Which Joshua Bell Violin Concerto Beckons You?

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Violinist Joshua Bell is back in town this weekend performing the Brahms Violin Concerto with the Mostly Mozart Festival Orchestra and conductor Louis Langree on Friday and Saturday night at Avery Fisher Hall.

For today’s Showdown, we asked you to pick your favorite violin concerto from three classic Bell performances. After a very close race, you chose Bell performing Bruch's Violin Concerto No. 1 with the Academy of St. Martin, under the direction of of Neville Marriner. We played it at noon.

Carolyn from Wickatunk NJ

I was unable to vote for the Joshua Bell performance of my choice today because I discovered my internet access, phone & TV were not operating. So frustrating! But I was rewarded when I heard the Bruch (would've been my vote) anyway. THANK YOU.

Aug. 15 2012 03:51 PM

Thank you for the choice...

Beautiful interpretation as always!!! As I said, all of these three choices was great!

I'd like to wish a great concert for those who will be able to hear and see him play at Avery Fischer Hall this weekend! For me it will be: listening the recorded version of his Brahms Concerto, in my IPhone, from my home, at Montreal, Canada!!! ;-D

Aug. 15 2012 12:58 PM
Bill Harter from Park Ridge, NJ

It's a shame the Corigliano received so few votes. The Red Violin is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Aug. 15 2012 12:05 PM
Peter Feldman from New York City

where is the place to vote/
Why it says that the survey ISN'T IT OPEN?
Shuoldn't say instead that the SURVEY WAS ALREADY CLOSED?

Aug. 15 2012 12:03 PM
Raymond Banacki from Brooklyn, New York

Thank God, I've had the pleasure of attending several of Joshua Bell's live performances. And, of course, I can always listen to his several CD's like 2003's "Romance Of The Violin". Whenever I am transported by the expert majesty of the man, I have to remind myself that he plays on a 300-year-old Stradivarius that is called a "Gibson ex Huberman" and that cost him a little under $4 million. I also love to remind myself that, in January of 2007, Joshua Bell played incognito in a Washington, D.C. subway and that only 7 people stopped to listen and that he made only $32.17. I would have to vote for Joshua Bell and the Jean Sibelius violin concerto. Joshua Bell, Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Los Angeles Philharmonic could only be a unique experience.

Aug. 15 2012 11:29 AM
Carol Lyons from Irvington, New York

Sibelius! Sibelius!
He is very neglected.
(Joshua Bell kisssed me on the cheek when he was substituting for Itzaak at a SUNY Purchase Concert a few years ago. Tell him)

Aug. 15 2012 11:14 AM
David Gravitz from Westchester County, NY

The Sibelius is one of my favorite concertos, with the Bruch a close second. Either one would be wonderful but I voted for the Sibelius.

Aug. 15 2012 11:11 AM
Grace

I would lo e to hear joshua bell play the bruch concerto.

Aug. 15 2012 11:05 AM
John from Hoboken

Yes, please, the Corigliano!

Aug. 15 2012 11:04 AM

I cast my vote for the Red violin's concerto, because it's the less heard on the radio. Mr. Bell has played on so many beautiful soundtracks, that's shame that we don't hear them more than that on the radio.

From the bottom of my heart, If I could propose you to hear my favorite of them, I shall say that you have to listen, at least once in your life, the delightful piece: "Ladies in lavender". The loveliness and serene side of that composition of Nigel Hess, and the interpretation of Mr. Bell is so viceral!!! *sigh*

No matter which one will be choose for noon... they are all great choices!

Aug. 15 2012 10:43 AM
Keith from New York City

I've heard Josh perform all three, and it is a close call. But of these, the Sibelius has to be my favorite. But I do wish the Barber were on the list as well.

Aug. 15 2012 10:28 AM
C. Hancock from Avon, CT

All selections are beautiful examples of Bell's artistry. But I, too, love the Sibelius.

And Sibelius is supposed to have said,"Pay no attention to what the critics say... Remember, a statue has never been set up in honor of a critic!" (he didn't know about Twain?)

Aug. 15 2012 10:21 AM
Thom from New York, NY

I love THE RED VIOLIN concerto by John Corigliano. A classic example of a really fine film score that successfully and quickly made the transition from the soundtrack to the concert stage. Beautifully played by Joshua Bell.

Aug. 15 2012 10:18 AM
Joseph Schmidt from Valley Stream, NY

I've had the great pleasure of hearing Mr. Bell perform both the Bruch and the Sibelius concerti, and although the Sibelius did put up a great fight, nothing is more pleasing to my ears than the second movement of the Bruch.
Mr. Bell has truly mastered his art - it is wonderful to hear him.

Enjoy!

Aug. 15 2012 10:14 AM
Chris from suburb of Cooperstown

The Bruch is a favorite of mine and it appears is a signature piece of Bell.

I live upstate (way beyond New Paltz) and am hearing Joshua Bell play the Brahms Violin Concerto tonight with the Philadelphia Orchestra at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center! Last week I saw the new conductor of the orchestra - Yannick Nezet-Seguin - a very impressive, exciting young conductor! On Friday evening I see Aida at Glimmerglass Festival. Classical music is alive and well in upstate New York!

Aug. 15 2012 09:58 AM
Jean McCarroll from New York, NY

The Sibelius violin concerto is my absolute favorite violin concerto. It sweeps me away!

Aug. 15 2012 08:55 AM