental sounds and was his very last symphony. It is so hard to fathom this genuis's early death and the mystery that surrounds it.

Aug. 01 2012 11:34 AM
Tom from Montclair, NJ

The clarinet concerto is such a lovely piece: full of life, playful, and beautifully put together.

Aug. 01 2012 11:24 AM
John Blasdale from Whippany NJ

I was going to vote for the 39th Symphony, which I feel is far too little performed in comparison with ## 40 & 41; but then I heard that it's too far behind (maybe 18% of the vote). So I'm voting for my second choice, the Clarinet Concerto, and hoping that that will remain ahead.

Aug. 01 2012 11:07 AM
Tom from Manhattan

I am picking the clarinet concerto because the clarinet is such a lovely sounding instrument and there's just not enough individual focus on it in classical music -- it always seesm to be part of the "ensemble". Whether its Mozart or Artie Shaw, the clarinet deserves to be heard!

Aug. 01 2012 11:07 AM
Counce from Avon, CT

It may be that when the angels go about their task praising God, they play only Bach. I am sure, however, that when they are together en famille they play Mozart. Karl Barth

And you force us to choose?!

Aug. 01 2012 09:42 AM
Peter Kors from Los Angeles

Stop the presses! I made a mistake! I didn't mean K 622, I meant K 543, Symphony 39 in E flat. Sorry! The emotional breadth and scope of this piece are magnificent, all the way from the first motif to the wonderful trio in the Minuet Movement and beyond. My fave recording is the Karajan 1960 Angel recording with the Philharmonia Orch.

Aug. 01 2012 02:46 AM