Mozart's Don Giovanni

Saturday, September 01, 2012

San Francisco Opera's new production of Mozart's classic dramedy features baritone Lucas Meachem in the title role. A former Adler Fellow who has appeared several times on the stage of San Francisco's War Memorial Opera House, he plays the proud, predatory nobleman as a true scoundrel. The ladies who are drawn to him are Ellie Dehn as Donna Anna, Serena Farnocchia as Donna Elvira and Kate Lindsey as Zerlina. Niccola Luisotti conducts.

CAST:
Don Giovanni   Lucas Meachem
Donna Anna   Ellie Dehn
Donna Elvira   Serena Farnocchia
Leporello   Marco Vinco
Don Ottavio   Shawn Mathey
Zerlina    Kate Lindsey
Masetto   Ryan Kuster
The Commendatore  Morris Robinson

CONDUCTOR:  Niccola Luisotti
STAGE DIRECTOR:  Gabriele Lavia
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA ORCHESTRA & CHORUS
CHORUS DIRECTOR: Ian Robertson

Sarah.E from The Bronx

Don G.is so bad he's great! I love that the wimpy final part was left out, so it ended with the one-way-trip to H-E and you know the rest. Mozart's best work outside His' Great Mass and Requiem and he got to finsh it! Yes.

Sep. 09 2012 05:00 PM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Thank you Mr. Eisenberg for the poem especially the video remarks.

Sep. 02 2012 07:08 AM
concetta nardone from Nassau

Amazing how the Don keeps seducing us. Terrible human being. Opera opens with an attempted rape and a murder. Beethoven was shocked at the story line. Later on, another attempted rape. I wonder if that dopey senator would call this a legitimate rape. What a cast of characters, Zerlina looking for a better deal, Donna Anna tormenting poor Don Ottavio, etc. And the glorious scene in the cemetery. Three bass voices. What a feast. The closing music whereby everyone voices their sentiments is beautiful. Sounds fuguelike to me. Lovely. I definitely would take the Don with me were I ever to be exiled somewhere.

Sep. 01 2012 02:29 PM
Larry Eisenberg from NYC

Don Giovanni's a Mozart delight!
The music's truly "out of sight",
Perhaps Wolfgang's best
And sung with such zest,
An Opera at Opera's height!

(As to that Traviata video:

To me a true staging blight,
My remaining hairs did affright,
That Chaplinesque clock
Was the essence of shlock,
Ten minutes, I bid it good night! )

Sep. 01 2012 02:17 PM
Bernie from UWS

Agree with Mary Jane. I too loved the Traviata and the contemporary staging. If opera is to be a living, breathing art form and not stuck in the past it needs to be open to a variety of interpretations. Modern stagings can coexist with a composer's intentions if done right. Shakespeare is presented in all sorts of contemporary contexts so much that no one bats and eye anymore. Opera fans need to be more open-minded about such things.

Sep. 01 2012 01:46 PM
Mary Jane Hodge from Melville

Sorry folks, but I disagree. The Yankees were boring and I found the ch.13 broadcast of Traviata and loved it. The stark scenery made it more exciting and "death" hovering was chilling. Thumbs up for me!

Sep. 01 2012 10:37 AM
concetta nardone from NASSAU

I agree with the prior comment about the recent telecast of Traviata. Awful. Not my favorite opera but tried to watch it for the Card Scene.
Had to switch off.

Sep. 01 2012 09:27 AM
Hendrik E. Sadi from Yonkers, NY

I find it very disconcerting to see an opera updated to reflect a more recent time.
It doesn't work, as it didn't work for a recent La Traviata production I saw on Channel Thirteen.
The composer composes music to reflect a time and to update it to another period with props, attitude, and custom change, looses the composition.

Hendrik E. Sadi